Moving on finally! Passed at 3rd try!

sixfeetdeepsixfeetdeep Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am moving on with my MCSA! It took me 3 tries at the beast, but it is over with a 807 score. Debatting whether I should work at CISSP or 70-298 for Security Endorsement-any thoughts?

b

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    298 is for the MCSE, you'd want the 299. Objectives are nearly the same, though.

I would start on CISSP, I don't think the MCSA Security is really worth it in the long run. If you intend on finishing the MCSE then I would consider going ahead with the 299 since you already have the Sec+

MCSA + Sec+ + 293 + 294 + 299 + 298 = MCSE Security.

Then that one additional test will pay off because the study you do for the 299 would really carry over to the 298.

BUT!!!! If that is your plan, to get the MCSE Security, before you do anything else (I mean anything - even before you eat lunch) start to prep for the 293 as the objectives overlap enough with the 291 that all the effort you put into the 291 will carry over.

If I were you and I wanted to complete the MCSE Security I would take this track:
    70-293
    70-299
    70-298
    70-294

If you do not wish to complete the MCSE Sec, then I would just go ahead to the CISSP as it is going to have a much better standing than the MCSA Security.

ANd I forgot - Congrats!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am moving on with my MCSA! It took me 3 tries at the beast, but it is over with a 807 score. Debatting whether I should work at CISSP or 70-298 for Security Endorsement-any thoughts?

Congrats on sticking with it. This one took me a few times to pass.

Before all else, finish off the MCSE. Don't leave it half done just because there's an MCSA title out there. It really is worth it.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Way to go - I know you're relieved. I'm not that attracted to the the MCSx specialties myself, so I would just work on the CISSP. You are halfway to the MCSE, though. Any thoughts about finishing that?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • sixfeetdeepsixfeetdeep Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses! I do plan on completing the MCSE:Security track. I was going to take 298, 299, 293 & 294, so I can get the MCSA:Security first, but according to the guidance given, I think I'll change to 293 first.

Thanks again!

b
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It is what I did on the advice of a instructor/friend and I am very glad as it saved me a lot of time relearning stuff for the 293. The reason I suggest you complete the 299/298 before the 294 is then you get the MCSA Sec designation a little faster so you see some reward. My copy of the MOAC for the 20-297 (which I did not take) had the wrong CD in it. It actually had the material for the 299 and I used it to prep for the 298 as well as the 298 material and they were nearly identical. I did not take the 299 (I did the 350 ISA Server exam) but the two test (299/29icon_cool.gif are obviously very similar.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • mezekermezeker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice work. I know you will get your MCSE, that is the way to go after all.
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

"You must not only test whether an application
    does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□

b
    Third time's a charm for me too hehehe