Using only videos to pass?

MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I recently got my A+ cert. and decided to go the next minor step up and attempt the Network+ exam.

The problem I had with the A+ studying was that I have what seems to be a 0% attention span for books. I started reading Mike Meyers book for the A+ in January, and it took me about 3 months to finish; it was really difficult to force myself to read more than an hour a day... (Although it's a very informative book).

And then I used Professor Messer's A+ videos, and I thought they were absolutely great! I watched about 3 or 4 hours a day without feeling forced or bored.

I'm watching Professor Messer's Network+ videos now, and they are great too. I'm taking notes this time unlike with the A+ videos, as I'm less familiar with networking concepts.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to compliment the Professor Messer videos with something like CBT Nuggets or TrainSignal videos as opposed to grinding my teeth through another book? Are the books that much more helpful than the videos?

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Professor Messer may be enough for you although I would recommend using more than one source for studying. Be sure bto have your ports down pat as well as your cable lengths and speeds.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree with Earweed, using more than one study source is always a good idea. Rarely does one product cover everything you can get questioned about on the exam regardless of its quality (Novell's "Red books" used to be like that long ago) so considering the price of a CompTIA exam investing in a second product can actually save you money eventually. Personally I'd go for practice exams instead of another video product but books are cheap so I would at least get that. Even if you do read only 1 hour a day for a few weeks or a month, that's a lot of additional information that will increase the chances of getting that pass.
    Mirth wrote:
    And then I used Professor Messer's A+ videos, and I thought they were absolutely great! I watched about 3 or 4 hours a day without feeling forced or bored.
    We're you trying to read the book on the same day? I can imagine the book being boring/slow "after" watching a video for a few hours.
  • MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice fellas! Looks like I'll definitely use a second source, possibly practice exams if I can find them.

Webmaster wrote: »
    We're you trying to read the book on the same day? I can imagine the book being boring/slow "after" watching a video for a few hours.

Nope, they were separate occasions. I only started watching the videos after I had read the entire book. I didn't even know about Prof. Messer at the time, until I started coming here.
  • Timberwolf5578Timberwolf5578 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it's best to have both books and videos.

Speaking of videos, I recently purchased an animated Network+ Certification video course from PowerCert.com and it is absolutely excellent! I highly recommend it.

As far Network+ books go, currently I have "Network+ Guide to Networks by Tamara Dean" which is a very good book, and "Network+ Fast Pass by Bill Ferguson" which is also a very good book. I am not sure if the Ferguson book is totally up-to-date since it was published in 2005, but it's nonetheless still a very good book. I also plan on getting eventually getting the "CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide by Mike Myers" as well.

I hope this information helps.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    I would strongly suggest picking up a book.

I'm currently studying for my Network+. I started with Mike Meyers Network+ book, which is a good and easy read. I then did a practice exam and noticed a bit of information I didn't pick up in the book, so I grabbed the Network+ CBT nuggets. Those are very helpful but expensive. I still didn't feel like I had everything I needed, so I purchased the Network+ kit from CompTIA which has Todd Lammle's book. The Network+ kit is quite probably everything one would need to pass. The information in the kit is very thorough, and the tests at the end of each chapter help reinforce what you've read (there are your typical 20 questions at the end of chapter, as well as 10 "written lab" questions which are questions you don't have multiple choices for).

Videos alone won't cut it in my opinion.
  • JpgonzalJpgonzal Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Prof. Messer is a great source. I mean it's free, informative, produced well, who can argue with that! But, and he mentions it on his site, that no one source is going to give you 100% everything you need. Prof Messer is a great supplemental tool to full in the gaps and to get away from the book.

I haven't used Train Signal or CBT so I can't comment on them but I hear good things. Eventually, you'll run into a certification or maybe topics of a certification that a video just doesn't cover well. It would be wise you use everything at your disposal, practice tests etc. including books. But ultimately, if your learning the material and learning it well, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Don't do yourself a disservice by neglecting book time, though. Perhaps try something different? Maybe try reading in a park? (though some of those textbooks are unsightly massive! ) Or spoil yourself and get a new recliner. I actually did that when I was in college, bought this awesome leather lazy boy that I would read in. Like wrapped in a cloud sitting on marshmallows resting on a Temper-pedic. Is that a bit much? Hell yeah it is, but you know what, I have never read so much in my life in the months following that purchase! icon_thumright.gif
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    Jpgonzal wrote: »
    Or spoil yourself and get a new recliner. I actually did that when I was in college, bought this awesome leather lazy boy that I would read in. Like wrapped in a cloud sitting on marshmallows resting on a Temper-pedic. Is that a bit much? Hell yeah it is, but you know what, I have never read so much in my life in the months following that purchase! icon_thumright.gif

That's actually an interesting thought. I might have to indulge and get myself a nice reading chair. I end up reading in bed 90% of the time and it's rather uncomfortable.
  • Soloman70Soloman70 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Books and videos are the best way to pass an exam, no question.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As the others have stated, books are usually an essential piece to a good study plan. Multiple angles will help you see the entire situation and not just one piece of it. I like videos for that hands on feel, but I don't know a way to learn the technical details other than books.

With that being said, I took on both MCDST exams (271 and 272) using only the CBT nugget videos. My reasoning for this was that I was confident that I already had most of the knowledge, I have a NSS subscription and didn't want to blow more money, and I didn't feel like spending the time to read the book. I passed both exams with excellent scores, but I did feel like my knowledge was lacking. I can recall several questions that my video didn't explicitely cover. I used prior knowledge and a process of elimination to give an answer that I was quite confident in (and more often than not was also correct). But that is one of the things that you will encounter by only using a single source. If that person doesn't believe something to be important they might skip it or move quickly through it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's basically what I did, I just watched the Mike Meyers LearnKey videos for Network+ and passed.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • LaserpewpewLaserpewpew Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say professor messer's videos are great but wouldnt rely on it totally. The test is really easy know your port numbers, troubleshooting, tools, and wireless which is a huge thing on the exam i think i had about 10-15 questions on wireless and wireless troubleshooting.
  • mykie413mykie413 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did it with A+ and I'm doing the same with Net+ right now, definitely take practice tests though. 8 days til my test I'll keep you posted
  • mykie413mykie413 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed today using only professor messer, 775, could've been higher
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide by Mike Myers

Not as bulky as the A+ counterpart, and a better read. The Professor Messer videos are good, but you'll find that when you reference the book on a particular topic that was mentioned in the video, there can be a lot more to it.

Perhaps approach it in that way (cherry pick the topics), as opposed to starting on Page 1.

If you're troubleshooting skills and experience are good, the Network+ exam is not too taxing (with the usual few topics to know off by heart in preparation for the exam).
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use a combination of books, videos, and online references such as TechNet to pass my exams. It's not impossible to pass using only videos but I would recommend using multiple sources to get best scope of knowledge.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not trying to be a jerk here but i dont see how you will cut it in IT, without being able to read and research with or without books. Not everything is in video format, especially troubleshooting, logs, researching error messages, etc. But then again you mentioned being ok with some network+ books so i am not sure where you really stand with text books lol

Some books are bland and boring, while others are very good to read and flow really well. That is all i can really give you for now. Supplementing video with your text studies i highly recommend and i do that as well for my exams. However i like to read and learn the technology first to the best of my abilities then enforce it with lab practices and CBT videos.

GL!icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am certainly a visual learner myself. But there is no way around it, if you want to do more than low level support you need to be able to read a 50 page technical document with retention in an afternoon.

You've made the first step though, you recognise you are visual learner. So rather than work directly on your certs, you can work on the gap.

Reading 1 sentence a day for a couple weeks, up it to 2, then 3. Rinse repeat. It will take you at least 6 months before you get to any reasonable level. But I think you'll find the process very enlightening. FOCUS on retention.

So no, can't pass most certs on video alone.
    -Daniel