Passed both A+ exams today!

MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
All that hard work studying finally paid off! I got an 885 on the Essentials and an 843 on the Practical.

I felt the Essentials was extremely easy; there were only about 2 questions I wasn't sure of (which I got wrong) and about 10 of them that I had 50/50 chance of getting right and chose based on my instincts.

The practical had a few questions that I was entirely unsure of, but based on the other three answers to choose from, I could figure it out which one was right. And then there were some that had questions that I guessed between two answers and probably got a lot of them wrong.

I used Mike Meyers book, Professor Messer's videos, note taking (cable lengths and speed, OS requirements, command line switches, etc), PrepLogic 15 minute guides, and the couple of documents that came with my GetCertify4Less voucher. Edit: And personal experience.

Mike Meyer's book is great, but, I get way too extremely bored with these kinds of books, so it took me a few months to get through. I did Professor Messer's videos in about a week and a half, doing mostly 3 hours a day. Video for me is a MUCH better learning tool, so I think it was the most helpful, although not as detailed. I think another great tool for the test is using natural logic.

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

What's next?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks!!

I'm not sure what's next exactly. I'm pretty desperate to find an entry level IT job anywhere in the country (USA) before I take on any more certifications, and that will help me learn more about I.T. in a larger scale environment. With that said, I am a little bit worried that knowing the material of the A+ isn't really enough knowledge to get me through a day-to-day help desk job or something of that sort, so I'm not sure what jobs I'm actually qualified for. I also have a bachelor's degree in I.T. but I feel like I didn't retain/learn hardly anything there, so it's mostly just to show that I was capable of learning this stuff.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great to hear. Congrats!!!!icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
    Mirth wrote: »
    Thanks!!

I'm not sure what's next exactly. I'm pretty desperate to find an entry level IT job anywhere in the country (USA) before I take on any more certifications, and that will help me learn more about I.T. in a larger scale environment. With that said, I am a little bit worried that knowing the material of the A+ isn't really enough knowledge to get me through a day-to-day help desk job or something of that sort, so I'm not sure what jobs I'm actually qualified for. I also have a bachelor's degree in I.T. but I feel like I didn't retain/learn hardly anything there, so it's mostly just to show that I was capable of learning this stuff.

Well; you can start studying for CCENT/CCNA while looking for the big break into the IT world. No point in waiting till then....icon_wink.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You may also want to consider a Microsoft Exam or something specialized in what you what to end up doing in the end. CCNx is a good starting point for networking, depending on where you're going. Most buisness platforms and large companies do like a Microsoft certified professional as well.
  • poszeoneposzeone Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□