Prevalence of Scripting in Pen-Testing

Sirior83Sirior83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone here know how prevalent using scripting is when pen testing?

Comments

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sirior83 wrote: »
    Does anyone here know how prevalent using scripting is when pen testing?

You are definitely not asking in the right place. Unfortunately I do not have an absolute answer to your question, but according to other people, I would say it is very important. Try asking in the Security forum in the appropriate thread.

EDIT: I just read your first post here, and I just want to let you know that there is no pen testing in the bachelor degree program at WGU. MS ISA program has some pen testing involved with E-Council certifications.
  • afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Pen Testing is a huge topic. Its usually carried out by a team with people that have specialized skills in different areas. Its unlikely that any degree will prep you to be a pentester right out of school. You will need to focus on an area you like and then work to join a security firm that does pentesting.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pentesting is a field that can be gotten to in many different ways. Some people have been playing around for years while others need formal education. With out knowing your level of knowledge I would say to go to school for networking and learn the basics (hardware, software, protocols, methods..etc) as this will form the base that everything else is built from. Then work your way to certs (CCNA/CCNA:Security, SCCP/CISSP, CEH/CHFI, GIAC/GPEN) and learning the methods and tools of the profession. Herot and Offensive Security also offer instruction if a non-traditional path is what you want. Just don't pigeon hole yourself into 1 aspect of security. There are tons of job types in security and you never know what you just might like.
  • Sirior83Sirior83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    *snip* Herot and Offensive Security also offer instruction if a non-traditional path is what you want. Just don't pigeon hole yourself into 1 aspect of security. There are tons of job types in security and you never know what you just might like.

I learn best by doing but would a firm actually hire me if I passed the OSCP test or Herot's stuff?