Personal Advice Regarding: CCNP SWITCH or CCDA

logan3logan3 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have a CCNA and am finishing up my CCNA Security. I'm a college student doing these, so only have enough extra money this summer to earn either one CCNP sub-certification (ROUTE, SWITCH or TSHOOT) or a CCDA (I plan to eventually earn them all in the future as income becomes available). I've also been holding off on applying for a new job since earning my Cisco certifications. So my question is:

With the given situation, which certification (a single CCNP sub-certification or CCDA) would provide a better presence on my resume?

Thank-you for your time and consideration.

Comments

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I haven't closely looked at CCDA exam blueprint myself yet, but read on these forums several times that it's best to tackle CCDA after gaining some CCNP-level knowledge.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Tough choice, may want to see what is in more demand in your area. Network Admin (CCNA/CCNP) or network engineer (CCDA/CCDP/CCNP). The CCDA may set apart then the normal CCNA network admin.

In all due honesty I think your better off furthering your Cisco knowledge with CCNP knowledge and getting some real world experience.

Both paths have their advantages, and if you dedicate enough time to your CCNP you'll finish it off in time.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • CCNP11CCNP11 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a personal preference but I don't put a cert on my resume until I've earned it. I didn't put CCNP on there until I passed the third test. As someone who has hired people in the past and looked at resumes, I think that's a best practice to follow. There really is no "sub-certification" for passing one of the tests, they are each merely 1/3 of the certification process.

Probably the only cert for which putting a test pass but not the cert would be CCIE. Passing the written is an accomplishment in itself and the time between the written and the lab can be up to 18months.

That being said, I always suggest to those seeking specialty certifications that they pursue the R&S track first. EVERYTHING in the specialty tracks is built on the foundation of routing and switching. You can't frame a house (design) or set the alarm (security) until you have the foundation to build it on...that's R&S.

Like you, I did CCNA-Security before attempting CCNP. Had I the chance to do it over again I would reverse that order. The CCNP process very much builds on the understanding the basic networking skills we all need to be successful and will make understanding how the specialties tie into the network that much more understandable.

For your long-term benefit I would suggest working on CCNP studies. You can probably have your NP in fairly short order if you apply yourself. I understand that money is tight for college students but if you could possibly save $25/wk that's only 8 weeks to pay for a test and should be enough time for you to learn the material an do some practice labs. That's ~6 months for an NP and a cert that will definitely open doors while you pursue specialties.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I agree with CCNP11 in that you would not put any part of the CCNP on your resume until you complete the entire thing.
    So, to answer your original question, if you could only do one exam and wanted something for your resume, then it would be the CCDA.

CCNP may be a better route, but that costs alot more and takes alot more time.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    I agree with CCNP11 in that you would not put any part of the CCNP on your resume until you complete the entire thing.
    So, to answer your original question, if you could only do one exam and wanted something for your resume, then it would be the CCDA.

CCNP may be a better route, but that costs alot more and takes alot more time.

i have to kind of disagree here. I would not put it under your certifications but there is no harm in putting a small section such as "currently studying". Ive always done it and its never been a negative. Infact, in one or two interviews they have commented on that its good to see the direction im heading for and the progress im at with that qualification.

If it were me i would take the switch or route exam. The knowledge is invaluable. The CCDA sounds poor from an overall experiance of peoples responses on here. The ARCH is where it is at. so for my, a NP exam would be more beneficial. One day i'll do the DA but only on my way to the ARCH.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    logan3 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a CCNA and am finishing up my CCNA Security. I'm a college student doing these, so only have enough extra money this summer to earn either one CCNP sub-certification (ROUTE, SWITCH or TSHOOT) or a CCDA (I plan to eventually earn them all in the future as income becomes available). I've also been holding off on applying for a new job since earning my Cisco certifications. So my question is:

With the given situation, which certification (a single CCNP sub-certification or CCDA) would provide a better presence on my resume?

Thank-you for your time and consideration.

I done CCNA then CCDA and spent 8 months on both self study. If I had my CCNP and had been working as a Network Engineer for 18 months - 2 Years back then I reckon I could have done the CCDA in 2 months.

This was over 5 years ago now, but I think the principal is still the same, leave the CCDA until after the CCNP as in reality you'll probably not use it until you're working in a design role.

Go with the CCNP ROUTE exam if you are going to do any as you can use GNS3 open source VM environment to lab the kit up (cost effective!). With the CCDA you buy a book and just......... read and write / plan case studies etc!

SWITCH you will need buy or acquire L2/3 switches.

TSHOOT you need books and L3 switches so ROUTE is the best for you at this time in my opinion.
  • HypersonikHypersonik Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Interesting one this and it appears i'm going against the pre established grain.

I do think i'm justified though :)

I work as the sole network engineer/administrator for a financial services company of approx 1200 people and I deal with the majority of major banks.

I only have my CCNA, but the job has been a massive eye opener and I have had a lot of procedures, in addition to more indepth technology exposure, thrust upon me.

I'm opting to do the CCDA because I have been involved in from scratch network a number of times now and even though we don't always have the budget, I feel the ideologies the CCDA sets out would prove advantageous where as you can google a certain quible when it comes to config.

That isn't to say that I think the CCNP is rubbish BTW - it'll be next on my list as I have no doub't it'll fill in some blanks!
  • umerkhalidumerkhalid Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    can any body tell me which is best simulator for ccnp switchnig
  • indyguycb25indyguycb25 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am to trying to decide what to do certification wise. I use to design data centers. Not only the data side but every other system from power fault, and physical security. I found my self right now only holding two valid certifications. This is due to the fact they are no longer being given. A ton of interviewers look at me odd or in amazement when i tell them about my LCTEs in ATM/Frame. So i find myself going back to square 1 CCENT then CCNA then CCNP. I have not looked at the design side. It may mesh well as I am working towards my PMP certifications. My ultimate goal is to get where I was 10 years ago when I headed major projects working with Lucent, Cisco, Ameritech, and others.

A ton has changed though at that time VoATM was the leader and now has been replaced with VoIP.