Interview Follow up

cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I had a phone interview with a company about a month ago, I thought the interview went very well, however I never heard back from them. Now the job has been reposted, would it be alright to inquire about the job with the person that I talked with? I was thinking about emailing them but I am not sure what to ask, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Diggs3dDiggs3d Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't feel bad. I had a onsite interview for Security Analyst position which I also felt went very well.....

I waited a week before following up to hear that i was over qualified icon_sad.gif

Most sites I found recommend following up on a job Interview either same day or within a week.

I think it all depends of the Interviewer

If you feel that Interview went well.... I personally would email the Interviewer to let him/her know I'm still Interested in the position..........

Take a look at "IT Security Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Security Job".

I haven't landed a IT Security job yet but hopefully I will soon.....

I Hope this helps !!!!
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Follow up with a thank you note the same day. Call a week after if you haven't heard anything.

If you didn't ask any questions during the interview, then regardless of how you feel it went, it did NOT go well. You have to ask almost as many questions as they ask you, and respond positively to the answers given too. If the interview really goes well, they will tell you what the next steps are, and when you should contact them if you haven't already heard from them.

In your case, if there was an official application you had to fill out the 1st time, do that again. Since you have the hiring managers contact information, it certainly will not hurt to send him your resume with a well written cover letter, but only AFTER you've sent everything through the official channels.

Obviously they were at least somewhat interested in you the 1st time around, or you wouldn't have had an interview. Wait 1 week to hear a response after applying and sending in your cover letter and resume again. If you haven't heard anything, follow up with a phone call, tell them you're still very interested in the position and wanted to confirm that they received your resume. Keep it brief, thank them for their time and consideration.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cleveoh wrote: »
    I had a phone interview with a company about a month ago, I thought the interview went very well, however I never heard back from them. Now the job has been reposted, would it be alright to inquire about the job with the person that I talked with? I was thinking about emailing them but I am not sure what to ask, any help would be appreciated.

Probably too late for that. I would move on. Companies are usually decisive if they want to come in for you. I shouldn't worry though, if you are never passed over for a job then you probably don't apply for enough. It happens. I should add that those advertising are often not candid about the actual hiring situation. Sometimes they want to hire but dont have internal budget approval *yet*, and that situation can bounce around for months indoors. So many companies call people in just to test what is out there in the zoo in terms of available people, their skills and expectations. Other times companies advertise repeatedly to cover a legal obligation to look outside before recruiting inside.
  • cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This was just an initial phone interview with the HR woman, I asked plenty of questions, I even had her laughing. I was thinking the reason I had not heard back was because the salary range I gave was to high, but the latest reposting of the job gave the salary range and it's exactly the range I mentioned. Also, she intimated that I may be a bit over qualified for the position, but she stated "it's a growing company with room for advancement".
  • certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    cleveoh wrote: »
    This was just an initial phone interview with the HR woman, I asked plenty of questions, I even had her laughing. I was thinking the reason I had not heard back was because the salary range I gave was to high, but the latest reposting of the job gave the salary range and it's exactly the range I mentioned. Also, she intimated that I may be a bit over qualified for the position, but she stated "it's a growing company with room for advancement".

I have seen this happen. Employers are becoming increasingly picky. I have seen same job posts online for 2 to 3 years even though the job requirements don't include any hard to find skillset. It certainly could be a way to find candidates as cheap as possible or just plain "what can we get" attitude. I generally try to avoid those job postings if I remeber seeing them.
  • cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I emailed her last night, I just now received and email from her to resubmit my resume.