Going that Extra Step

sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys

I had a question Im currently studying for exchange 2010 (using the MS press book half way through the book) I was wondering after I finish the book should I setup a exchange server so it could be accessed from the outside world as I'm new to I.T I dont have much info on it I have read a few threads on this section about how to make it happen.

Not to go off topic but as I'm a beginner If I get a job role that they use exchange as a junior am I expected to set up exchange to be working from the outside world,or setting it up comes with the experience.

I would appreciate everybody input.

Thanks.

Comments

• PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Basically, you need public IP address (static) on Exchange server, domain name belonging to you, and MX record pointing to your Exchange servers IP address (in DNS server authoritative for your domain).
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    sina2011 wrote: »
    should I setup a exchange server so it could be accessed from the outside world as I'm new to I.T I dont have much info on it
    Just a word of precaution: since it sounds like you have little experience with managing servers, if you decide to make an Exchange (or any other) server accessible from Internet, it won't take long until the server gets hacked and you could not even notice it. So, if you decide to practice,

a) make it completely isolated from your home network. separate public IP, separate network, passwords unique to this environment, no connections/tunnels between this server and home network
    b) read documentation on hardening: servers in general, mail servers, and Exchange servers
    c) take time to configure your firewall properly
    d) treat this system as non-trusted/compromised. don't do your home banking from it, or any other host within the same network. when the time comes to wipe the system, do a complete format of the drive, etc
    e) (optional - and yes, the first 4 are mandatory IMO) invest some time into looking IDS options, either built into your firewall, or standalone, it will help you monitor unwanted activity on this network

Virtualization could be an option here, but only if you either use a dedicated host for this network that follows the same abc's from above, or fully understand how to completely separate a single VM's traffic from its host's and other VMs' networks.

Would I recommend doing it? Probably still would, the experience you'd get from it is very valuable. Just expect to get hacked and design and plan accordingly.
    sina2011 wrote: »
    If I get a job role that they use exchange as a junior am I expected to set up exchange to be working from the outside world,or setting it up comes with the experience.
    Depends. In most cases, no, if you are in a junior position, and there are other more experienced admins, they will take care of Internet-facing mail servers. However, in a small shop with limited resources (yourself and an overwhelmed IT manager), you may as well be asked to set on up.
    I personally would ask you to do it only after ensuring you have solid knowledge of both Exchange and security practices - and ensuring here means observing your work for several months.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for your help im going to start doing it in a few hours I just went to www.dyndns.org and purchased my domain I will get back to you on how I go.

thanks.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Also, before you purchase a domain name or setup the server, verify with your ISP that they allow traffic on port 25.