Options

So how do you terminate a scsi...

chris2wirechris2wire Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took this practice exam that asked "What do you use to terminate a scsi etc etc etc"

Out of 4 options, 1 of them was a terminator. and one was a resistor. The resistor was the correct answer, but really couldn't the terminator be correct?

So, on the test, which one is actually correct?

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a tough one.

Technically 'resistor' is correct because that's what a SCSI terminator is.
    However most people in the industry us the word 'terminator' because it's about terminating a SCSI chain.

Even Wikipedia is not 100% clear here. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I love the 2 answer questions
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    It depends on if its Terminator 1, 2 , or 3 icon_lol.gif

Actually even resistor can be debatable, active termination uses logic, while impedance matching is the goal, it is not accomplished with a physical resistor, its usually done with TTL logic. i.e transistor or diode circuits.

But, out of the given answers, resistor would be most correct since resistance is what termination in the scsi sense means, keeping signals from deflecting back on the chain. The method of accomplishing the impedance usually isnt done by physicsl resistors anymore though.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p