Network+,Server+,Security+ within 4 months???

ve took the preperation classes for all the certifications listed in the title of the thread. however starting WGU for this fall for their BS in Information Technology - Networks Administrationobtaining these certs could help me as far as waiving some classes out . With 3-4 hours of studying each day for the next 4 months could these certs be obtainable upon starting class.
Currently Studying for Network+, Server+, and Security+

The computer was born to solve problems that did not exist before

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems reasonable given the time frame. Net+ and Sec+ only took me a few weeks each to study for.
    One question though..What class would the Server+ cert get you to waive?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • geeksquad09geeksquad09 Member Posts: 177
    earweed wrote: »
    It seems reasonable given the time frame. Net+ and Sec+ only took me a few weeks each to study for.

Im not sure i will have to ask. I just remember speaking to him yesterday he sent me a list of certifications that waiver certain classes, and Sever + waives out AJV1 aka (Server Administration). not 100% sure icon_rolleyes.gif

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I checked and it waives ABV1 (operating systems) which is probably a good move for you to take Server+ to waive it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    FWIW i spent about 4 weeks each, studying about 4 hours a day for the A+ and N+ exams. I'd say you need more time for Sec+ given the cost and % to pass. Can you do it - yes, but i'd hate to rush one and lose the $$ on a fail.
    earweed wrote: »

Went up to Barnes and Noble and grabbed a copy of "Mike Meyers Certification Passport Network+ 3rd Addition, and Exam Cram Security Plus

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    why not just start WGU sooner and take the certs on their dime? WGU is gonig to have you take CIW and A+ before Network+ or Security+ and i think that's a good idea...

the school I went to had me take HDI and ITIL before A+/Net+ and it was a pretty good primer, but now that I'm studying CIW for WGU, it really covers a wide base of info from A+, Net+, and Security+.

I would think once you got CIW down pat, then went to + all that info would just build from there and take you on to Network+ and Security+.

Is there a reason you're delaying WGU until the fall?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    why not just start WGU sooner and take the certs on their dime? WGU is gonig to have you take CIW and A+ before Network+ or Security+ and i think that's a good idea...

the school I went to had me take HDI and ITIL before A+/Net+ and it was a pretty good primer, but now that I'm studying CIW for WGU, it really covers a wide base of info from A+, Net+, and Security+.

I would think once you got CIW down pat, then went to + all that info would just build from there and take you on to Network+ and Security+.

Is there a reason you're delaying WGU until the fall?

I have a summer class at my current school im taking

• kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    around 560 hours of study/4 months

sounds like a reasonable time for 3 certs.

Specially if you already know basic or are familiar with the concepts.
    If you are a total "n00b" to I.T. then no, I dont think is enough.

If you know the basic and you are a very well self disciplined person, I'd say go for it.

But then again, have this as a goal, dont beat yourself into it.
    meh
  • OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ve took the preperation classes for all the certifications listed in the title of the thread. however starting WGU for this fall for their BS in Information Technology - Networks Administrationobtaining these certs could help me as far as waiving some classes out . With 3-4 hours of studying each day for the next 4 months could these certs be obtainable upon starting class.

Dude,

I think you are giving CompTIA certs too much credit. In 2010 I got all three in 3 months because 2011 was the deadline of which they would start having to be renewed. I beat the deadline and am certified for life but really it was easy for all three. All you need is those $30 mike myers passport books.

EDIT: The reason it took three months is I could only budget one cert a month at the time
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For Security+ I would still suggest this book:
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

Some new objectives have been added to the SY-301 but I didn't see anything on the objectives sheet that couldn't be wiki'd. :D

http://www.comptia.org/Libraries/Exam_Objectives/CompTIA_Security_SY0-301.sflb.ashx <-- SY-301 Objectives (Current Security+ exam)

I believe that Security+ will take the shortest time of the three but it all depends on your familiarity with the terms and your experience. Network+ and Server+ shouldn't be too bad; the only thing I would say is that the Network+ is a very broad exam so keeping the material contained and organized is essential. Kurosaki (Ichigo :P) is right though; at the end of the day it comes down to your experience with all the material.

End Answer: Is this doable in four months? I think you can do it if you put your mind to it! icon_cheers.gif