Options

Cheapest path to VCP?

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Why cant one of the online classes be priced like that?
    They may one day. Then thousands of VCPs flood the market. And then VCP becomes a requirement for helpdesk positions, like MCSE is now.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I just noticed that the Summer 2011 session for Eric Chen's CST C220 VMware vSphere course at Coastline Community College in Garden Grove, CA is open for enrollment starting May 16th (continuing students) and May 23rd (new and returning students).

It's an 8-week course that meets on Monday nights starting June 13th. It's 3.0 units at $26/unit, so you aren't gonna find a more inexpensive, brick-and-mortar-with-lab VMware training deal anywhere. And quoted from the course page:

Upon completion of this course, students can take the examination to become a VMware Certified Professional. This course may be taken four times. Graded or Pass/No Pass option.

I probably won't make it in, as I am a "returning student" and must take the later registration date, but I'm gonna try.
    So did you make it in?
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    My registration date is May 23rd. Because I'm a "returning" and not a "continuing" student, I was given a later date in the registration cycle.

I did email the instructor;; he said that usually twice the number of students want to take the class than are able to enroll (max 30 students). Under those circumstances, I really don't expect to get in. I'll put my name on any waiting list to see if I can get in after the first-class-no-shows are dropped. It's worth a shot.
  • Options
    My registration date is May 23rd. Because I'm a "returning" and not a "continuing" student, I was given a later date in the registration cycle.
    Oops, I asked a month too early. icon_redface.gif
    I did email the instructor;; he said that usually twice the number of students want to take the class than are able to enroll (max 30 students).
    Wow, that is quite some demand.
    Under those circumstances, I really don't expect to get in. I'll put my name on any waiting list to see if I can get in after the first-class-no-shows are dropped. It's worth a shot.
    Good luck! Hopefully more community colleges will get on this. I know some CIS faculty at Mt. SAC but have had no luck getting them interested in joining VAP. icon_sad.gif
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184

I did email the instructor;; he said that usually twice the number of students want to take the class than are able to enroll (max 30 students). Under those circumstances, I really don't expect to get in. I'll put my name on any waiting list to see if I can get in after the first-class-no-shows are dropped. It's worth a shot.

The demand for that course is crazy. Last semester when I was enrolled, they had so many students that they ended creating a 2nd class to fill it icon_lol.gif. The 2nd class was full, too. As long as you show up on the first day and put your name on the list, he'll give you priority over those that come later. He's a very nice guyicon_thumright.gif

me and you will be fighting for a spot lol
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    The demand for that course is crazy. Last semester when I was enrolled, they had so many students that they ended creating a 2nd class to fill it icon_lol.gif. The 2nd class was full, too. As long as you show up on the first day and put your name on the list, he'll give you priority over those that come later. He's a very nice guyicon_thumright.gif

me and you will be fighting for a spot lol

Well, who would not pay less than $100 for something that usually cost ~$4,000.
    The hardware itself (even if you follow the minimum requirements ) will run you about $30,000.
  • Options
    JBrown wrote: »
    Well, who would not pay less than $100 for something that usually cost ~$4,000.
    The class uses the official VMware VCP4 courseware, which students are required to buy from the college bookstore, so I don't know what I'll end up paying in total.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I know exactly how much a VATC has to pay for the courseware - it's not cheap...
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Our school is part of vITA and VMware charges us zilch for using their courseware (and we still could not afford it) and they go out of their way to help with howtos, best practices and etc. We were about to start offering ICM course ourselfs, but the course was nixed because we did not budget the hardware cost during the previous year.
    Hopefully it will work our next year.

What is amusing me is, I could not find a single school in NYC that would offer ICM as part of a curriculum or even offer it at all.
  • Options
    The class uses the official VMware VCP4 courseware, which students are required to buy from the college bookstore, so I don't know what I'll end up paying in total.
    It should be about $50 for the student materials (that's how much I paid when I took the ICM course at another community college).
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    OK, I'm enrolled in CCC's vSphere class as student 27 of 30. It's an 8-week Summer class, so it's either gonna be fast-paced or modules will be skipped. If it turns out that I'm serious about trying VCP4, I'll take the class again in the Fall.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure he'll make good use of every single minutes of it, and will possibly go overtime icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    It's three hours lecture plus one hour lab and ends at 10:15PM. I've been in a couple of Eric's Cisco classes with that same format. I'm gonna be getting into work late on Wednesday mornings for a while. sleeping.gif
  • Options
    Hopefully I'll have enough energy to stay til the lab's hour :)
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    I am student 28/30 I can't believe I made it in I was getting worried waiting seeing the enrollment go up before I was allowed to enroll. $94 before books can't be beat vs the avg of $3495 I love 97% Off. I live down in San Diego but it will be well worth the hike for 2 months even if I need to stay at motel a night or two
  • Options
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll have enough energy to stay til the lab's hour :)
    In Eric's Cisco classes the lab and lecture time was interleaved (I still have the PIX 501 I bought for his firewall class), and the class ends around 9:30-ish with the option to stay the full time. I hope they are running ESXi 4 on something more than a bunch of old Dell Optiplex desktops.
  • Options
    I was in his class last time but didn't finish. I dropped at half way due to changing work schedule. Before I dropped I heard he was having his servers being delivered. He spec'ed them out and it took a while for the school to approve it. If I remember correctly he said it'll have 60 or 70gig of RAM or something like that, EACH!!!! :) He had 3 or 4 machines running Openfiler that time, and some of the guys brought in their own machines as well. :D
  • Options
    Very nice! There's so many vSphere features that I don't use (vMotion, DRS, HA) that I need to get to know. And now Openfiler too.

Now I need to find an inexpensive Linux-base NAS that I can load with ESXi and run Openfiler on as a VM. That would make a decent home media server. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    7713.MicroServer_1A8C5ABF.jpg

loads openfiler on that server. I read alot of good reviews on it and it's pretty affordable :)
  • Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IF you can find them. I've been in the market for an HP Proliant Microserver for a little while, and they're very difficult to track down, in Canada at least. I've found two online retailers, and that's it.
  • Options
    it must be a Canadian thing because it's everywhere here icon_lol.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    And no doubt significantly cheaper, too.

Rip off Canada strikes again! Just like the Dell T110.
  • Options
    have some one u know buy one and ship it to you :)
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are a few retailers around but you're right, it is more expensive here. Just look at the shopbot prices :S

HP ProLiant MicroServer - Price comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices

The lowest prices aren't even in stock icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    then time to build your own icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    SuperMicro has a line of ~$200 server motherboards that support up to 6 SATA3 drives, dual Gb NICs, fanless dual cose Atom CPU, and up to 4GB RAM. They also have onboard RAID, but Openfiler uses software RAID, so hardware RAID isn't needed. You can also load/run Openfiler on a USB stick or SD card and leave the drives for pure storage.
  • Options
    not sure if there's a bug in the latest release of OF, because it wont detect all of my 8 drives, unless i raid them. It will only see 6 drives individually, and the the last 2 as if it's on a raid array. This is on the LSI controller btw. Currently I have them in 2 raid arrays and they're working fine in OF :D

I had OpenIndiana installed on it before but took it off to installed OF to get ready for Eric Chen's VMware class :Dicon_cheers.gif Hopefully he'll still be using OF or else i have to wipe it again icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Once you've added a case and a decent psu, it really is barely worth the hassle of a self-build. My dedicated ESXi box was that way. It's a great machine, but wasn't worth the hours spent checking compatibility and hunting down parts vs. just buying a server - even taking into account I get all hardware at cost.

Unfortunately none of our suppliers have the Microserver available.

Incidentally, for my home use I use NexentaStor.
  • Options
    I agree. But once again, nothing beat the experience of building your own and watch everything boot up in front of your own eyes icon_lol.gif yeah im nerdy like that icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gif
  • Options
    This is true, and tailoring your system to you is ultimately pretty rewarding.

Still, I want a Microserver, dang it!