Another question about thank you letters

unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Went for an interview earlier today and was just wondering proper etiquette for a thank you letter. Is email acceptable? I was interviewed by 4 people so would it be acceptable to send the same letter to each of them if they are addressed individually? And what is an appropriate time frame? Can I send it tomorrow so I have some time to draft it and send it during business hours?

Thanks!

Comments

• j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Generally, they can say the same thing. But try to personalize something from your interaction to remind them that you are a strong candidate for the position. Absolutely, take the night or even the next day to do it right. This is your last chance to make a positive impression. Remember your eduction/ training/ certs represent your technical skills, and business knowledge. But your interview and thank you note represent your verbal and written communication skills. All of these are needed to succeed and advance.

R,

J.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    If your main form of communication has been email thus far then that should be acceptable.
  • j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is acceptable, but a written note will differentiate from the other candidates that may just send an email.

How long to scan and delete an email? How long do you spend with a written letter? You recieve a letter at work, you look for a return address? You wonder who sent this? You open and read the note, You recall the interview, review your impressions, revising or adding to them. These actions take you out of your routine of weeding through your inbox.

Here is the value to the job candidate.

R,

J.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Always send a thank you note ASAP. That way the interview is fresh in your mind. You need to reinforce your interest in the position as part of your thank you note. Bring up something that you talked about in the interview. If you forgot to ask a question, or thought of another question, that you didn't ask during the interview, you can ask it in the thank you note.

E-mail is great. Sit down and write a thank you e-mail as soon as you get home (or off the phone) from the interview. If you know the physical address to mail one, send a copy out that way too.

You can send a single e-mail to all of the interviewers. Address it to the hiring manager, but be sure to mention and thank everyone else that was in the interview. Physical notes should be addressed and sent individually.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    j_griffith wrote: »
    It is acceptable, but a written note will differentiate from the other candidates that may just send an email.

How long to scan and delete an email? How long do you spend with a written letter? You recieve a letter at work, you look for a return address? You wonder who sent this? You open and read the note, You recall the interview, review your impressions, revising or adding to them. These actions take you out of your routine of weeding through your inbox.

Here is the value to the job candidate.

R,

J.

+1 Well said!!!! I believe this is true as well.

Actually, for my current position all together in 2 interviews (lunch and formal session) I talked/interviewed with 7 managers; from the CIO to my manager and it was quite an experience. I personalized each email to conform to the person I interviewed with wether it was recalling a certain conversation we talked about or something pivotal within. I'm sure this played a huge factor other than sending a mass one out to all of the recepients
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda