How do i access 1142 AP's web gui?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
it gave the ap a static ip through the wlc, then when i try to access the web gui using that ip, i get nothing. ahouldnt this be pretty straightforward?

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    tdean wrote: »
    it gave the ap a static ip through the wlc, then when i try to access the web gui using that ip, i get nothing. ahouldnt this be pretty straightforward?

Since your using a WLC, then the AP is an LWAP and you won't be able to get the web interface. You should be able to handle all configurations through the WLC
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    thanks again Steve. i think i've learned more from you than my Cisco books.
    No problem.

You can still access the LWAP via SSH (or telnet but that doesn't count), it's useful for debugging client association/connectivity issues, just don't try and configure it via the CLI.
    My Networking blog
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    No problem.

You can still access the LWAP via SSH (or telnet but that doesn't count), it's useful for debugging client association/connectivity issues, just don't try and configure it via the CLI.
    aahh, yes, i noticed that today. finally had a chance to really look at this stuff. heres a question while i have you.... i have the 3 Ap's, but it appears 2 will be just fine for us. can i take that 3rd AP and set it up at our other location and have it still be under the control of the WLC? we use subnet 2.1 over there and 1.1 at the main location, so i could configure it while connected at the main location, then move it?
    tdean wrote: »
    aahh, yes, i noticed that today. finally had a chance to really look at this stuff. heres a question while i have you.... i have the 3 Ap's, but it appears 2 will be just fine for us. can i take that 3rd AP and set it up at our other location and have it still be under the control of the WLC? we use subnet 2.1 over there and 1.1 at the main location, so i could configure it while connected at the main location, then move it?

Are these different physical locations/buildings? When setting up LWAPs across WAN links you will want to configure the LWAP in H-REAP mode, this mode allows the LWAP to process traffic itself and not funnel everything through the WLC. In this mode the LWAP will still function in-case of a WAN failure. Normal LWAPs in Local mode always need to be connected to the WLC, H-REAP is the exception the exception it doesn't always need constant communication with the WLC. It will check in with the controller from time to time though.

One key thing when deploying an LWAP at a new site is to ensure the LWAP can find the WLC (This still applies if the LWAP and WLC are on different subnets but still in the same physical location), either through name resolution or DHCP. This is article covers how the LWAP looks for the controller. As long as the LWAP finds the controller from across a WAN link you should be ok.

Other normal considers still apply. (Power, Interference, bandwidth, etc)

Some Info on H-REAP, it does have some limitations compared to local mode
    H-Reap Design and Deployment Guide - Cisco Systems
    H-REAP Modes of Operation Configuration Example - Cisco Systems
    Hybrid Remote Edge Access Point (H-REAP) Basic Troubleshooting - Cisco Systems
    My Networking blog
    ok, this is kind of what i was thinking. it is 2 seperate locations, connected by e-lan 100mbps dedicated line. i'm relatively new here, but i think the other location is using the watchguard firewall as dhcp for that location and they connect to our location for all business needs. no servers over there.

thanks for the links!
    one more thing... im guessing it would be much easier for me to config the AP at the main location while its detected by the WLC, then bring it to the remote site and enable the H-REAP settings?
    You can configure it either way. You could technically configure it as HREAP in your main location and watch it work, this way when you bring it to the remote you only have to worry about the routing/switching portion of this (Getting the LWAP to find the controller once).

You can also technically run your main location LWAP's in H-REAP mode, I have seen places this to remove the dependency of the WLC.

I'm just the kind of the person that configures as much as I can in the office prior to heading to remote locations.
    My Networking blog
    All the routing etc is set up between the sites. If i config here, with an ip in their subnet and enable the hreap, wont that work?

for example, we use 1.0 here, over there its 2.0. if i give the ap 2.1 or something, and the ip of their fw (which is the dhcp server for that site and points to us) wont that work?
    Depends on your network if the device has an IP from Subnet1 and is plugged into Subnet2 then the traffic should not go anywhere.

Probably just mark the LWAP as H-REAP from the WLC while your at the main site, then when you plug it in the remote it boots gets a DHCP address, finds the controller via option 43 (or DNS resolution). As long as the AP can make it back to the WLC you should be ok. (The Design guide posted in a previous post will go over any other details you might need to work out prior)

Your probably better off leaving the AP as DHCP and set up a DHCP reservation for the H-REAP AP. This way the LWAP is DHCP (With a reserved address) and Option 43 (assuming its configured) will still point out the WLC to the LWAP.
    My Networking blog
    Hi Steve, i read the manuals you linked for me. i think i have it working.... well, at the main site anyway. i have to use a pwr injector b/c the other site has no poe. i turned poe off on the port here, hooked that up and the wlc sees it. i configed it as hreap, created its own site, added the ap and mac. unselected the static ip option, and left the vlanning options unchecked b/c we dont use any. however, everything is on vlan2 here.... i wonder if that will make a difference. either way, i will hook it up tomorrow when i am at the other site and let you know. thanks again for your help!
    Worked great Steve! thanks again. Only thing is its broadcasting 2 ssid's now. i dont think i needed to add a second for the remote location.
    Glad to hear it worked!

As far as the SSID's. You can probably create an AP-Group for the remote location with the desired SSID and assign the AP to that group. (Just note when you change the group assignment it will reboot the AP)
    My Networking blog