Options

CCIP vs CCNP SPO

mikka1984mikka1984 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Basically what is the difference? I know IP has been for a while and NP SPO is newer, but what is the difference and which one would be better to go for in this day and age? I am doing my CCNP basic (well, there's aint anything basic about it) and then plan to go for IP/NP SPO, but cannot decide which one would be better to go for. Any input on the subject would be highly appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I personally have not looked at the SPO curriculum yet, but can say a few things about the IP. It was by far the most interesting cert. that I have done to date. The BGP/MPLS/QoS was 1 both fun to learn, and 2 very helpful in my job + it was a great lead into the IE blueprint. I would say take whatever is going to be the most applicable to what you are doing or of course what you want to be doing. That rationale will help give you some motivation to stick with it.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It was by far the most interesting cert. that I have done to date. The BGP/MPLS/QoS was 1 both fun to learn, and 2 very helpful in my job + it was a great lead into the IE blueprint.

That is what I was pretty much what I was thinking too.....Not sure about the new CCNP:SPO yet.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    I think the big difference is IOS XR

Unless you have access to an IOS XR lab, it might be tough to chase CCNP SPO
  • Options
    Yea, from what I can see you are correct......."The Cisco Certified Network Professional in Service Provider Operations (CCNP SP Operations) validates knowledge and skills required (of a Tier II or Tier III support engineer) to troubleshoot and maintain service provider IP NGN core (PE-PE and PE-CE) network infrastructures."

Does that mean that CCIPs are Tier I?icon_smile.gif I guess the empahsis is on NGN.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    ITdude wrote: »
    Does that mean that CCIPs are Tier I?icon_smile.gif I guess the empahsis is on NGN.

They are entirely different NP tracks, so that doesn't sound right to me.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Just kidding about the Tier 1 thing. icon_smile.gif

chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought this whole time CCNP: SPO was a replacement for the CCIP. Now i see they are different tracks as the CCIP exams are NOT expiring any time soon. Correct me if i am wrong...
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    That appears to be the case. I may have to rethink my strategy on this one though, because I forgot to take into account that my BSCI is just over three years old. Now, it will be 3 or 4 exams(need to take ROUTE) versus the original two or three.

I may go the security route first anyway, since it is more immediately related to my current focus.......decisions, decisions. Pondering..... icon_smile.gif

PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Yeah, it seems Cisco is keeping them separate as the Service Provider Operations track is more for NOC and SP environments. I used to work for a large SP and a lot of what I got to do maps to what the CCNA: SP and NP: SP requires. They are pretty awesome certs to study for I think. But yeah, since there are no study materials it might get tough.
  • Options
    jamessimojamessimo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The CCIP is going to be more hands on involving configuration and implementing Routing protocols and solutions in a WAN environment

CCNP SP This is geared more to procedures and troubleshooting and there is an ITIL base to it.