What would you do?

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Title: Network Security Admin
Certs: A+, N+, S+, CCNA and CCNA:Security
Experience: 4 years IT, 1 year infosec
Responsibilities: Numerous including IDS/IPS rollout (pending) and firewall work

I am doing some budgeting and trying to decided what I am going to submit to my boss (wife) as my plan. Time is not an issue but I am looking for career impact.

Option 1: SSCP GCIA
Option 2: SSCP GCFW
Option 3: GCIA GCFW
Option 4: SSCP GCIA GCFW - $$$$

Neither GIAC or SSCP is too popular in my neck of the woods. I would be challenging the GIAC exams so it would be about $900 a piece (I can deal with material later). I already have the gold book for the SSCP and a few other things. My goal is infosec analyst, something close to SOC work and to build from there.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Go BIG or go home. Option 4 for me.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If the SSCP isn't popular in your area, why is it on your list then?
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ah man when i saw the title of this post i immediately thought....
    klondike_canada.jpg

Man i am so hungry...i want the mint n chip version.

Anyways i would go with option 4, or perhaps trade the GCFW for the CISSP. icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a job that i was really interested wants that Sscp
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why SSCP instead of CISSP? Also I would think with a CCNA and CCNA:Security then the GCFW would better improve on your current certs. I vote 2...
    I have decided against doing cissp until I have a few more years of experience or a job forces me to do it.
    There is a job that i was really interested wants that Sscp

So if you get the SSCP are they going to give you the job? It would seem better (to me) for them to hire you with the requirement that you obtain the cert within x months.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    rwmidl wrote: »
    So if you get the SSCP are they going to give you the job? It would seem better (to me) for them to hire you with the requirement that you obtain the cert within x months.

See I agree with you but I am trying to get myself from "being considered" to "being hired" lol. Plus the SSCP (like the CISSP) isn't offered too often so if I don't do it the next time it is offered in my area (July) the next time isn't until like December.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Title: Network Security Admin
    Certs: A+, N+, S+, CCNA and CCNA:Security
    Experience: 4 years IT, 1 year infosec
    Responsibilities: Numerous including IDS/IPS rollout (pending) and firewall work

I am doing some budgeting and trying to decided what I am going to submit to my boss (wife) as my plan. Time is not an issue but I am looking for career impact.

Option 1: SSCP GCIA
    Option 2: SSCP GCFW
    Option 3: GCIA GCFW
    Option 4: SSCP GCIA GCFW - $$$$

Neither GIAC or SSCP is too popular in my neck of the woods. I would be challenging the GIAC exams so it would be about $900 a piece (I can deal with material later). I already have the gold book for the SSCP and a few other things. My goal is infosec analyst, something close to SOC work and to build from there.

It makes most sense to certify in what you have experience doing. (Like double clarification: experience + certification)

It also makes sense to certify in what you want to be doing.

You can do both, with Option 4.

According to the sig, you're going to tackle the SSCP for now, you already have the book for it (test isn't cheap, so I can understand budgeting, LOL). Also, you appear to have a lead on a job that requires it.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 wrote: »
    It makes most sense to certify in what you have experience doing. (Like double clarification: experience + certification)

It also makes sense to certify in what you want to be doing.

You can do both, with Option 4.

According to the sig, you're going to tackle the SSCP for now, you already have the book for it (test isn't cheap, so I can understand budgeting, LOL). Also, you appear to have a lead on a job that requires it.

Yea. I mean I applied for the gig and they are "considering" me but who knows that really means. That particular job wanted SANS certs as well.
    See I agree with you but I am trying to get myself from "being considered" to "being hired" lol. Plus the SSCP (like the CISSP) isn't offered too often so if I don't do it the next time it is offered in my area (July) the next time isn't until like December.

I'm going to vote for option 5 - just SSCP. If you get the position, then consider the SANS certs..
    I'm going to vote for option 5 - just SSCP. If you get the position, then consider the SANS certs..

Interesting.

Would you say that even if I said that I wanted to do the SANS exams regardless of what happens with that job (as both would help me in my current job)?
    Interesting.

Would you say that even if I said that I wanted to do the SANS exams regardless of what happens with that job (as both would help me in my current job)?

The numbers (according to a Dice search for the State of VA)

SSCP - 13 listings
    GCIA - 7 listings
    GCFW - 0 listings

I still say just target the SSCP. If you realllllly are jonesing for a SANS cert, then the GCIA.
    The numbers (according to a Dice search for the State of VA)

SSCP - 13 listings
    GCIA - 7 listings
    GCFW - 0 listings

I still say just target the SSCP. If you realllllly are jonesing for a SANS cert, then the GCIA.

I was thinking that too. In fact, option 1 is my favorite.
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    What I would do may differ from what you would be willing to do. For example, I would go for option 3 as I strongly believe GCIA would open a lot of doors for you, especially if you want to work at a SOC and go from there.

I am not sure how 'popular' GIAC is in your area, but are you willing to relocate? If not, then I would suggest option number 1.

It comes down to what you are willing to do, but I would do GCIA over SSCP any day of the week.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I completely agree with this. The SANS certs are expensive if you employer isn't paying for them.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    if you want to move to virginia i can put in a good word for you for a tier 2 analyst position :)
    WIP: IPS exam
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    if you want to move to virginia i can put in a good word for you for a tier 2 analyst position :)

Why cant I be a civilian?
  • iVictoriVictor Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Of the options you've mentioned, I'd suggest Option1. SSCP + GCIA makes a good combo for the role you are looking for.
    This is the Right Time