Passed 70-680 today (It was a beast of a test)

ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
Finally after two attempts, I passed the 70-680 test with a score of 890. I must say the first time I went into the test I was WAY over confident. This test is a beast and you really need to know your stuff.

I took what I missed on the first try and studies my but off and it paid off. I used the CBT nuggets and Labsim, although Labsim was a bit disappointing. The MS press book was no help at all IMHO.

Next up the CCENT/CCNA.
Working on currently:
Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1

Comments

• wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job on passing great score!
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    TY it was a lot more in-depth than I expected.
    Working on currently:
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing, that's a nice score.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass..:)
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • jfieldjfield Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've never posted here before but I felt like I had to because I passed the test yesterday, and got the exact same score as you. I was also taking it for WGU. It was my fourth attempt, the first 3 times I went in confident and came out crushed, so to do so well on my final attempt (you can only do 4 in a year) made me really happy.

It really is a beast of a test.
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Glad to hear, congrats on the pass. It was definitely not what I expected. I took the test with a grain of salt and it buried me. Now we know for next time right :)
    Working on currently:
  • JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajmatson wrote: »
    ...Labsim was a bit disappointing....

Congrats on Passing!!

Can you elaborate on this please?

I am using Labsim through WGU as well as reading through Derril's Win7 book and Don Poulton's Win7 book to prepare for this exam. I have a great lab environment at home and at work I manage a server running WDS and MDT.

Is Labsim a useful resource?

Thanks!
    Lab on!
  • jfieldjfield Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It might be but I didn't like it. I actually just used the MS press book, read through it and took extensive notes and then studied my notes on my iPad. Worked really well, thankfully. I tried uCertify as well but I don't have the patience for practice exams most of the time.
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!!

Nice score icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. icon_thumright.gif
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Congrats!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    What made the test difficult? Any particular section?

I am pretty up to speed with the SOHO workings of Windows 7, but I fall to pieces with Auto Dep and Imaging, simply because I do not use those features, and have never had the chance to work with them in a lab enviornment, I don't have the money to buy a subscription and I don't have an extra computer lying around. Would you say there is an easier MS test than this one?
  • Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    I have Labsim/testout as well, and it very disapointing. In the past there was tons of labs and "hands" on things to do. For the 680 it was a bunch of videos and maybe a small quiz. I think there was one or two actual do something labs.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    Got any good advice? I've failed it 3 times already!
    Got any good advice? I've failed it 3 times already!

Yes, take a break from it, pick up the 685 or 686. According to what I've read around here, if you can pass one of those, you can pass 680 as well.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• hfbonurahfbonura Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I definitely need some advice, HELP! I have been in voice network support for the past 12 years (Nortel before it imploded) and have decided to branch out into the IT/Data world. I actually took a 3 week classroom training course for the 70-680 (essentially the instructor just read the MS Press 70-680 book aloud) and did the practice tests on the MS book DVD and the MeasureUp website and would usually score in the mid 90%'s. Took the actual exam yesterday and scored a 394! Unfortunately, I only have a laptop to use and probably don't have the hardware for lab simulations. I did find the questions on the lesson reviews on the book DVD to be closer to the actual exam than the practice tests. Any other tips out there?
    Thanks!
    hfbonura wrote: »
    I definitely need some advice, HELP! I have been in voice network support for the past 12 years (Nortel before it imploded) and have decided to branch out into the IT/Data world. I actually took a 3 week classroom training course for the 70-680 (essentially the instructor just read the MS Press 70-680 book aloud) and did the practice tests on the MS book DVD and the MeasureUp website and would usually score in the mid 90%'s. Took the actual exam yesterday and scored a 394! Unfortunately, I only have a laptop to use and probably don't have the hardware for lab simulations. I did find the questions on the lesson reviews on the book DVD to be closer to the actual exam than the practice tests. Any other tips out there?
    Thanks!

hmm. Well, I'd use more the one book, there is a bunch out there. I used three different ones. You dont have to lab to pass the test, but people suggest labbing because it helps nail into your mind what to do for each situation and usually people can remember things easily if they've done it first hand. Also, check out CBT Nuggets videos as they help (they are a little boring, and dry) or Professor Messor (very good videos and are free!).

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any recommendations for Kaplan Self Tests? There seems to be a buzz concerning this on this forum.
    Once again, thanks!
    Thanks for the advice. Do you have any recommendations for Kaplan Self Tests? There seems to be a buzz concerning this on this forum.
    Once again, thanks!

Sorry never used them.

• StilgarStilgar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @ajmatson:

Congrats!
    I passed 70-680 yesterday with a score of 890, after two attempts, too. I failed this two attempts because I didn't learn at all. Before third attempt I learned through a whole weekend 17/24h.
    Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Sorry never used them.
    Congrats on passing the 70-680. Just wanted to say "Thanks" one more time for the advice. Got the Ucertify and it looks like it will be a great help. Found the one copy of the Don Poulton book in all of Raleigh, NC @Barnes and Noble and headed out to get it now. Ciao!
    Congrats on passing the 70-680. Just wanted to say "Thanks" one more time for the advice. Got the Ucertify and it looks like it will be a great help. Found the one copy of the Don Poulton book in all of Raleigh, NC @Barnes and Noble and headed out to get it now. Ciao!

Good luck on your test and keep us updated! If you get stuck on something feel free to jump into the forum and ask a question. The senior forum members are like a gold mine of information to pick at.