Options

Dual wan failover with hsrp/vrrp

liven_v2.0liven_v2.0 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I have two pretty nice WAN side connections.

lets call them router A and router B

Router A will be the main internet drain for one of my offices and router B will handle all internal traffic.

I will have a default route on router A as well as routes to all other internal subnets (with less desirable metrics, weights, preferences etc). Router B will be the opposite of route A as far as routes. BGP will work on route A and B as well as the rest of my network.

Router A and B will be connected to each other.

Now this should give me redundancy but I don't have anyway to create a redundant gateway.

The routers are juniper SSG5 which have interface tracking.

I am trying to think of a switching configuration to allow for failover. I don't have layer three switches behind the firewalls but the switches I have do have spanning tree.

I realize spanning tree will not work for failover of this nature or at least I have never tried it in this configuration.

I also realize that the switch will become my single point of failure. I can get new switches to put behind the firewalls.

So I am looking for a configuration suggestion. Failover doesn't have to be as fast as hsrp or vrrp. But somewhat automatic.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Are you familiar with Cisco's IP SLA? I think junos has something similar to track interfaces and modify weights on routes. I think it's called RPM?
  • Options
    liven_v2.0liven_v2.0 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes they have a track interface command...

I am more looking for how to control the linkage from the firewalls to the switches behind them.

I will have two different firewalls connecting to one switch.