if i was a bettin man

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys just found out my ccna expires august this year.

which exam is say less challanging CCNA security or SWITCH?
in a 2 month study time span?

which would you take if you only had 2 months to hammer study?
I can make the time which one is say less challenging.

I think ccna-s will extend my ccna right?

thanks guys

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    With such a short time frame you can just take the ICND2 exam which should be mostly review rather than trying to learn a lot of new stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it's just to renew your CCNA, I think Security will be your best bet - I'm studying for it now before moving on to Route, mostly theory based with some SDM thrown in.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    BrizoH wrote: »
    If it's just to renew your CCNA, I think Security will be your best bet - I'm studying for it now before moving on to Route, mostly theory based with some SDM thrown in.

Agreed.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Agreed.

2nd. I would suggest CCNA:Security as well.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a friend at work who is studying for the CCNA: Sec and he says it is the easiest Cisco cert there is. As a disclaimer he does have a lot of firewall experience and has been in IT for quite a while (mostly doing endpoint firewall stuff though) and recently renewed his expired CCNA.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another vote for CCNA:Security
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks guys means a lot your advice. yeah my direction is CCNP, CCSP, CCVP. I do not mind getting my CCNA-S and CCNA-V if it extends me and gets me where I need to go. I will shoot for ccna-s.

I bought Trainsignal CBTs and got chris bryant material as well in non CBT format. is this good..I can get a copy of CBT nuggets ccna-s as well.
    is this good and I have a super great rack with I think all I need to pass and practice on.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    thanks guys means a lot your advice. yeah my direction is CCNP, CCSP, CCVP. I do not mind getting my CCNA-S and CCNA-V if it extends me and gets me where I need to go. I will shoot for ccna-s.

You would have to get CCNA:S and CCNA:V to get the CCSP and CCVP.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Several months ago I was choosing between CCNA:S, ICND2, BCMSN aka SWITCH to renew my CCNA. Ended up going for CCNA:S, and believe it was the right decision. Here's my reasoning:

ICND2 - waste of money and time with zero ROI for the resume;
    BCMSN - sets off the CCNP countdown, and at the time I did not want to pursue CCNP;
    CCNA:S - more expensive than a 642- exam, but easier, plus CCSP made more sense in my situation than CCNP.

Two months is kind of a close call... May have to study hard for the next 6-7 weeks, then take the challenge. That would give you 10 days for a second attempt should the need be.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chooselife

yeah that is my (exact reasoning tooo). moving forward is the best option. I have time at work to study. So time at work and time at home should do it. and the 10 day option to retake will be my choice as well. I wont be stupid. crazy maybe but not stupid ahhhah thanks man. great advice..
    I am sure I willl have to study hard just wanted to increase my odds. then
    on to ccnp after that. thanks so much guys! here goes! my best willl report back what happens icon_cheers.gif
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    good luck
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your best bet is CCNA Security. If you dedicate a block of hours a day everyday to study for the next two months you will pass the NA:S which will renew your CCNA.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...