VPN How To

jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Kinda new to VPN. Does anybody know of a tutorial or can explain how to and what is needed to set up a VPN. Thanks, Good Day

JDog29

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Tons of info on Vpns, and a whole lot more....here...
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sweet find Ricka182 Thanks a bunch. I have been reading all that info for hours.. very cool.

One other quick question. I am relatively new to VPN's, I understand how they work and all. But doesn't it take a server and server software exchange to implement. I would like to set up a few computers to be able to access a few other computer across town in office. VPN looks like the way to go. Thanks for all your input guys.

JDog29
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If you are shopping for VPN servers, I've use the SSL-Explorer VPN server found at SourceForge.net (sourceforge.net/projects/sslexplorer/). SSL-Explorer runs on non-server Windows operating systems (e.g., Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, etc.), has a Java-based web client management interface, and is freely available under the Gnu Public License (GPL). There is the OpenVPN server (openvpn.net), which is also an SSL/TLS-based VPN server released under the GPL. However, OpenVPN does not (yet) have the ability to support web-based clients, if that's important to you.
    I tried the SSL Explorer you mentioned above and played around with it for a bit with no luck. It was confusing and I did not get much accomplished. I might have to look into something like PCAnywhere, or GoToMyPC. Anybody ever heard of these softwares that create VPN. I am looking for somethng simple to be able to access office computers from home and vice versa. Need Advice. Please anybody.

Thanks,

JDog29
    A VPN is used to create a secure network connection between a network and a remote client computer. To the client computer, it will seem as if it is directly connected to the network. A remote desktop access tool, such as VNC, pcAnywhere, or GoToMyPC, allows you to see the desktop of a remote machine in a window on your local PC. Your local PC is not "connected" to a remote network as it is with a VPN. In other words, a VPN and a remote desktop access utility is not the same thing. One will suit any particular need better than the other.

If you want to try a free remote desktop utility, try RealVNC at www.realvnc.com, or the Windows XP Remote Desktop Connection software, for all flavors of Windows, at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80111f21-d48d-426e-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en.
    I understand the difference between VPN and Remote Access, I think. But you do need a VPN for Remote Connection to work, right? Can a person have a VPN with one XP computer from home to a computer across town running XP also, no server involved. I believe that is not possible without a third party software such as PCanywhere or Gotomypc. Still need more learning on this. And thanks for all your great input.

JDog29
    You do not need a VPN to use a remote access utility. A VPN is used to create a private (that is, "secure") connection across a public network (the Internet). Many remote access tools have encryption options built-in for privacy on public networks and do not need a VPN for privacy. All remote access utilities will work across a VPN anyway because they do not know (or care) that a VPN is being used.

Remote access utilities work on a client-sever model, just like VPNs. In the case of remote access, the "server" is a service running on the machine that is to be remotely accessed. In pcAnywhere, the remote machine being accessed runs a "host service" and accepts connections from "remote client" machines. Both the host and remote software are just two different pieces of the pcAnywhere utility.

If all you need to do is access the desktop of a remote machine (that is, use a remote machine as if you were sitting in front of it), then a tool like pcAnywhere, VNC, or WinXP Remote Desktop will work great for you, and you do not need to worry about setting up and using a VPN.
    Yes, what I want to do is access a XP pro computer across town at office from XP Pro computer at home. Then when I am able to work at computer as if I were in front of it, then I would be able to access documents and such on a few other computers on that network through my network places. How do I remote access into that computer across town? Do I need the ip address? It is a DSL connection and probably not a static ip and changes every few days. Do I need the actual ip address or the standard generic ip address that i would get from the switch and dsl modem.. such as 192.168.254.4 or something to that matter. How do I make that connection be it with VPN or just Remote Access. I am having trouble figuring this out without using server 2003 exchange, or other third party software. Thanks for being patient and all your help and input jdmurray. Peace.

JDog29
    You will need a network connection between the two machines. You will need the IP address of the remote machine to control if it is exposed to the network (that is, the Internet). If the remote machine is behind a NAT router/firewall, then the router will need to forward the remote access port(s) to the remote machine to be controlled. You will then use the IP address of the router's outside interface rather than the IP address of the remote machine.

The specific details past this point depends upon the remote access software you use. Both machines being WinXP, I suggest that you give Windows XP Remote Desktop a try. Open Windows XP Help (Start>Help and Support) and search for "remote desktop". Follow the instructions. There are also numerous web pages that discuss how to use Remote Desktop.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jdog29 wrote:
    Yes, what I want to do is access a XP pro computer across town at office from XP Pro computer at home. Then when I am able to work at computer as if I were in front of it, then I would be able to access documents and such on a few other computers on that network through my network places. How do I remote access into that computer across town? Do I need the ip address? It is a DSL connection and probably not a static ip and changes every few days. Do I need the actual ip address or the standard generic ip address that i would get from the switch and dsl modem.. such as 192.168.254.4 or something to that matter. How do I make that connection be it with VPN or just Remote Access. I am having trouble figuring this out without using server 2003 exchange, or other third party software. Thanks for being patient and all your help and input jdmurray. Peace.

JDog29

if your vpn server is a win xp pro - then you will only have one vpn connection. just setup an account that will use by your remote vpn user on your server (the simplest form to try is an administrator account). set your remote client vpn software - by create a vpn connection pointing to your vpn server ip addr (public ip).
    this method apply only if your front end connection is a win xp pro-based router. but if you have other router in front of your xp box then you will need an associated software that come with it (they called it a hardware vpn client) - because many of these things doesnt have interoperability one another.
    and if your remote/vpn server is behind a firewall - then you might consider specify your network details to troubleshoot.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.