Would you move?

CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
Would you move to go back to your hometown for better salary but for a lower tier?

Scenario:
You are in the group that supports the NOC but the new position will be at the NOC. NOC responsibilities are similar from the current employer's NOC.
Salary is at least 15% more but shooting for 20% more.
Any OT will be paid because you'll be hourly.
You're coming from a Fortune 50 company to a non-Fortune company but a growing company (the tech industry - a little bit in the cloud computing side).
Not happy in the state you are in.
The current employer pays at least $1K more contribution in your retirement plan. Fully vested with the current company.
The current employer offers training but not guaranteed that you're going to get one per year.
The new employer offers $4K tuition reimbursement but current employer does not.
Benefits are pretty much the same other than what was listed above.

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    If the hometown company has a better future outlook and a step in the career path you want to pursue, the rest is gravy.
  • CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    QHalo wrote: »
    If the hometown company has a better future outlook and a step in the career path you want to pursue, the rest is gravy.

Unsure about eh better future outlook with the new company.
    With the current company, the career goals are more aligned than the new one.
    With current company, you feel that you're not really paid fairly.
  • nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    CSCOnoob wrote: »
    Not happy in the state you are in.

That alone is enough for me to move. You only live once, get out and see the world :D while making more money, and have more opportunity to move up icon_cheers.gif
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    ...Not happy in the state you are in...

That alone is enough to make me move/change jobs. However as for actually physically moving, for me, I'd have to take into consideration alot of other things, eg my family (wife & son).

-Ken
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just look at what you would accomplish in 5 years in if you stayed here or if you moved and chose the best route.

Money is a factor but it's not every thing, I would chose a better position/company over more money. That being said if you're not happy then you gotta move, happiness will eventually drive your career and you gotta be happy in what you're doing where you're doing it in order to succeed.

Good luck in whatever you chose
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I actually did this. I went from a major defense contractor that consistently ranks in the top 50 of the Fortune 500, to a regional hospital in the area I am originally from. I wasn't trying to get back to this area, I just happened to get a good job offer here. The pay was 16% higher and the cost of living was about the same. However the title was a step down. I went from "Lead Messaging Systems Administrator/Senior Systems Administrator" to just "Exchange Administrator".

In my situation it ended up being the right choice. The only reason I was looking around is because the contract with the Air Force that the company I was working for had, was expiring. I had to interview for my own job with every company that was trying to win the new contract. It ended up being the right decision. All but 1 of the guys I worked with lost their jobs within 2 months of me leaving. The Air Force decided not to award a new contract and convert everything over to GS positions. The 1 guy I knew that kept his job, took a huge pay cut to do it.

If you're not pressed for time to make a decision, you might try to see what else you can find. It is a lot easier if you're open to relocation anywhere. If one company is willing to offer you more than you make now for what sounds like it could be a step backwards in your career, you can probably find another that will offer you just as much, or more, to take a step forward.
  • CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    Thanks to all that reply. I am still going back and forth of the idea. I believe I'll gain more valuable experience from my current employer than the NOC thing. I know I'll begin "training" for F5 load balancer pretty soon and I've been seeing a lot of Network Engineer jobs out there that "requires" experience with this. I can still wait couple more years for a better opportunity to come along. I am just afraid to take the NOC because it is basically starting over again and may not give me a better opportunity in the future in case it doesn't work out.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks to all that reply. I am still going back and forth of the idea. I believe I'll gain more valuable experience from my current employer than the NOC thing. I know I'll begin "training" for F5 load balancer pretty soon and I've been seeing a lot of Network Engineer jobs out there that "requires" experience with this. I can still wait couple more years for a better opportunity to come along. I am just afraid to take the NOC because it is basically starting over again and may not give me a better opportunity in the future in case it doesn't work out.
    Given those two choices, in my situation, being that I am just entering the IT field, I'd take a job that would give me potentially more hands-on experience and upward mobility. Being located in my home state would be gravy.

On the other hand, if I were a long-time IT veteran, I'd stay where I was at.