More Comptia certs?

peter.parker615peter.parker615 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have my A+ certification and will be taking the Net+ within the next two weeks. How many of the comptia certifications are worth getting? Is it worth it to get Security+, Linux+, or Server+? Or should I move on to another type of certification?

Comments

• Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Linux+ is definitely valuable as it also gives you LPIC-1 certification now. I'm sure others will disagree but Security+ is no longer worth it and Server+ never was.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Repo Man wrote: »
    Linux+ is definitely valuable as it also gives you LPIC-1 certification now. I'm sure others will disagree but Security+ is no longer worth it and Server+ never was.

I agree except that the Security+ could be of value in 2 cases:

1) As an elective for the MCSA/E

2) To fullfil the DoD 8750 requirement
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have my A+ certification and will be taking the Net+ within the next two weeks. How many of the comptia certifications are worth getting? Is it worth it to get Security+, Linux+, or Server+? Or should I move on to another type of certification?

From what I have experienced, read, heard and formed an opinion from, A+, Linux+ and Security+ are the ones that are worth getting.

Again this is my humble opinion and experience.

A+ is awesome for newcomers to the IT world. It gives you a general understanding of PC's and some OS's.

Linux+ from what I can tell is a great way to learn Linux. I have a friend at work who has very few certifications, but one is Linux + and it really paved the way for him. Within a few years he is working on Linux servers and really started to make a career for himself. I think from a learning perspective this is the best CompTIA certification out there.

Security+ is great because of the DoD in the United States. This will give your resume higher marks when being graded by OPM.

The rest I can take them or leave them. Network + is great because it taught me quite a bit about networking. At one time that was my weakest area, now I considered it strength. So I see potential value with Network +
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555

Their certs are mandatory for a lot of employers so you need to get them. There is no question of worth, they are simply required in the industry. Yes, you will find jobs that don't require them, but you'll find many more that do. The Linux+ is the only one that isn't generally considered to be of any use in hiring because it's nothing relevant compared to Red Hat certification.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    From what I have experienced, read, heard and formed an opinion from, A+, Linux+ and Security+ are the ones that are worth getting.

This is the truth. I am sitting Linux+ in a few months and it will be the last Comptia cert I will acquire (unless I get into storage+ beta or the CASP takes off). A+ helped a little, Security+ helped alot more. Network+ would have had more value if I had went for the MCSA/E track. It's value is suspect. Now that the big 3 aren't lifetime I would say screw them.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The CompTIA certs only have value if employers are looking for them.
    That said, the A+ is still valuable and the Sec+ is very valuable if you want to work for any government agency. The Linux+ could be valuable if you wish to work for someone who uses Linux (and a lot of companies do). The Net+ is not valuable as I haven't seen it posted as a required, or even recommended, cert.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    project+ is nice for the 40 hours training if you have a pmp
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • some guysome guy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From what I've seen, the A+ is a great certification and covers valuable fundamentals that really introduce you to the IT world, and is looked for a lot by employers for help desk, desktop support, etc kind of jobs. Security+ is great as an intro to network security, an elective for those MS certs, and for the DoD. Network+ is okay; I have seen it on some job postings, and the content of it is good to know. I haven't seen Linux+ specifically on any job postings, but the content is good, and employers love people who can run Linux, as it is used a lot on servers. I have never seen Server+ on a job posting, but the material is good; I personally wouldn't bother with Server+, except for just knowing the material.

tl;dr: I'd go with:
    A+
    Security+
    Network+ (maybe)
    Linux+ (maybe)

I haven't ever checked out Project+, so I have no idea about it.
    A+ ~ Feb 2010
    Network+ ~ Jun 2010
    Security+ ~ April 2011

Up next: ???