BCDedit & BCDboot difference??

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
What is the difference between the 2? Other than the fact that BCDboot is used to copy boot environment files and BCD configuration, they seem like the same thing!

I've read that they both can start a PC from a VHD and that they can both add a VHD to a boot menu!

So when it comes to questions like what tool do you use to add a VHD to the boot menu or start Computer1 from a VHD. Which answer do you choose???? It's almost like a trick question.

Comments

• KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    BCDEDIT is the correct answer.

BCDboot is a tool used to quickly set up a system partition, or to repair the boot environment located on the system partition. The system partition is set up by copying a small set of boot environment files from an installed Windows® image. BCDboot also creates a Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store on the system partition with a new boot entry that enables you to boot to the installed Windows image.

BCDEdit is a command-line tool for managing BCD stores. It can be used for a variety of purposes, including creating new stores, modifying existing stores, adding boot menu parameters, and so on. BCDEdit serves essentially the same purpose as Bootcfg.exe on earlier versions of Windows, but with two major improvements:

I'm pretty sure the correct answer is BCDedit.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    thats what my book says. But considering that they can both do essentially the same thing except the repairing of boot environments, then this can easily be a trick question.
    Not really BCDboot is a repair tool not a editor for the bootcfg.exe it can make changes to the BCD but as for the question it says add not repair a VHD to/in the boot menu.

I see you don't have any Microsoft cert's yet is this going to be your first MS test?
    If so get ready there are questions just like this that they try to mislead you it's all in the small details one word changes the answer.
    Krunchi wrote: »
    Not really BCDboot is a repair tool not a editor for the bootcfg.exe it can make changes to the BCD but as for the question it says add not repair a VHD to/in the boot menu.

I see you don't have any Microsoft cert's yet is this going to be your first MS test?
    If so get ready there are questions just like this that they try to mislead you it's all in the small details one word changes the answer.

Right directly off my practice test it says the following:

Q48: You have created a VHD with a disk image that you want to add to a client computer named PC-WS680. You have copied the VHD to PC-WS680 and attached it using the attach vdisk command. You now want to add the VHD to the Windows 7 Boot menu.

A: You should consider using the BCDboot utility to copy the boot enivornment files and Boot Configuration Data (BCD) configuration from the \\Windows directory in the VHD to PC-WS680.

Now if BCDedit would've been one of the options for an answer, i would've chose that. See how this can be tricky? Unless there is something I'm missing.
    "add" is the keyword in that question and the answer was not BCDedit.
    I thought BCDedit was one of the answers so if it was not then I guess bcdboot might be your best answer I agree with you it’s a little misleading and maybe wrong btw what book are you using to study?
    MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680) Configuring Windows 7? If so it is known to be a poor source and full of mistakes.
    I'm using 4 books. MCTS - Sybex, MCTS - MS training kit, MCTS Exam Cram, MCTS (some off-brand)
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why are the computer names hashed out in your posts, Derek? Just curious.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com