Finally!

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Today I took and passed the CEH Exam! I am very happy, as It was a goal of mine that I purposely put off for a number of years. But of course It is not an ending but a beginning. I will be posting a review on ethicalhacker of both the test and my training company, and will probably repost it here. YAY! icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Congratulations on passing the CEH exam! icon_thumright.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hooah!

Hooah!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass. That is awesome.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome. Which version of the test did you take (6 or 7)? What's up next for you?
  • blackholeblackhole Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congratulations .... I sent my exam eligibility application today for exam code. just wondering whihc one you took V6 or V7 ?
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thank you all! I took v6, and next up is the Certified Penetration Tester (CPT).
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Thank you all! I took v6, and next up is the Certified Penetration Tester (CPT).

Congrats man! I've been waiting to see this thread for a long time :)
    You will definitely enjoy the IACRB CPT exam; I took it back in March. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Way to go!
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    Congrats man! I've been waiting to see this thread for a long time :)
    You will definitely enjoy the IACRB CPT exam; I took it back in March. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'll defiantly do that Thank you. :)
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hooah x2, Great job man! I'm happy for you
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I will be posting a review on ethicalhacker of both the test and my training company, and will probably repost it here. YAY! icon_cheers.gif

Where is that review?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! icon_cheers.gif
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    REVIEW:

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this exam. EC-Council appears to have made an exam that truly tests ones knowledge of basic hacking technologies. When I began taking the exam, I was confident and thought the questions were quite easy. Then I realized that 150 questions was a lot. :p As the test progressed I saw more difficult questions emerge. Many questions require you to have some experience with the tools. There were many questions that required analysis of logs, or ****. Some questions asked what course of action should e taken in a situation. Overall, It was different from CompTIA tests, and even the entry level Security|5 exam in that it asked a variety of question types.

Tools: I took the v6 version of the exam which has been criticized for being too "tool centric." For me, I was expecting to get quizzed on 200 different tools, it was not like that. I would say that my exam only focused on about 5-10 tools that required more than just a passing knowledge of their use type (i.e what it is used for, what OS' is it compatible with) Errors: I noticed very few grammatical errors in my exam, I would say less that 5 that had me take a second look. There were as you might expect however, "tricky" questions where process of elimination will get you the answer. Actually I have a feeling that individuals who are more adapt at this than others will not find the exam challenging if this tactic is used primarily. I feel it is important to note tis because I'm sure that somewhere, there is someone who can use elimination to pass the CCIE written or CISSP and claim that the exam was "easy" without knowing a thing.

Relevance to training material: Very interesting on this point. I will say up front that using some study material as your only source of knowledge will fail you for this exam. The Graves book is a good example. With its straightforward Q&A type it is not best for this exam, but it does give you the overview knowledge of the technologies and processes you need to know. I suggest reading this twice through, testing out the second time, then moving to either intense labbing or secondary material. A book I would suggest, would be grey hat hacking and hacking exposed. these books give a good overview of not only a tool, but its use, command line switches, ect. I would like to emphasis that IMO, a well labed individual with a few of the well known tools would be well prepared for this exam if they have a mastery of the knowledge behind it. Interestingly enough, this exam did a real good job on balancing knowledge vs experience.

Self Study vs. Class: I personally like studying in a group and hands on experience. No chance of getting called into work the day before the exam (yes it happened.), no slacking off for a weekend. With the distance learning I also found myself going out of my study material, As you may know this may or may not be a good idea. All in all this is a good certification, and a decent start IMO to a infosec career. I would even say that due to the required knowledge of the use of certain tools, this is an intermediate level cert, not a beginner level cert. And FYI, its not all cookies and creme, there were a few questions out of left field, and one where I just stopped, picked up my marker that the testing center gave me and wrote the word: "Really?!" I cant tell you the question obviously but I can tell you that you will not find that specifically mentioned in ANY legit non braindump material. *shakes head* So where to from here? Well, I need to re-study for the CPT exam and practical. I dont know if I can schedule these on different days so ideally I would like to study for the exam, then the practical. After that then its the SANS 504 (im pondering the GCIH attempt).
  • noob4surenoob4sure Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats bro ^^