Dice.com Forum

BacsiloveBacsilove Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
What the hell is going on in DICE Discussions? And this is supposed to be the "go-to" place for IT professional searching for a job? I found out about DICE through members on TE. It's a great site to go to if you're looking for job. However, if you don't want your dream to be shatter into pieces and then flush down the toilet, do not click on the their discussions page.

A few quotes from DICE
"I also finished a degree from WGU but already had 10+ years of experience before I finished that degree and don't expect much from the degree other than to get me through any HR requirements."

^^^^

Respond: Reality check. This is 2011 and not 1999. Your approach probably won't work today.

"Today you not only need a BS degree from a top 10 school you might need an MS degree along with internship experience just to get a help desk job."

"I'll "buy" that ................. except why do you suppose that a person with 30+ yrs of COBOL programming experience, who made north of $50k, was "offered" a similar job paying $18k/yr salary-exempt for a 50-60 hr work week? Or being "offered" a $25k/yr salary-exempt for a position to migrate an ERP system off an HP3000 to a Wintel based SQL Server solution, and be a Sys Admin for a firm with 5 locations in 3 states, with a 500 node PC network with 10+ servers? And BTW: those "low-ball" positions were filled, I just didn't "win" either one!"
What a bunch of downer. I wish I've never stumble upon DICE discussions page. I’m pretty sure that conversing with a bunch of death row inmates would have been a much more pleasant time.

Dice.com forum: The place where IT dreams die and get buried.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What a load of crock! Glad I stick with TE only.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    I only recently discovered their forum feature, but yeah, lots of bitter people there.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's total crap, stay away from those crank pots.

My mother programs REXX and COBOL has offers all the time for north of six figures. She doesn't get help desk offers.

In others words that post is boring :)
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Could someone help me understand why I can't find a job? I do everything right! I'm grumpy, have very poor social skills, I know a little bit about some exceptionally old technologies that I have not used in over two decades but think I'm still an expert in, I have not bothered to update my skill-set, and I treat my "customers" like idiots! But I still can't find work.... Haylp!
    Could someone help me understand why I can't find a job? I do everything right! I'm grumpy, have very poor social skills, I know a little bit about some exceptionally old technologies that I have not used in over two decades but think I'm still an expert in, I have not bothered to update my skill-set, and I treat my "customers" like idiots! But I still can't find work.... Haylp!

LMAO!

+1 and Rep
    Bacsilove wrote: »
    What the hell is going on in DICE Discussions? And this is supposed to be the "go-to" place for IT professional searching for a job?

The only use I have ever gotten out of Dice was the postings. I avoid the froums as if they were Windows ME.
    N2IT wrote: »
    LMAO!

+1 and Rep

Thank you! icon_wink.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    N2IT wrote: »
    My mother programs REXX and COBOL has offers all the time for north of six figures. She doesn't get help desk offers.
    That's because she's one of the few people left who can help maintain the billion lines of code still running in those arcane languages that nobody wants to learn anymore (except the mainframe programmers in China). One day Visual Basic 6 will be in that category and then I'll be making a bundle. icon_lol.gif
    JDMurray wrote: »
    That's because she's one of the few people left who can help maintain the billion lines of code still running in those arcane languages that nobody wants to learn anymore (except the mainframe programmers in China). One day Visual Basic 6 will be in that category and then I'll be making a bundle. icon_lol.gif

:)

Hiliarous!

Yeah she also programs in some other IBM language as well, I have no idea what it is though. I was once half tempted to do my internship with her back in the day to learn DB2 and REXX. Obviously I blew that opportunity.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Except MS just said that they are going to open source VB6...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    powerfool wrote: »
    I thought that and C Flat were April Fools Day jokes...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    powerfool wrote: »
    That doesn't mean new people will suddenly want to learn to program in it. Actually, so many people already know VBA and VBScript that it's hardly a lost programming art.
  • BacsiloveBacsilove Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I checked out the forum again today. Man, the animosity on DICE forum is unbearable. From the look of it, majority of the doom and gloom pessimists are in there late 40’s and early 50’s who’s still reminiscing about the good ol’ day (90’s dot com boom). IT is an ever changing field and you have to adapt as time progress. All they do is talk about how they should have gone into field such as law or medical where they don’t have to adjust to new technology.

Kinda sad really, I bet these were the guys that got into IT for money during the dot com era and now wish that they’d gone into something that they enjoy instead.
    I checked out the forum again today. Man, the animosity on DICE forum is unbearable. From the look of it, majority of the doom and gloom pessimists are in there late 40’s and early 50’s who’s still reminiscing about the good ol’ day (90’s dot com boom). IT is an ever changing field and you have to adapt as time progress. All they do is talk about how they should have gone into field such as law or medical where they don’t have to adjust to new technology.

Kinda sad really, I bet these were the guys that got into IT for money during the dot com era and now wish that they’d gone into something that they enjoy instead.

Nice post

Makes you wondering if what you said at the end there is actual true. I remember MCSE's getting 10-15k signing bonuses and people getting 3-5 for referring one to a company. This was in the 90's, now you don't see anything like that anymore.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah I've been on their forums before. The vast majority of doom and gloom posts are from programmers, not sysadmin type folks.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Dice forums have been like that for a couple of years now. When the economy went south and off shoring took a lot of low to mid level jobs overseas the forums just exploded with trolls. A lot of India bashing, cert bashing, college bashing, IT bashing. I stay far away from there.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Amazing. I never visited that board and I see I didn't miss anything.

"IT, both hardware and software, has been considered a joke by most business owners and department heads since 2001-2002. The only people who allow their kids to learn programming or networking are those with children who are suffering from ADD or ADHD who will probably wind up working for the family business anyway."

and...

I know some mechanical engineers that are pseudo helpdesk workers because frankly they are not needed in most workplaces. Nobody needs people to build their computers anymore, install windows, and set up their networks. Things dont break enough to require that.

Those guy have serious issues.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    icon_rolleyes.gif ....
    Interviewing Rule #1

If you are a US IT worker, and you are being interviewed, either by phone or in-person, by 1 or more Indians,
    even if there is only 1 Indian in the group, you will not get the job.

This has been proven to be 100% correct by NASA, Stephen Hawking, Berkely physicists, etc.

I repeat, YOU WILL NOT GET THE JOB.

They will ask questions in 'garbly Hinglish', that you will not understand. On purpose.

I can't tell you how many times this experiment has played out over the last 10 years, with no job offers being extended to US IT workers.

We would be better off walking out the door or hanging up the phone.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    "Today you not only need a BS degree from a top 10 school you might need an MS degree along with internship experience just to get a help desk job."

Glad I didn't go there first and get discouraged. I just went out and got the help desk job with no certs, experience or college. Worked pretty well for me, even after my department was sold I still have no problems finding another position higher up the food chain with only CompTIA certs, a few years help desk and still no college. Might be the difference between coming in and busting your butt every day to do the best job you can, or coming in and doing the bare minimum to get by so you don't stand out. I must say, i'm glad I don't work with folks like that every day.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.