Options

Windows Server analyser

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I thought this would be a fairly straight forward app to find. I have an SME client with no system monitoring/reporting tools and I need to produce a monthly report on what's going on with 20-30 servers. There's no documentation and up until now, predecessors have been RDPing to each server and manually noting down disk space levels, event logs, stopped services, AV revisions, updates, etc., and typing into a cumbersome report.

Anyone know of a free, unobstrusive apps that can perform at least some of these tasks?
My plan was to PS script it but I'm not allowed to spend too much time on this client. But I figure if it's my responsibility to attend to their system, I ought to do a proper job and show some visibility of the network.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You could try out Spiceworks, I haven't delved too far into its monitoring capabilities but it shouldn't take too much effort to deploy and set up monitoring. You could also go down the Nagios route though it would take a fair bit more effort in configuration.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    You could try out Spiceworks, I haven't delved too far into its monitoring capabilities but it shouldn't take too much effort to deploy and set up monitoring. You could also go down the Nagios route though it would take a fair bit more effort in configuration.

Sure enough, Nagios was my suggestion to management, but apparently the client doesn't pay enough to have a comprehensive solution put in. icon_rolleyes.gif

Checking out Spiceworks, looks to have a few features that I've been chasing. Thanks for that.