Options

New to CompTIA Security world and needs your help.

azzasazzas Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello

I have the following books:
-CompTIA Security+ Study Guide-> fourth edition and Deluxe edition by Emmett Dulaney.
-CompTIA Security+ 2008 In Depth -> by Mark Ciampa.
-CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition).
-CompTIA Security+ All in one -> 2nd edition By Gregory B. White
-security+ guide to Networks Security Fundamentals-> thid edition by Mark Ciampa.
-CompTIA Security+ Certification Study Guide-> thid edition by by Ido Dubrawsky.
-CompTIA Security+ Certification Instructor’s Edition

Please advice what is the best (easier, better organized, more comprehensive ) to study the Security+? Or if there is a better book what is its name?!

Also regarding the videos, which is better CBT nuggets or TrainSignal or something else and what is the downloading links?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

This should be the only book you'll ever need for the Security+ exam. I studied it for 10 days after failing the exam the first time and I passed with a very good score.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome to the forum.

Gibson's book is what most here will recommend. The videos may be overkill, but everyone is different so they may work for you.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree, Gibson's and maybe the ExamCram guide for Security+. Anything more is overkill.
  • Options
    thisguy85thisguy85 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should definitely get two different books.

Do not get Exam Cram! It is terrible. Riddled with contradictions, errors, incomplete/runoff sentances, etc. Not to mention many of the questions are not indicative of the real exam.

I just took and passed the Security+ exam today with a score of 852 so I can vouch that the material and practice tests in David L. Prowse' Cert Guide (ISBN 978-0-7897-4713-6) and Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead (ISBN 978-1-4392-3636-9) are extremely accurate and indicative of the real exam. I loved that Darril's book was large print and both books were great, but in my opinion David's Cert Guide went a little bit more in detail on some things. Bottom line....I strongly discourage the use of Exam Cram and strongly promote the use of David and Darril's Security+ material.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didnot try the DG Book but went for

CompTIA Security+ Study Guide-> fourth edition and Deluxe edition by Emmett Dulaney.

and the

CompTIA Security+ Certification Study Guide-> thid edition by by Ido Dubrawsky

Each book had its own strength and some book covered a few topics which the others left out

so my advice would be to get more than 1 book - That should help
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    BlueEyedSamuraiBlueEyedSamurai Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Professor Messer is in the process of posting free videos for the Security + exam (Professor Messer's Free CompTIA SY0-301 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training). Have a look at them. They go through all exam objectives for the exam.

-Samurai
    Always studying for something!
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril Gibson, period.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jinuyr wrote: »
    Darril Gibson, period.

LOL, Darril probably love TE for our great devotion to his Security+ book. icon_lol.gif