Would you take one of these jobs?

I recently received an email from someone who saw my resume on a job site. My question to you all is, would any of you pursue one of these positions?

#1 - VSAT SUPPORT ENGINEER
CLIENT - SRC/TELECOMSYS
LOCATION - AFGHANISTAN (SAFE ZONE)
CLEARANCE - Secret (or higher)
SALARY - UP TO $160K (DEPENDING ON EXPERIENCE)
DURATION - PERM PLACEMENT
Multiple openings

ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Support Engineer is the considered the “one stop shop” for support needs. The Support Engineer will be required to be the Subject Matter Expert on networking and SATCOM equipment produced by the company and other communications equipment providers. Networking experience is required for this position. SATCOM and Line of Site experience is a plus, but not required.

Candidate will be required to work no less than 60 hours a week in austere conditions. Each candidate is

expected to live and work in conditions that are less than favorable while deployed. Candidate will be expected to pass a medical screening prior to deployment. ** Prior military experience is favorable.

PRIMARY DUTIES:
The position requires the candidate has knowledge of IP network concepts to include routing and switching technologies. Must be capable of first-level troubleshooting and implementing basic networks as directed by an appropriate senior engineer. Previous work experience should include working with dynamic routing protocols, IP subnetting, VLANs, STP, and QoS components.

Training and/or providing onsite support to government personnel on operation and maintenance concepts, to include equipment set-up, configuration, satellite acquisition, baseband equipment operation and configuration. Provide direct support on all assigned equipment. Maintain baseline router configurations, and resolve networking issues as required.

SKILLS REQUIRED:
Protocol/Network Theory Experience:

Understanding, configuration and troubleshooting ability of DMVPN Architecture, Routing protocols (OSPF, EIGRP, RIP), Switching fundamentals (VLANS, VTP, Port Security, Spanning Tree), Cisco Encryption Concepts within a DMVPN Architecture, and an understanding of TCP Acceleration over Satellite concepts.
Equipment Experience:

Two years experience operating/maintaining antenna controllers, SSPA, LNA/LNB, up and down converters, Fiber optic/Coax/Ethernet Cable, FDMA/TDMA modems (satellite modems). Experience and skill with commercial and military satellite acquisition procedures, IP routing and switching, VOIP, QoS, Voice and Data - T1/E1, FXS, and commercial TDMA/DAMA modems required.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Position requires a current Secret clearance.

*Other training/certifications: Preferred but not required - CCNA
*Medical Screening in conjunction with the US Army CRC (CONUS Replacement Center) guidelines.

EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum of 2 years information technology support for Windows-Based networks is required. Support engineer candidate that has experience with Satellite Line of Sight and Near Line of Sight transport methods is a plus. Previous experience providing some form of training is also a plus. Candidate will be required to be the Subject Matter Expert on any piece of equipment that is being supported while deployed.

#2 and #3 - SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR AND NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR
CLIENT - SRC/TELECOMSYS
SALARY - SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR - UP TO $180K (DEPENDING ON EXPERIENCE)
NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR - UP TO $200K (DEPENDING ON EXPERIENCE)
Multiple openings

Active MCSE or CCNA and Secret Clearance Required

Job Description:
Sets up, configures, and supports internal and/or external networks. Develops and maintains all systems, applications, security, and network configurations. Troubleshoots network performance issues, creates and maintains a disaster recovery plan. Recommends upgrades, patches, new applications and equipment. Provides technical support and guidance to users.
Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.

Qualifications:
Familiar with configuration/maintaining/troubleshooting the following devices:
Juniper switches, routers are a plus
Cisco switches, routers
Experience with recent versions of cisco IOS
Experience with implementing and troubleshooting BGP (creating and debugging prefix lists) in both WAN and LAN environments
Experience with implementing and troubleshooting EIGRIP/OSPF
Experience with implementing and troubleshooting ACL’s
Experience with implementing and troubleshooting NAT
Familiarity with Windows Server 2003 and XP (ability to log in, get IP address, configuration, etc.)
Familiarity with Solaris 8, 9, or 10 (ability to log in, get IP address configuration, etc.)
The selected candidates will possess one or more of the listed industry certifications: CCNA, MCSE
May require a Bachelor’s degree in area of specialty and 2 years of experience in the field or in a related area.

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I was offered one of those last fall. My significant other said no. Case closed for me. LOL.

EDIT: If I was single, I would already be there. As prior service, the deployment experience would be quite bearable for me.

I fail to see how setting up comms in a "war zone country" is "safe".
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    That is my goal next June, but no clearance here so that is going to be an issue..
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My preference would be for #2 & #3.
    I wouldn't rule out #1 though.

As mentioned above, talk it over with the significant other (if applicable)
    It can take it's toll on a relationship.
  • jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    As soon as I saw "Afghanistan" in the title, I was like, OH HECK NO!!! Even for up to 200K, I wouldn't put myself in harms way.

I have prior deployment experience, but my deployment experience is with the Navy aboard a submarine. Our deployments were never for over a year though. Our deployments were 6 months.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't do it personally. I've been deployed also and its nothing to do with danger, its just so damn boring. Being away for a whole year sucks too.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    I would personally do it. It's income tax free money minus social security and medicare (so long as you stay there at least 330 days). But I don't think I would pass the secret clearance as I have a lot of old unresolved debt from about 6 years ago. My credit report should be squeeky clean in about a year from now though and I should pass. They are pretty big on having clean credit, or at least having payed all your negative items and having a few years pass. But with all my chargeoffs falling off next year. I don't feel like paying 15k and renewing the debt on my credit report for 7 more years.

I will probably try to go overseas in the next couple of years. I've got enough qualifications to do all these jobs, the question is how do I get a company to sponser me.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One thing to note is that ~$100k of your salary is tax exempt. If I wasn't married with kids, I'd do it.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I would do it.....if I were single.

I don't even have to ask my wife to know what she'd think.....
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I would do it in a heartbeat if I met the requirements but I don't have the specific experience they are wanting.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    millworx wrote: »
    I would personally do it. It's income tax free money minus social security and medicare (so long as you stay there at least 330 days). But I don't think I would pass the secret clearance as I have a lot of old unresolved debt from about 6 years ago. My credit report should be squeeky clean in about a year from now though and I should pass. They are pretty big on having clean credit, or at least having payed all your negative items and having a few years pass. But with all my chargeoffs falling off next year. I don't feel like paying 15k and renewing the debt on my credit report for 7 more years.

I will probably try to go overseas in the next couple of years. I've got enough qualifications to do all these jobs, the question is how do I get a company to sponser me.
    Paying off your debt doesn't renew anything on your credit report.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @dave330i: first $94,500 is tax free.

To the OP: the salary range is for the total compensation which includes $16k upon completion if 1 year.
  • chicmagnet2k4chicmagnet2k4 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HELL YEA I WOULD!

There place you are station in Afghanistan are usually generally pretty safe. TAX FREE money, and GREAT experience to put on your resume. It also gives you diversity shows that u can adapt easily, so when you come back to the states. It will be pretty easy to get most jobs. icon_cheers.gif
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Me personally? No. Can any of us tell you if you should? No, only you can decide that.

I'm in the same boat as some of the other guys here... "If I were single, and didn't have kids." 8 years ago I would have, the salary was a lot higher for these jobs back then too. The only problem for me at that time was that I was only halfway through my enlistment and couldn't get out early to do it.

Even if I didn't care about leaving my wife alone with soon to be 3 kids for a year, I still wouldn't take any of the jobs you posted. They're all entry to mid level positions. That might be perfect for you, but it'd be a huge step backwards for me. Hmm, if they pay that much for a low level position, I wonder how much they'd pay for a Senior level position that requires 10+ years experience... ;)
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I recently received an email from someone who saw my resume on a job site. My question to you all is, would any of you pursue one of these positions?

CLIENT - SRC/TELECOMSYS
    Multiple openings

ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
    The Support Engineer is the considered the “one stop shop” for support needs. The Support Engineer will be required to be the Subject Matter Expert on networking and SATCOM equipment produced by the company and other communications equipment providers. Networking experience is required for this position. SATCOM and Line of Site experience is a plus, but not required.

Candidate will be required to work no less than 60 hours a week in austere conditions. Each candidate is

expected to live and work in conditions that are less than favorable while deployed. Candidate will be expected to pass a medical screening prior to deployment. ** Prior military experience is favorable.

PRIMARY DUTIES:
    The position requires the candidate has knowledge of IP network concepts to include routing and switching technologies. Must be capable of first-level troubleshooting and implementing basic networks as directed by an appropriate senior engineer. Previous work experience should include working with dynamic routing protocols, IP subnetting, VLANs, STP, and QoS components.

Training and/or providing onsite support to government personnel on operation and maintenance concepts, to include equipment set-up, configuration, satellite acquisition, baseband equipment operation and configuration. Provide direct support on all assigned equipment. Maintain baseline router configurations, and resolve networking issues as required.

SKILLS REQUIRED:

Understanding, configuration and troubleshooting ability of DMVPN Architecture, Routing protocols (OSPF, EIGRP, RIP), Switching fundamentals (VLANS, VTP, Port Security, Spanning Tree), Cisco Encryption Concepts within a DMVPN Architecture, and an understanding of TCP Acceleration over Satellite concepts.
    Equipment Experience:

Two years experience operating/maintaining antenna controllers, SSPA, LNA/LNB, up and down converters, Fiber optic/Coax/Ethernet Cable, FDMA/TDMA modems (satellite modems). Experience and skill with commercial and military satellite acquisition procedures, IP routing and switching, VOIP, QoS, Voice and Data - T1/E1, FXS, and commercial TDMA/DAMA modems required.
    Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Position requires a current Secret clearance.

*Medical Screening in conjunction with the US Army CRC (CONUS Replacement Center) guidelines.

Minimum of 2 years information technology support for Windows-Based networks is required. Support engineer candidate that has experience with Satellite Line of Sight and Near Line of Sight transport methods is a plus. Previous experience providing some form of training is also a plus. Candidate will be required to be the Subject Matter Expert on any piece of equipment that is being supported while deployed.

CLIENT - SRC/TELECOMSYS
    Multiple openings

Job Description:
    Sets up, configures, and supports internal and/or external networks. Develops and maintains all systems, applications, security, and network configurations. Troubleshoots network performance issues, creates and maintains a disaster recovery plan. Recommends upgrades, patches, new applications and equipment. Provides technical support and guidance to users.
    Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.

Qualifications:
    Cisco switches, routers
    Experience with implementing and troubleshooting BGP (creating and debugging prefix lists) in both WAN and LAN environments
    Familiarity with Windows Server 2003 and XP (ability to log in, get IP address, configuration, etc.)
    Familiarity with Solaris 8, 9, or 10 (ability to log in, get IP address configuration, etc.)
    The selected candidates will possess one or more of the listed industry certifications: CCNA, MCSE
    May require a Bachelor’s degree in area of specialty and 2 years of experience in the field or in a related area.

How badly do you want to do it? You have to live there and its not a picnic. Always risks, mines, explosions, kidnap and head chopped off on TV, witness to poverty, witness to wounds of comrades and general population, harsh climate, difficult social interaction, language problems. If you can handle all that and the disconnect of being in such a strange environment then consider.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well I just finished 2 years in Iraq, making well over $200K per year, so have no intents going back to a war zone.
    That said,
    The first job, no way!
    Maybe #3, as it would be in line with both what I was doing in Iraq and close to what I was making too.
  • jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    Everyone wrote: »
    Me personally? No. Can any of us tell you if you should? No, only you can decide that.

I'm in the same boat as some of the other guys here... "If I were single, and didn't have kids." 8 years ago I would have, the salary was a lot higher for these jobs back then too. The only problem for me at that time was that I was only halfway through my enlistment and couldn't get out early to do it.

Even if I didn't care about leaving my wife alone with soon to be 3 kids for a year, I still wouldn't take any of the jobs you posted. They're all entry to mid level positions. That might be perfect for you, but it'd be a huge step backwards for me. Hmm, if they pay that much for a low level position, I wonder how much they'd pay for a Senior level position that requires 10+ years experience... ;)

Nah. I had already made up my mind as soon as I saw the title of the email. I wanted to post it here because I was wondering what other people would do in such a situation. Would the amount of money associated with any of the positions be enough to outweigh the location of where the jobs would be located.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I was asked about a similar opportunity myself, but I have a wife and 2 kids so the answer was easy for me, I had to decline. As others have said, if I were single then I would probably do it.
  • satGtechsatGtech Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

CLIENT - SRC/TELECOMSYS
    Multiple openings

ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:

PRIMARY DUTIES:

SKILLS REQUIRED:

Equipment Experience:

CLIENT - SRC/TELECOMSYS
    Multiple openings

Job Description:

Qualifications:
    Cisco switches, routers

Hello There, I am interested in #1 position(VSAT SUPPORT ENGINEER). I am a certified VSAT technician and good experience with VSAT installation & commissioning in any geographical and weather conditions. This is because i have my own hired VSAT terminal and working on contract basis. Secondly, i am single, never married and i like take challenges, adventures and risks to work in tough geographical and extreme weather conditions. No matter whats the location and how tough it is to work.icon_thumright.gif

Could anybody here please let me guide further how can i go for this job positioning. A full help will be appreciated greatly. Thanks.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    'Safe' is very relative in this situation. In a safe zone in Afg means you are behind the wire, you don't go out on convoys (so no IEDs, or getting shot at) or anything like that. I actually felt quite safe at Bagram, Kandahar, ehh, not so much. Trust me, if you've been there, you know. :)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    colemic wrote: »
    'Safe' is very relative in this situation. In a safe zone in Afg means you are behind the wire, you don't go out on convoys (so no IEDs, or getting shot at) or anything like that. I actually felt quite safe at Bagram, Kandahar, ehh, not so much. Trust me, if you've been there, you know. :)
    LOL then Iraq was much more dangerous. No EIDs behind the wire, but plenty of mortars and even a few rocket attacks. Even on VBC...
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Am I the only one who thinks these is just a canned email from the typical recruiters that ***** on careerbuilder/monster? I swear I remember getting something like this years ago, and having nothing even close to the description.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    LOL then Iraq was much more dangerous. No EIDs behind the wire, but plenty of mortars and even a few rocket attacks. Even on VBC...

A few years ago, it was. Definitely not the case anymore. And I have friends in Iraq and they still get the occasional inbound rocket... definitely not risk free.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    colemic wrote: »
    A few years ago, it was. Definitely not the case anymore. And I have friends in Iraq and they still get the occasional inbound rocket... definitely not risk free.
    Yep, I just spent two years there. The first 18 months were calm. The last 6 were "eruptive", and the last couple of months on my FOB, it was so bad with the mortars at night, they had to issue a total exterior light ban. Got knocked to the ground by the shock several times. icon_eek.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Afganistan? Hell, my wife would probably help me pack...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...