$100k+/yr Salary Poll

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
Turgon suggested this poll, so here it is...

We're talking USD BASE salary, not including bonuses or other compensation.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You do realise that the vote headline is "Is your base salary over $100k/hr USD" icon_eek.gif

I certainly wish mine was that! :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My dads was(deceased now) ~120k. He was a network operations manager. I only wish mine was though!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im sure once more people from DC chime in, youll see more people say yes.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    bertieb wrote: »
    You do realise that the vote headline is "Is your base salary over $100k/hr USD" icon_eek.gif

I certainly wish mine was that! :D

Haha, oops! $100k/yr obviously. :p I think I'd only work about 1 week every year if I could make that much an hour. :p
  • 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should have included more than two responses. Like 90k+, 75K-89K, 65-74K, ect, ect
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    2E151 wrote: »
    You should have included more than two responses. Like 90k+, 75K-89K, 65-74K, ect, ect

Nah, the question from the other thread was "how many people have passed the magical $100k/yr mark", "not what is your salary range?".
  • Johnta20Johnta20 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And how long, and how many job changes did you make to get there?
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    DMV person here, I'm there. It took 3 years and 4 job changes. I work at a partner no clearance job right now.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Took me ~12 years having a clearance but with out degree.

I finally have my degree, but no longer have my clearance.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    If you count contracts rate then yes I am now. 11 years and no degree, well degree will be done in one month.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It looks like one in seven have 'made it' going by the stats so far. Not a bad return. I have an old CCIE book which talked about CCIE's having no trouble landing six figure salaries. Mind you, back in 1999 100K was a lot of money.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wish I was making $100k+/yr salary. I'll get there eventually icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    US$100K Only cause the AU dollar is so stong against the US
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hahaha I wish I was making $100,000 per hour!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Hahaha I wish I was making $100,000 per hour!

yeah 4 million per week is a pretty low salary maybe for Gates Jobs or Ellison
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My brother is a senior linux admin, for AOL here in DMV. He gets 110k.
  • Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    Born and raised in the DMV area, goal is to get there by 30, 26 now. Make 63k.

BTW I have a friend who makes just at 100k, when you factor in taxes he is taking home about 2600 every 2weeks. Taxes takes all the fun away ugh I money :)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm the only one who had to Google "DMV area"?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »

Nope...
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TheShadow wrote: »
    yeah 4 million per week is a pretty low salary maybe for Gates Jobs or Ellison
    hahaha smart executives actually have a small salary, like $1 per year, they pay themselves in other forms of compensation such as stock options or dividends. It really works out much better for tax purposes.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

Nope. Not at all. I rather call it D.C. Metro area.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Its hard to get over 100K on tech alone. I know a lot of people in IT that make that but they are network managers, project managers etc. Sadly, I am not there yet. Soon, if we can take down a few more big clients.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Its hard to get over 100K on tech alone. I know a lot of people in IT that make that but they are network managers, project managers etc. Sadly, I am not there yet. Soon, if we can take down a few more big clients.

Not necessarily, if you work for a major vendor 100k can be obtained and surpassed quiet easily with tech skills/work alone.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    Not necessarily, if you work for a major vendor 100k can be obtained and surpassed quiet easily with tech skills/work alone.

So is Juniper hiring? icon_lol.gif
    For like TAC or something....
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pay depends heavily on location. US $100K isn't a good salary if you work in Manhattan (very high cost of living), but it would be an excellent salary in Pueblo, CO (well below average cost of living). Major vendors tend to be in areas with a higher cost of living (Cisco - San Jose, Microsoft - Redmond, etc.) so it shouldn't be surprising that $100K is typical.

If you check a cost of living calculator (e.g. Cost of Living Comparison), you can really see how much of a difference location can make. Since it_consultant is in Denver, I checked the calculator and if he is making $66K there, he'd need $100K to have an equivalent lifestyle in Redmond (the calculator isn't exact but it should be relatively accurate). If he had a $100K offer in Redmond, all else equal I'd still recommend against taking it since it doesn't make sense to incur the hassle and expense of relocation for an equivalent salary.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Pay depends heavily on location

Someone gets it. My wife is an RN and nurses in NY/NJ and CA make at least 50% more than here. The military also has a housing allowance for active duty, based on cost of living. Sure enough, the highest areas are the ones I just mentioned. Here in the midwest is about half of that.

The guys I know making $100k, are the few subject matter experts in servers, virtualization, application development and network gurus. They've also worked for the state for at least several years or more. And can be on call 24/7, do routine maintenance at 2am in the morning on a weekend and have to check in regularly while on vacation.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After reading those 2 posts above you I also was feeling out of the loop and googled DMV area. Then I scrolled down and read your post... couldn't help but laugh.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Pay depends heavily on location.

So very very true. This is one of the reasons I refuse to live/work in California. It's just plain ridiculous to put my current salary in one of those salary calculators and see what I'd need to make to break even...

With that being said vendors do have other jobs that don't require you to live in a high cost of living area. I have many friends who are Resident Engineers who live in Denver, Kansas City, Phoenix, and many other non-California level cost of living areas. These are non-management IT jobs and they all make well over 100k. Also, most of these people have much less then 10 yrs experience.

Best part is there is about 20-30 Resident Engineer openings that I know about that they just can't fill. It's hard to find people with Juniper skills.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I make just under 100k a year but its in Canadian so that means I qualify :)
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So very very true. This is one of the reasons I refuse to live/work in California. It's just plain ridiculous to put my current salary in one of those salary calculators and see what I'd need to make to break even...

With that being said vendors do have other jobs that don't require you to live in a high cost of living area. I have many friends who are Resident Engineers who live in Denver, Kansas City, Phoenix, and many other non-California level cost of living areas. These are non-management IT jobs and they all make well over 100k. Also, most of these people have much less then 10 yrs experience.
    Yeah, location matters but isn't the only factor. For example, if you have a particularly in-demand skill and/or enough experience, you can make over $100K almost anywhere.

The calculators only tells so much, though. There are intangibles that can't be included. I grew up and live in California, so even though I could double my purchasing power by moving to Pueblo, CO, I don't really want to. :)
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV