How long did you study?

Steeley DanSteeley Dan Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
How long are people studying to pass the 201 exam (days/hours)?

I've been procrastinating on starting to study, so i'm going to go ahead and schedule the test, so I have a deadline to be prepared.

How far out should I schedule the test?

Thanks y'all!

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I studied about 3 weeks for the test. I've been reading a few posts here on TE where people are spending less time than that (primarily because they used Darril Gibsons book) and passing the test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • derekderekderekderek Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2 weeks with about 7hrs a day minus weekends
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    About a month...

1-2 hours on weekdays
    3-4 hours on weekends
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How long are people studying to pass the 201 exam (days/hours)?

I've been procrastinating on starting to study, so i'm going to go ahead and schedule the test, so I have a deadline to be prepared.

How far out should I schedule the test?

Thanks y'all!

With reading 2 months.
  • rthomas4liferthomas4life Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed my test on Friday and I prepared for 3 weeks. I scheduled the test to give myself a deadline which was 3 weeks.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Almost 4 months after not doing anything IT related for 3.5 years. Total number of hours during that time would probably be about 80.

Scored an 842 on the exam.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have had no prior IT knowledge or experience, and Ive been studying off and on for a month....Ill be taking it next week ( fingers crossed)

Ive been using preplogic and its awesome
  • PanderPander Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah I would say about 3 weeks for me too.
    I just read Darril's book, wrote a couple practice tests and then wrote the exam. I have my Net+ which I found helped me a little bit... maybe not having that, it would have taken me a bit longer.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have had no prior IT knowledge or experience, and Ive been studying off and on for a month....Ill be taking it next week ( fingers crossed)

Ive been using preplogic and its awesome

If you are using all of the PrepLogic materials I suggest getting Darril Gibson's Security+ book fror Kindle. It's only $10 and it helps fill in some of the gaps that missing from the Video Training and Mega Guide.

The practice exams from PrepLogic however are top notch. I did all 396 questions in one shot and when I was able to get at least 95%, I think I got 392 right out of 396 I was ready.
  • dukesmjdukesmj Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't stress it enough....GET Darril's book!! Such a great read and easy to follow!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    3-4 weeks
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • kbr0125kbr0125 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    studied/took class for 4 days, passed with 852, have good study material, took lots of practice exams, have power points for each chapter of a book they gave us. have 2 years of daily experience with networking not so much security but lots of the concepts transfer over and assist parts of sec+.
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    spent 2 or 3 weeks on it. I decided in December that I wanted to get it done before the For Life was taken away.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Scheduled it the 3rd week out. I have no prior experience at all; I barely scraped by!
  • camaro684camaro684 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually studied for 2 months for it. But I tend of overstudy.
  • louisevlouisev Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a software engineer - and my security and networking experience is 15 years old - in other words, useless. I studied for two solid weeks, took the Comptia Sec+ course from CompTia (didn't help a lot), studied Darrill Gibson's book on Kindle backwards and forwards, and bought the practice tests from Security Exams (on this forum - I recommend them, they are very much like the real test.) I was nervous that I was pushing too hard, but I passed the test with an 813. Not 'barely scraping by' but considering an 83% is needed to pass, that isn't a whole lot of margin for error. The test is hard for people who are not security or networking folks.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I'm curious to know if when folks are saying 3 weeks, if that's 2-3 hours a night and 3-4 on the weekend days or if that's 4-6 hours a day no matter what.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if when folks are saying 3 weeks, if that's 2-3 hours a night and 3-4 on the weekend days or if that's 4-6 hours a day no matter what.

Thats probably 1-2 hours on weeknights and 3-4 on weekends give or take. With Darril Gibson's book, you will cruise right through it. An hour of reading that thing is effortless.
    Decide what to be and go be it.