Options

3560 in CCIE R&S Lab exam

auosauos Member Posts: 186
Hi,
Why need the Cisco Catalyst Switches 3560 in CCIE R&S Lab exam, is not Cisco Catalyst Switches 3550 enough? What kind of commands that support by 3560 and not supported by 3550.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can use 3550s in a home lab (and work around/skip any 3560 specific features in any workbook labs you're doing) and use rack rental to lab the 3560 specific features that you may be tested on in the Lab exam.

Catalyst 3560 and 3550 Comparison | INE

Private VLANs and the IPV6 support are probably the 2 biggest new features -- and Multicast and QoS support are some of the first things I look at for differences between switches.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You can use 3550s in a home lab (and work around/skip any 3560 specific features in any workbook labs you're doing) and use rack rental to lab the 3560 specific features that you may be tested on in the Lab exam.

Catalyst 3560 and 3550 Comparison | INE

Private VLANs and the IPV6 support are probably the 2 biggest new features -- and Multicast and QoS support are some of the first things I look at for differences between switches.

Great Info mike, thx.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I guess I should mention that some rack rental places (and home labs) give you 2 3560s and kept 2 of the older 3550 EMI switches -- so getting 4 3560 switches isn't totally necessary to do most of the 3rd party workbook labs.

I actually got 2 3750 switches, instead of the 3560 switches, since they were cheaper when I was switch upgrade shopping. I run those along with 2 3550 switches running the EMI code.

I also have 2 NME-16ES-1G-P modules in a 3745. Those run the 3750 switch code and each one gives you the equivalent of a 16 port 3750 switch (with a 1 gig uplink port and an internal 1 gig port you use to talk to the host router). I think we have a couple threads over in the CCVP forum about those modules. If you use these -- or the 8 port 3560 switches -- you may have to change the ports from the 3rd party workbooks used for the trunks (and maybe trunk a 2950 to get enough plain access ports).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Ya if you are gonna go after the CCIE you will definitely want some 3560 access. I personally dont own any, but work lets me use 2 at home to practice. Like mike said, IPv6 is huge, and there are just some syntax differences in the way you can control mtu, and multicast routing that you should be aware of (nothing that should really hurt you though b/c of context sens. help). Also, srr-queuing is a big topic that you have to repeatedly practice that is on the 3560's.
  • Options
    Tnx men for replay, I try to get 3560 but still to expensive icon_sad.gif.