Do you reccomend net+ before ccna

digzthisdigzthis Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all...I"ve decided to make a leap and change career paths...initially was going to jump in and start studying for the ccna but realized my knowledge might not be quite up to par for that yet. Would it make sense to go after the net + certification first to use as a stepping stool to the ccna? thanks!

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would definitely recommend reading the material of Network+ but go for the CCNA certification. It will be more beneficial and a better overall return on investment for your career.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Yes, Net+ will help you to build network fundamental knowledge.
  • digzthisdigzthis Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks, so read and comprehend the net +, skip the test, then move onto the ccna? Don't really need the certification huh?
  • lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    digzthis wrote: »
    thanks, so read and comprehend the net +, skip the test, then move onto the ccna? Don't really need the certification huh?

No reason to skip the test. It ain't gunna hurt to have it.
    cool, thanks lunchbox
  • _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey all...I"ve decided to make a leap and change career paths...initially was going to jump in and start studying for the ccna but realized my knowledge might not be quite up to par for that yet. Would it make sense to go after the net + certification first to use as a stepping stool to the ccna? thanks!

I would definately use the net+ as precursor to the ccna. I agree with the other replies as the net+ will not hurt you.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you take the Network+ exam, it will give you insight on what you have to work on when going for your CCNA
  • jblavenjblaven Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As someone who is in a similar situation, and who is currently studying to take the Network+ exam, I would have to say that I am learning many things I believe the CCNA would expect you to already know.

Take the Network+ exam. I'd have to believe that the knowledge gained from studying Network+ material is prerequisite learning (while not required - but expected knowledge) for the CCNA.

By taking the Network+ exam and getting the cert. you at least would have a good foundation to start CCNA.

I've got the study materials on CCNA and I feel the Network+ will only make your life a lot easier when it comes to studying for the CCNA.

Good luck!
  • southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you're in the same boat as me. I debated whether or not to take the network + exam, but from what I've read here and elsewhere it's not worth it. I feel that the CCNA encompasses the objectives of the network+ and much more. I am trying to get my certifications on a tight budget and spending money on network+ just doesn't seem worthwhile. I am reading Todd Lammle's Network + book and some other material before I start on my CCNA studies. I already have my lab waiting on me as soon as I finish my prerequisite readings.

Here's what I'm reading before I start CCNA in case you're curious.

Todd Lammle's Network + - Sybex
    The Definitive Guide to Ethernet - O'Reilly
    TCP/IP Illustrated - Addison-Wesley
  • impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having done Network+ before and now pursuing the CCNA (reviewing all the materials b4 i attempt the exam atm), I think that having Network+ knowledge is not necessary if you would like to attempt the CCNA.

If I remember correctly, all the topics that are covered in Network+, are covered in CCNA excluding some such as, working with networking tools, general procedure to follow in troubleshooting a network problem and more indepth in command line usage etc.
    south wrote: »
    I think you're in the same boat as me. I debated whether or not to take the network + exam, but from what I've read here and elsewhere it's not worth it. I feel that the CCNA encompasses the objectives of the network+ and much more. I am trying to get my certifications on a tight budget and spending money on network+ just doesn't seem worthwhile. I am reading Todd Lammle's Network + book and some other material before I start on my CCNA studies. I already have my lab waiting on me as soon as I finish my prerequisite readings.

The cost of the Network+ exam may not be worth it to some, but if you were looking to break into the field prior to getting your CCENT or CCNA certifications, it wouldn't hurt to have it on the resume.

I am sure that if you can get certified for the CCNA, the Network+ exam would be a cakewalk and be seen as the lesser certification. On the flip side, if you couldn't pass the Network+ exam, the CCNA would be even farther from reach.
    Appreciate the responses. I picked up lammies book for the ccna with really very basic computer networking knowledge and within the first chapter i was needing to look up what seemed like very basic knowledge I should have already had. I'm now reading the comptia network + which I feel is helping because its explaining things that I was needing to look up to get the whole picture in lammies book. I figure it won't hurt, might delay me a couple months but I think it'll be worth it in the long run to REALLY know whats going on...
    Appreciate the responses. I picked up lammies book for the ccna with really very basic computer networking knowledge and within the first chapter i was needing to look up what seemed like very basic knowledge I should have already had. I'm now reading the comptia network + which I feel is helping because its explaining things that I was needing to look up to get the whole picture in lammies book. I figure it won't hurt, might delay me a couple months but I think it'll be worth it in the long run to REALLY know whats going on...

I think you will be glad you did.:) Plus, I think you will find good explanations of topics in both books. Specifically on how to subnet. I needed to reference both books to get a grasp of the topic as each explained it a little different.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I figure it won't hurt, might delay me a couple months but I think it'll be worth it in the long run to REALLY know whats going on...
    It sounds like the Network+ will help you build a solid foundation of knowledge for your future studies -- and future career.

A lot of people who go for the quick fix and short cuts find that their hoped for IT career never happens or comes crashing down around them for lack of a solid foundation.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • JpgonzalJpgonzal Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It sounds like the Network+ will help you build a solid foundation of knowledge for your future studies -- and future career.

A lot of people who go for the quick fix and short cuts find that their hoped for IT career never happens or comes crashing down around them for lack of a solid foundation.

Totally agree. It seems the natural progression leading into CCNA would be Network+. I do not see the CCNA as an introductory course, where the Network+ is a great starting point.

I believe if your serious about the career change and unsure about your abilities in the field, then absolutely is Network+ right for you. Now, just to be clear, the Network+ probably won't land you any tech job, but it is a logical step on your resume. Plus, you can launch into CCNA afterward bringing that experience to the next level.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would definitely recommend reading the material of Network+ but go for the CCNA certification. It will be more beneficial and a better overall return on investment for your career.

+1

Read the network + material, but go for the CCENT or CCNA when it comes time to get a certificate.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    south wrote: »

I really like that reading list you have there!

It really helps to be steeped in the fundamentals, when you go on to troubleshooting later on. It's kind of like mathematics, where first, you learn to count. Later, you learn to add and subtract. Even later, you learn to multiply and divide. At some point, you get to deal with exponents, then binomials, then polynomials, then logarithmic functions, then limits, then etc. It's just a natural progression.

Once the fundamentals are sound, you build atop them.

I know a CCNA (guy I worked with at prior job), who can't figure out how to set up his VLANs. Of course, you're not going to memorize every command, that's why Cisco has doc cd/config guides/manuals/etc., and even question mark in the IOS/CATOS/etc.. But, you don't want to confuse a switch's management IP address with whether or not a VLAN is allowed on the device. You don't want to be one of those who is completely lost with the CLI, and can only do configuration via GUI. Also, you don't want to be one of those who goes and disables spanning tree, without being aware of the consequences of your actions.

^^^ Don't be that guy. Some of you might know him. Back in the day when I took Microsoft exams, he used to be called "Bob." You know, the guy who's always going around screwing up your network, and then you have to go behind him and fix it?

Also, you never know enough ... things are always moving forward. It's good to not get blindsided by stuff, and try to stay as informed as possible in your field.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • CbrandonBCbrandonB Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would personally recommend doing Net+ before CCNA.

It covers a bit more breadth than the CCNA does on some very fundamental things that will help a lot in real world troubleshooting, IMO. I chose to even start with A+ after already working in IT. :) Simply because I like to build my buildings from the ground up. Plus, I have to admit, work pays for as many certs as I want to do, so I'm not paying for them either. :D

Brandon
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    network plus has alot of info that will help with ccna professor messer's free net plus training has alot of good info and cbtnuggats instructor for net plus michael shannon includes alot of info about cisco

Network Scaners | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

CBT Nuggets Certification Packages
    I appreciate the responses everyone has been really helpful! If I were to get the a+ and net +, would those alone get me an entry level job to start gaining experience? From what I've been reading even with the ccna it would still be tough to get a job with no experience right?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    would those alone get me an entry level job to start gaining experience?
    You can get a low level job with just people skills and a smile since it's easier to teach a person with people skills to read from a database then it is to teach people skills to a techno dweeb loser. The more education, certifications, and experience (and luck) you have MAY help you start at a higher level position.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i'm glad I did the network plus! gave me an excellent explanation on things like subnetting, vlans, routers, switches, wireless and many more topics.

If I had not done net+ and gone straight into ccent/ccna I would have really struggled and i'd have felt I was trying to run before I could walk.TBH if someone had told me i'd be passing the A+,net+ and security+ all within 3 months of each other i'd have called them a lier and walked away saying it was impossible.

This is just my personal situation but i know there's obviously a lot of people out there who are super clever and can do it (i.e. do ccna without any prior certs and knowledge) without even missing a beat.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • DBrewer254DBrewer254 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like some of the others, I'm glad that I studied and took the Net + cert. It gave me a very good foundation for the CCNA exam. I now have some experience and am working toward my CCNP. If you can afford it, build the foundation with A+, Net + and security +. It will help in the long run.

As far as getting a job in the IT industry, Certs get you into the entry level positions. Experience and education move you up the ranks. I am a Network Operations Manager for Northrop Grumman. When hiring a new network engineer, I look for someone who has a basic foundation that I can build on. That means Net+ and Security + at a minimum.
    DBrewer254 wrote: »

Experience and education move you up the ranks. I am a Network Operations Manager for Northrop Grumman. When hiring a new network engineer, I look for someone who has a basic foundation that I can build on. That means Net+ and Security + at a minimum.

I wish there were more bosses like you over here in England as i'd love to break into the field
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    You need to do your own cost benefit analysis. Study the Net+ material, but I wouldn't recommend actually taking the exam unless you've got money to burn, or you just want to get an idea of what it's like taking a timed and proctored exam.

The Net+ itself becomes essentially worthless once you pass the CCNA. If you're going to knock out the CCNA in less than a year, I don't think Net+ is worth it, especially with it's lifetime status gone away. If it'll take you a few years to get to CCNA, then maybe it's worth it.

The Net+ itself becomes essentially worthless once you pass the CCNA. If you're going to knock out the CCNA in less than a year, I don't think Net+ is worth it, especially with it's lifetime status gone away. If it'll take you a few years to get to CCNA, then maybe it's worth it.

very subjective question but How long does it take on average to study for and pass the ccna?
    for someone who is say new to networking and someone who has some basic knowledge of it?
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You need to do your own cost benefit analysis. Study the Net+ material, but I wouldn't recommend actually taking the exam unless you've got money to burn, or you just want to get an idea of what it's like taking a timed and proctored exam.

Not only that, but the CCENT (which you get by passing the first exam in the two-exam track for the CCNA) was meant to be a replacement for the Network+.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    MrXpert wrote: »
    very subjective question but How long does it take on average to study for and pass the ccna?
    for someone who is say new to networking and someone who has some basic knowledge of it?

Depends on the person, their dedication, their willings to study, and their comprehension ability. I studied for the CCNA for 10 months, but I could have done it after six (I was in the Cisco Network Academy in a year long course, and by the time we hit month 10, I couldn't take the slow pace of the class anymore and just went and passed the exam).

Some folks can do it quicker, some slower, it's up to each individually to honestly assess how much time it will take them, and to reassess based on progress down the line. I think a large part of the problem people have is that they don't know how to set goals properly. If folks would write their goals down, on purpose, with a definite set date, and then work toward that, it works out alot better than 'I'll take it when I'm ready'. Next thing you know it's 2 years later, and you've spent more time watching television than studying