Exchange 2003 to 2010 mailbox

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm performing few mailbox migrations as part of an Exchange upgrade from 2003 to 2010. Nearly all users have been successfully migrated but 1x user has a mailbox of 6+GB sitting on 2003 so it has been left last. I setup an Outlook profile and archived his folders to a few .PSTs and got his mailbox down to ~600MB.

On the Exchange 2010 box, when I go to excecute the 'New Local Move Request' wizard, it still states a mailbox size of 6GB. The real problem here is that it contains a number of corrupted messages so it promptly fails.

Any ideas on how to get past this?

EDIT: I'm thinking that 2010 needs have a refreshed view of the legacy mailbox? Don't know, I'm kinda new to Ex2010.

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    On the move settings you can specify to skip corrupt messages

15mgwp5.jpg

Maximum number of mails to be skipped is 50 though. Any value higher than that needs to be done via EMS otherwise it will fail still.

As for the wrong size, is it reporting the new size correctly in the System Manager of Exchange 2003 ? If not, have a look here :

Microsoft KB891789
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to add to what he said, the corrupted messages can't be read by the Exchange server. Go ahead and drop them. I've had to do this in the past.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    You have to do this in EMS by tacking on "-allowlargedataloss".
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    On the move settings you can specify to skip corrupt messages

15mgwp5.jpg

Maximum number of mails to be skipped is 50 though. Any value higher than that needs to be done via EMS otherwise it will fail still.

As for the wrong size, is it reporting the new size correctly in the System Manager of Exchange 2003 ? If not, have a look here :

Microsoft KB891789

The mailbox has at least 53 messages so far that Ex2010 sees as corrupt, which will be too much of a loss for the user.

Technet says not to do the move from ESM and the tools are there in 2010 to do the migration. The wrong mailbox size is showing up in 2010 EMC. ESM shows the correct size of 603MB.
    You have to use the EMS to do migrations that skip over 50 corrupted messages. You have to use the -AcceptLargeDataLoss flag. I would export the mailbox to PST from Exchange 2003 so you'll have a copy and then migrate into 2010 using the flag above.
    Here's my plan:

Archive all mail to local .PST files.

From EMC, perform a move mailbox request with the -AcceptLargeDataLoss parameter. After the move, import the .PST files with the Ignore Duplicate Items option. This should hopefully fill in the gaps of uncopied corrupt messages.

My only concern is the unexpected variable of Ex2010 stating the wrong mailbox size. Won't really know the results until I hit the Enter key.
    You cannot move mailboxes with that flag using the EMC. It is EMS only at this point in 2010. That may change in the future.

The mailbox size may be a result of the removal of single instancing. Exchange 2010 no longer uses that technology. If this person has many duplicate items in his mailbox that number could be accurate. Without diving into researching the issue, that's my "fire from the hip" theory. My company saw a 125% increase in mailbox store size when we moved from 2003 to 2010.

Remember, exporting and importing the messages from PST will bring in all messages; including corrupted items. That's a pointless gesture since it can't be read by the Exchange server. If you are worried about lost items - which 1) can't be read by the server anyway and 2) probably won't be missed - export the mailbox to PST using Exmerge (2003) and then use run the migration for that mailbox using the EMS (2010) with the -AcceptLargeDataLoss flag.
    When you attempt to run a migration using the EMC with more than 50 items selected it will fail with the following message:
    Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:00

John X. Doe
    Failed

Error:
    Large BadItemLimit (55) is specified. Please confirm your intention to accept a large amount of data loss by specifying AcceptLargeDataLoss. This information will be kept in the logs with '####.pri/Domain Users/Finance & Administration/Information Technology/Domain Admin Accounts/USERACCOUNT' as the identity of the requestor. 
    Click here for help... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms.exch.err.default(EXCHG.140).aspx?v=14.1.267.0&t=exchgf1&e=ms.exch.err.ExD15B33

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    '####.pri/Testing/Users/John X. Doe' | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase 'No-Limit Database' -BadItemLimit '55'

Elapsed Time: 00:00:00

• Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    You will burn alot of time attempting to migrate this mailbox from 2003-2010. I would export everything to pst and import. Exchange 2010 has a great import feature.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    RTmarc wrote: »
    You cannot move mailboxes with that flag using the EMC. It is EMS only at this point in 2010. That may change in the future.

Sorry, typo on my behalf. EMS is what I meant.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be going ahead with this on Monday. It's be a logistical headache as the user is on holiday but still MUST be able to access all his mail. It took 3x hours just to export everything to PST.
    Got it done. I archived the bulk of the mail from an Outlook client to PSTs. I then ran the New-MoveRequest from EMC with the -AcceptLargeDataLoss flag and a -baditemlimit of 1000. Looks like the corrupted items were editing conflicts of some sort.

The corruption ran into the 100s but the moved went successfully and now it's just a matter of importing the PSTs back into the mailboxes.

Thanks for all the help.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Got it done. I archived the bulk of the mail from an Outlook client to PSTs. I then ran the New-MoveRequest from EMC with the -AcceptLargeDataLoss flag and a -baditemlimit of 1000. Looks like the corrupted items were editing conflicts of some sort.

The corruption ran into the 100s but the moved went successfully and now it's just a matter of importing the PSTs back into the mailboxes.

Thanks for all the help.

Before you import the PSTs back into the mailbox, perhaps give the user's the option to have it stored on their workstations. Assuming you have no retention requirements, that will take care of the issue of reimporting corrupted messages into the mailbox database(s).

Just another option.