Post cissp ......

blackholeblackhole Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just need your thoughts what action people takes post Certification .....

1) applying for a job elsewhere
2) starting new business based on this certification
3) staying same company and wait for opportunity comes for climbing the ladder

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'll let you know after I ever get final word back ................

LOL.

Of course, I plan to go for a higher-paying job (duh) LOL.

But, I'm always trying for a higher-paying job.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It really depends. Did your company pay for the class/test? If so you may have obligations to stay with them for x amount of time or you have to pay them back to cover the costs of the class/test.

If you paid for the class/test and you feel you are not being paid what you "think" you are worth, then by all means test the waters. I would never start a business based on just a certification. That's just a recipe for disaster (IMO).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • blackholeblackhole Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did by my own .... just want to hear the steps people have taken post CISSP. so if I have missed anything above please free to Add.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Any certification is only a single rung on the long ladder to somewhere else. The CISSP might be the last rung you need to achieve a goal (such as marketing yourself as a credible consultant), or it might be one of the first rungs you use to a future goal (such as management, but you still need work experience and a masters degree, and a few more certs).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    as everybody knows CISSP granted when you have 5 yrs exp in either 2 domains. Let say while studying CISSP you get interested in a domain other than you claimed for gaining CISSP. ..... for that matter you considered NEW to that DOMAIN being CISSP. Is there anything where people consider Entry Level opening ?

example :

person "A" has > 5 yrs exp in Telecom and Access control domain and after CISSP if person "A" wants to pursue practice in BCP DR.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    JDMurray wrote:
    Any certification is only a single rung on the long ladder to somewhere else. The CISSP might be the last rung you need to achieve a goal (such as marketing yourself as a credible consultant), or it might be one of the first rungs you use to a future goal (such as management, but you still need work experience and a masters degree, and a few more certs).
    A link to the "cans of coke" analogy by keatron fits in well here.
    sabooher wrote:
    I'm tired of switching jobs every few years which is what I've been doing regardless of certification. So I'm staying put for a while. However, if an opening crops up that I'm a fit for with my current employer I will probably look into it. But even after achieving the cissp my salary isn't going to change by much more than it already has from experience. I didn't obtain the cissp for financial gain anyway.
    Nods, I pursued it (don't have it yet, waiting on ISC2) because of the following: 1. I saw other co-workers with it. (If they can do it, why can't I?) 2. I saw job openings that I was otherwise qualified for requiring it. (Don't want anything to ever hold me back.) 3. Never had a job promised because of it, just want to make myself more marketable in the future.
    Of course, I think all experience pays off (when you make mistakes more than anything else ... but if you can somehow avoid those mistakes through education, why don't you?)
    blackhole wrote:
    as everybody knows CISSP granted when you have 5 yrs exp in either 2 domains. Let say while studying CISSP you get interested in a domain other than you claimed for gaining CISSP. ..... for that matter you considered NEW to that DOMAIN being CISSP. Is there anything where people consider Entry Level opening ?
    example :
    person "A" has > 5 yrs exp in Telecom and Access control domain and after CISSP if person "A" wants to pursue practice in BCP DR.
    I get what you're saying blackhole. Not much to worry about. People don't usually get into business continuity planning and disaster recovery as newbs. You really can't do that as a "newb". With whatever you've been doing these years, you've probably faced some level of "disaster" situations in the past, and that experience is useful in helping you advise your customers, in the future. If you have been fortunate to avoid catastrophic loss due to proper planning, kudos to you, as systems will fail, as machines are not perfect.
    BCP/DR involves looking at the entire business, not just the servers and network connections. I hope this makes sense to you?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 : BCP/DR is just an example, point is is there any way you can change your domain post CISSP. considering CISSP is granted based on 5+ experience in any two domains. so does that means any domain out of those two are are CISSP Associate :)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The two+ domains are considered when you apply to take the CISSP exam and when you get endorsed after passing the exam. What domains your work and studies include after you are fully CISSP certified doesn't matter to the (ISC)2 (unless you are getting additional certifications).
    thanks JD .... this forum is full of information !!! glad I came across