Options

Wireless card for Server 2008 R2

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Anyone have a good recommendation? I installed my Zyxel card that works great under XP, Vista, and 7.

The machine finds the card, installed the Vista driver fine, but it does not work. Says issue with the driver. I have the latest driver available.

So I'll have to replace the card. Anyone have any good recommendations? Prefer dual band (2.4/5ghz).

Comments

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Ya gotta tell us the interface (PCIe/PCI/PCI-X) before you can get suggestions. Dual-band cards are very hard to come by these days because nobody is really making the dual-band hardware anymore for the most part except for what goes into premium notebooks so you may have to cobble one together by popping a notebook wireless adapter into a desktop interface card or you can take a chance with one of the few USB adapters that is dual-band.
  • Options
    PCI is the interface. I have found a ton of 2.4/5ghz cards, but none say if they will work under 2008 R2. So still looking for suggestions.
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    PCI is the interface. I have found a ton of 2.4/5ghz cards, but none say if they will work under 2008 R2. So still looking for suggestions.

I've never seen any that claim 2008 compatibility on the box and I wasn't aware there was any particular reason they needed to be. The general consensus when it came out was that Vista drivers would be used on 2008 installations. Just to go back to the original problem, you did install and enable the Wireless LAN service, correct?
  • Options
    Yes I did. Error message said there is an issue with the driver (which is Vista btw).
  • Options
    Yes I did. Error message said there is an issue with the driver (which is Vista btw).

Are you running the 64-bit version of the OS?
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    You might consider a USB adapter:

I have this: Edimax EW-7612UAn - 300Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n USB Adapter

and runs on Win2K8 R2 SP1 without any issues. I actually run the Hyper-V server as a router to connect the wired 'test lab networks' to my Wifi/Internet router. Performance in great (i.e. the DSL is the limit, not Wifi or USB)
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What is the error? It might be that the x64 drivers are not digitally signed, so check with the manufacturer for updated (and signed) drivers. I think any wireless NIC that has WHQL certified drivers for Windows 7 x64 should work.
    Are you running the 64-bit version of the OS?
    He's using 2008 R2 which is 64-bit only.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't catch the R2 in the initial post but both x64 releases have hardware problems. Unsigned drivers are definitely not the cause because they have obviously been installed. They simply don't work with the OS.