Security + Dilemma

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
After reading several hundred pages of Darrill's book, I found that security is not for me. But the information is very interesting and informative. I'll take this knowledge with me as I ascend through my career.

There is one dilemma. I am having a hard time spending the money on this exam knowing that I won't go into this field. At least in the foreseeable future.

After spending all this time reading and going over the practice questions it seems like a waste to not take the exam. But then again 266 is a lot of money to me and don't see this helping out a whole lot.

Comments

• afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I see a lot of people who think that security it some guys sole job and every other techie is just there to fix and maintain servers. Security + is intended to show you how to configure and secure various components of a network in theory. When you run a network patch management is function of security. When you implement PKI its meant to provide you with additional security but theses things aren't done by a "security guy" they are done by sys admins with security as part of their job. If you work HD and see a user do something they shouldnt and you correct that is security. Helping update AV signatures is part of security but can be done by a HD tech.

What did you think security was about? Or the better question is what was your goals in security that you wanted to fulfill?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see your point about not ponying up the $$$ for the Sec+. If it's not required for your career then it's just more important that you understand some of the concepts discussed in the Sec+ study guides and such than actually having the cert.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    N2IT wrote: »
    There is one dilemma. I am having a hard time spending the money on this exam knowing that I won't go into this field. At least in the foreseeable future.

After spending all this time reading and going over the practice questions it seems like a waste to not take the exam. But then again 266 is a lot of money to me and don't see this helping out a whole lot.
    I agree it would be a bit of a waste not to take the exam after preparing for it, but you can spend money only once, so if you have an alternative exam/cert in mind that you think will be more beneficial to you on the short term you might want to considering holding off on this one.

That said, Security+ is not just for those who want to enter the infosec arena, it covers many basics most or better every IT pro should know something about. It can make a difference when you apply for a sys or net admin job and you have Sec+ in addition to other certs. Actually, Security+ is usually more valuable in other fields than infosec as for the latter they typically ask higher level or vendor-specific security certs.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having Done the Sec+ i see it a major step in setting my Security Career. As pointed out it is a waste of money because the Exam is a bit pricey and is valid only for 3 years ( which must be renewed thru the CE Program)

But as far as the Comptia Exams goes this is a popular Exam after the A+.
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    If I were you I'd spend the time/money on higher end certs.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I think it's good resume filler
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for all the good replies.

Repo which more advance one would you recommend?

Currently I have been studying for ITIL Service Transition and Security +.

I registered for this coming Friday.

Going for it.
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    If my memory is correct on your current job/certs I'd go one of two routes: Masters degree and strictly ITIL if you want to do management or MS Server / Cisco if you want to go more technical.

Material wise it's always good to learn more but you can max out a return on "entry level" certs. I'd say you're at that level.
    Repo Man wrote: »
    If my memory is correct on your current job/certs I'd go one of two routes: Masters degree and strictly ITIL if you want to do management or MS Server / Cisco if you want to go more technical.

Material wise it's always good to learn more but you can max out a return on "entry level" certs. I'd say you're at that level.

I think you are probably right :D

ITIL Service Transition is next. I figured Security + is fairly well known so I'll take the exam and then turn full attention to ITIL.

The MCSE of service management lol
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    That is a chunk of dough. I wouldn't do it either unless my employer paid for it.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    ehnde wrote: »
    That is a chunk of dough. I wouldn't do it either unless my employer paid for it.

Ehnde you aren't joking. I cringed when I hit submit today. Hope I pass that would be horrible to pay 266 and then come up empty. I've read Darrill book and started reading the Sybex book given to me by one of my employees. I will say this if I walk away from this with a fail, I am not retaking it. No way lol

I honestly have to stop certing after this. I already paid for my ITIL course with my tax return which includes the exam so I will be really focused on that as well once this is over, good or bad. Bottom line is after this I really have to hit the breaks, Comptia exam are making me poor lol.
    If you pass Sec + you are now DOD 8570 IAT 2 and IAM 1 level certified. Its a good cert to have if you want to move into a DOD sys admin job or work in IA.
    afcyung wrote: »
    If you pass Sec + you are now DOD 8570 IAT 2 and IAM 1 level certified. Its a good cert to have if you want to move into a DOD sys admin job or work in IA.

Thanks for the heads up! Great info
    started reading the Sybex book given to me by one of my employees.

I found the testing cd that came with the book to be very helpful
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • soooowutnowsoooowutnow Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□

Can you tell me how to go about finding a job like this? That sounds really interesting to me. I just passed S+ on Sat.
    2018 Achievements:
    Cloud Essentials SME
    Project+
    CRISC

2019 To conquer:
    Maybe CGEIT? I don't know - help!
    usajobs.gov. Is the main system to hire civilians. There is contractor work and that is sourced through the companies filling the contract so you would have to search DoD contractors.
  • soooowutnowsoooowutnow Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    usajobs.gov. Is the main system to hire civilians. There is contractor work and that is sourced through the companies filling the contract so you would have to search DoD contractors.

Thanks!
    2018 Achievements:
    Cloud Essentials SME
    Project+
    CRISC

2019 To conquer:
    Maybe CGEIT? I don't know - help!
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I found the testing cd that came with the book to be very helpful

Mike the practice exams helped a lot.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Mike the practice exams helped a lot.

I really feel they put me over the top... Currently studying CCENT, and I did not like the Sybex book, so I switched books, but I'm glad to have those Sybex cds
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • louisevlouisev Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This certification is required for anyone, contractor or full-timer, who touches a government or defense system. If you don't have it, you'll be required to get it. My company does primarily government contracts, and we all have to go through this drill.