Web Hosting Environment

froufrou123froufrou123 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was a certificate or a group of certificates that could prepare me to implement a linux-based web host service from scratch. I have some experience in linux CLI, domains, cPanels, SQL, web languages (PHP, JAVASCRIPT etc), and SSL.

Thanks for you help

Comments

• buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was a certificate or a group of certificates that could prepare me to implement a linux-based web host service from scratch. I have some experience in linux CLI, domains, cPanels, SQL, web languages (PHP, JAVASCRIPT etc), and SSL.

Thanks for you help

Hi Froufrou,

I don’t think there is a certificate or a particular certificate path for this. Most of those technologies are open source so there is not as much in regards to certifications. A thought is you could combine Network + with Linux +.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have some experience in linux CLI, domains, cPanels, SQL, web languages (PHP, JAVASCRIPT etc), and SSL.
    Well, that is basically it. Just need to magically make that "some" in your sentence to "quite some" :) And I don't see Apache in the mix, which is the single most important keyword here. Once comfortable with Apache, you can pick up tomcat, mod_perl, mod_php, passenger/nginx, or whatever else you prefer or the business dictates.

I don't think you need a cert to run a Linux server, but if you're looking for one for learning guidance, RedHat stuff (RHCE/RHCSA if I'm not mistaken) can probably help along the way.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In addition to the Redhat certs Zend has a PHP cert to add to the mix. Level 2 of LPIC includes testing on Apache. The new CompTIA Linux+ gets you the LPIC level 1 cert by just applying. Other than that there isn't much other than generic certs for Linux but I guess those mentioned will add to your street creds for potential customers. You basically want to go for anything that will make you proficient in LAMP hosting, DNS/BIND FTP and remote dashboards.

I not sure how much stock is placed on them anymore but there are the certs from CIW. Then there is the International Association of Webmasters with a shed load of related certs and fancy logos. Home page International Webmasters Association (IWA) direct link to cert descriptions Webmaster Certification - Webmaster Training
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO