Options

Electronics engineer : CISSP guidance

Ashish_singhAshish_singh Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys !
I am an electronics (& telecom) engineer. I am interested in pursuing a career in Info Security. I was advised to prepare for the CISSP exam. My knowledge of IT - intermediate level coder in C,C++,Java ; elementary knowledge of OS, networks etc.

Please let me know :
1-How to prepare for this exam ?
2-what are the prerequisites needed ? (this is important to me because i am not from CS or the IT field)
3-How much time is "sufficient" to prepare for this exam ? (for most folks)
4-Is there any other exam that i can consider ?

Thanks for hearing.
Ashish
India.

Comments

• Options
    Ashish_singhAshish_singh Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    anyone here ? Please help ?
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi guys !
    I am an electronics (& telecom) engineer. I am interested in pursuing a career in Info Security. I was advised to prepare for the CISSP exam. My knowledge of IT - intermediate level coder in C,C++,Java ; elementary knowledge of OS, networks etc.

Please let me know :
    1-How to prepare for this exam ?
    2-what are the prerequisites needed ? (this is important to me because i am not from CS or the IT field)
    3-How much time is "sufficient" to prepare for this exam ? (for most folks)
    4-Is there any other exam that i can consider ?

Thanks for hearing.
    Ashish
    India.

1. To help you prepare, do a search in these forums to see how others prepared. The most common materials are a) experience b) utilizing the Shon Harris All In One (AIO) guide and/or the Official ISC(2) Study Guide.

2. ISC(2) CISSP Pre-requisites

3. How much time you need to prepare is related to how much experience you have and how quickly you can understand the information. Some people only need a month or two, others close to a year. Each individual case is different.

4. If you are just starting out in InfoSec, I would look strongly at the Security+. The CISSP is for people who have years of InfoSec/IT experience, whereas the Security + is considered more "entry level"
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rwmidl wrote: »
    4. If you are just starting out in InfoSec, I would look strongly at the Security+. The CISSP is for people who have years of InfoSec/IT experience, whereas the Security + is considered more "entry level"

As it was previously mentioned, the Security+ is a great stepping stone to this certification. I recently completed it to help enforce my knowledge of IT Security as well to reduce a year out of the required experience for the exam. I didn't need the reduction by the time I plan on taking the exam, but reading the material for the Security+ at that level helped me to understand the material I am currently reading for the CISSP. I am using both the Shon Harris AIO and the Official CISSP CBK book.