cissp: older study materials = lower chance of success?

jd123jd123 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, new to the forum. I can't find much regarding experiences of people using older study guides. I started studying using materials I obtained from an associate. I have to wonder if I am getting off on the wrong foot here... Has the CISSP material changed much over the years? It looks like the domains all changed not that long ago but as the exam is not overly technical I was thinking I should still be ok. I do work in the industry and keep up to date on security news...

Comments

• j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the cost of a new study book is it worth risking learning out of date material and possibly not passing, wasting your study time and exam voucher, then having to reschedule and review again before testing. Bite the bullet and get the current edition of a study guide. Used Amazon.com: CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, Fifth Edition (9780071602174): Shon Harris: Books for $40 is worth the peace of mind and your investment in your preparations!

R,

J.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Using older material puts you in danger of not knowing the newer material on the exam. The (ISC)2 does update the content of the exams, so you could find yourself in the exam room reading an item referencing "quantum cryptography" and asking yourself, "What the heck is that?"
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i completely agree with j_griffith, spend the extra money to buy yourself some update materials. minimal cost and well worth it to earn the cissp.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • zdoggzzdoggz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree that it is always safer to go with the most recent materials when preparing for an exam; however, that does not mean that you are doomed to fail if you do not. I recently took and passed the CISSP using the AIO 4th Edition as my only source of reading material. I think that the material you read is only a small part of the battle. Passing the CISSP, in my opinion, really comes down to your ability to draw upon your experiences and use your decision making skills to arrive at the best possible solution.