Options

Firewall 642-617

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi

I will be attending the Cisco Firewall 642-617 with Global Knowledge next week. Has anyone done the course with Global and how did you find it? I'm still finding study material very scarce. I have been using SNAF CBT Nuggets in prep for the course next week. I would like to get the exam done within at least 2 to 3 weeks of taking the course. Has anyone taking the exam? If their is can you recommend any practice exams? I have been working with ASA's for about a year now. I'm hoping this experience and prelimanry SNAF study plus the course and 2 to 3 weeks of study/practice exams should get me through the real exam. Any advice/tips etc would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have had a quick look and it looks good. Although I think this may be a book that sits on my desk that I can use to refer to for information when required. Its quite chunky and very detailed over a 1000 pages. Did you use this as a study guide and have you passed the exam? Can you recommend any practice exams for the real exam? thanks
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    When I got a bunch of ASA55xx's for work also had them order that book and worked through it, prior to placing them in production. It is a great book for reference I've looked back at it a handful of times but it covers a lot of the ASA if you lab with the book. After viewing the Exam Objectives, that book more or less covers all that. I haven't trekked down the CCNP:Sec path yet.. So I haven't taken this exam yet.. So I'm not speaking from experience. The exam is still new and I'm kind of waiting for material from Cisco Press first. (I might pursue CCNP:Sec next year..

(any CCNP test is long road to travel down, and the way I look at it, the longer I wait the longer I work with the technology and the longer I work with the technology the easier the exam is)

Plus i've got a few IPS devices coming over the next few months and just want to work with them first and get the full scope of the CCNP:Sec before I pursue it. (IPS is the only thing I haven't worked with enough to feel comfortable with)

P.S. I also just found this on Amazon: Amazon.com: CCNP Security Firewall 642-617 Official Cert Guide (9781587142796): David Hucaby, David Garneau, Anthony Sequeira: Books - I didn't even know they official guides where out yet. I don't get the picture of the security camera but ok..

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    When I got a bunch of ASA55xx's for work also had them order that book and worked through it, prior to placing them in production. It is a great book for reference I've looked back at it a handful of times but it covers a lot of the ASA if you lab with the book. After viewing the Exam Objectives, that book more or less covers all that. I haven't trekked down the CCNP:Sec path yet.. So I haven't taken this exam yet.. So I'm not speaking from experience. The exam is still new and I'm kind of waiting for material from Cisco Press first. (I might pursue CCNP:Sec next year..

(any CCNP test is long road to travel down, and the way I look at it, the longer I wait the longer I work with the technology and the longer I work with the technology the easier the exam is)

Plus i've got a few IPS devices coming over the next few months and just want to work with them first and get the full scope of the CCNP:Sec before I pursue it. (IPS is the only thing I haven't worked with enough to feel comfortable with)

P.S. I also just found this on Amazon: Amazon.com: CCNP Security Firewall 642-617 Official Cert Guide (9781587142796): David Hucaby, David Garneau, Anthony Sequeira: Books - I didn't even know they official guides where out yet. I don't get the picture of the security camera but ok..

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Hi Steve thanks for the additonal book recommendation. I think I'm going to go on the course next week see what the books are like and perhaps use them if any good. I have been contemplating adding two 5505 to my lab for practice as well. Anyways thanks for the tip. I will be sure to post in the next few weeks to let you know how im getting on.

Thanks CJ