Book for A+?

Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
So the Mike Myers book seems to be the best option to study for the A+ from what I'm gathering around here? I'm on Amazon right now trying to figure out which book will be the best to buy.

Appreciate any help I can get on this matter, thank you.

Comments

• biker_dudebiker_dude Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't care for the Myers book myself. I think Sybex and Exam Cram is the way to go.
  • AK74uAK74u Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought the Myers book was OK and fun to read but there was a lot of stuff in it that is not directly relevant to the exams like the detail he goes into with CPU's etc.
    The CompTIA A+ Cert Guide from Pearson is very good,the second edition printed march this year I think covers the new stuff like Windows 7 in detail and IPv6 which most other books will not unless they were printed in the last few months. And the Exam Cram (mentioned above) from the same authors is decent and up to date ( 5th edition
    Whatever you do I would recommend you read more than one book
  • j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    briandy81 wrote: »
    So the Mike Myers book seems to be the best option to study for the A+ from what I'm gathering around here? I'm on Amazon right now trying to figure out which book will be the best to buy.

Here is a link that is current: Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) (9780071701334): Michael Meyers: Books

I used the 4th or 5th edition to prepare for my A+ Tech. Much of your preparation depends on your background and experience. What is your tech background?

R,

J.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    briandy81 wrote: »

Meyers is an Outstanding Resource for the A+ (and his NET+ is very good as well when you are ready).

I wouldn't place as much emphasis on pricing when it comes to quality, but you might consider a used/new book if the cost is pressing on the limits of your budget.

Keep in mind, you are investing in your own education. Compared to what College Texts sell for, a certification text is a reasonable investment.

Up to you, but I'd go:
    1 - Meyers
    2 - Sybex
    (for my two texts as a minimum)
    3 - copy of the objectives to stay focused.

PLUS, before I'd begin, I'd make certain I have some experience or at a minimum access to parts to handle and test build for practice. If you have zero experience, it will help to feel/install the equipment and once you read about it, it may stick with you longer.

No rush! Learn the material.icon_study.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats how I learned what I know about the insides of a computer. I had a pretty old system just laying around that could use some sprucing up. The parts for it were cheap so I went ahead and replaced some stuff after taking the whole thing apart and cleaning everything. The inside was very dusty! This was an old Pentium II that I still actually use at home as a file server. The NIC has higher throughput than USB(1.0) so it almost always is just used on the network.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens