Options

Are these the official study books for the RHCE 6 Exam

block921block921 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Are these the official study books for the RHCE 6 Exams? I'm tempted to get it to save a ton of money rather than paying 4000 for the course

OFFICIAL RedHat Training Book RHCE 300 Linux RHEL 5 & 6 | eBay

Comments

• Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They look like they are, but it is impossible to tell. Also I'm pretty sure there is a rule against selling these to anyone so you might want to be careful about purchasing them. If you are looking for something other than the official training to use check out this book instead:

Amazon.com: Hands-on Guide to the Red Hat(R) Exams: RHCSA™ and RHCE(R) Cert Guide and Lab Manual (Certification Guide) (9780321767950): Damian Tommasino: Books
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nightshade,
    On the book you didnt talk about how to create a lvm from the gui,
    im having problems recalling all the cmds...
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    joneno wrote: »
    Nightshade,
    On the book you didnt talk about how to create a lvm from the gui,
    im having problems recalling all the cmds...

The GUI will slow you down on the exam, which is why I specifically didn't do any of the tasks via the GUI. You should use the built in --help to lookup options, but you will need to remember the actual commands or look in the /usr/bin and /sbin directories for them. Just make sure that you can do this quickly your time is limited on the exam.
  • Options
    sounds good to me, i guess am just being lazy about learning all that cmds...Going forward, do you think I have to be good in scripting to be a linux administrator. I'm from the windows world, I recently switched to linux and its kinda fun, but a lot to learn.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    block921 wrote: »
    Are these the official study books for the RHCE 6 Exams? I'm tempted to get it to save a ton of money rather than paying 4000 for the course

OFFICIAL RedHat Training Book RHCE 300 Linux RHEL 5 & 6 | eBay

Well I really don't understand it since it was the express course but there were 24 bids and it closed at $202.50. I think that would cover all the commercial books available at be legitimate also. That ebay, what a concept eh. I expect to see real exam walkthroughs for 6 shortly. Gee 10 times the price of Damians book, add Nightshades in and a few others and there is plenty of dosh left for beer and chips.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    I think one of the best classes i took at the local community college in d.c was the redhat class. It ended yesterday, the class used books from the redhat academy online manual, the whole semester. The finals was a 2 part question...(part 1) troubleshooting,permissions,selinux (part2) installation thru nfs, fix all broken files-like xwindows, network files, lvm,fstab and much more.

After the exam the professor told us we should get a mail about our result. And he said if we pass the exam, there is nothing stopping us from passing the rhcsa exam.
  • Options
    /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The RHEL6 RH300 books are more of a "workbook" that you have to work through during the class. At least that is what it was earlier this year. That means if someone wrote crap notes or didn't take any notes the book is worthless. Even if the notes were great (which they probably are not, not a lot of time to take notes during the classes), it still isn't a perfect guide.

As far as the LVM GUI point... there are possibly a few things the GUI can come in handy for. It's best to know the all the commands and I'd say 99% of what I do is always via a SSH terminal/command line. I'd be lying if I said I never used the GUI for the LVM to quickly do some stuff and visually see it.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    i see you're currently learning scripting, how is that coming along?
  • Options
    /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We'll I've done scripting in the past. I'm trying to get much better and take it a few steps further. However things have been so busy at work I haven't had much time to get through the book. I'm most likely going to skip around to applicable chapters.

I already have most of my main server config builds scripted either in shell scripts or post install scripts in a kickstart file. I just want to combine them into one or two uber scripts and do much more error reporting.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯