Passed Cisco IPS Today

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
I really enjoyed studying for this exam, because I had zero practical knowledge of an IDS/IPS before. The great way I found to prepare for it was with things I do have experience with that it is similar to, being packet analysis and firewalls, which is essentially what an IPS is... performs packet analysis and has ACLs (signatures and anomaly detection mechanisms) that match patterns to take an action (drop, reset, log, alert, etc).

Anyhow, I am pausing on the Cisco certs for a little while now that I have completed the CCSP. PMP is next, which is a pressing one for me right now. Then, VCP just because the opportunity is present and I have experience.

After this Summer, I am going to study Cisco security again and likely do the new CCNP Security exams, and perhaps the CCNP exams, all in preparation for my endeavor for next year: CCIE Security.
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats for the pass and the certification!
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Congrats!

What did you use to study for IPS test?
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ooo... Congratulations!! Nice job! If memory serves me right, you've completed 4 exams in 3 months. Your example inspires me to get CCSP :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used the CBT Nuggets videos, and old Cisco IDS book from Cisco Press and documents on Cisco.com.As far as timeline goes, yes, I did the exams over three months. I started studying in November and did some online live courses for IINS and SNRS. What worked out the best was determining overlap between exams to shorten study times overall. IINS and SNRS have significant overlap, and there is some overlap in SNAF and SNAA. I would have loved to have done the new exams, but I was under pressure to get a professional cert done and there are no updated materials for the new exams yet.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. nice job.icon_cheers.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Well done. I found this the least enjoyable of the SP topics, and the least enjoyable exam. Good job getting through it so quickly.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    I'm getting a few IPS modules here at work to play with so it should make studying for this a bit more fun