Failed 70-680 for the 4th time!!!

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
I've studied 4 different testing engines.

Transcender, MS Training Kit DVD, Sybex DVD, Exam Force testing engine,

I've got 17 pages of great notes.

I've read the complete MCTS Sybex book.
I also have been using the Exam Cram & MCTS Training kit book as reference guides. Then some other MCTS book. (cant remember who it's by)

I've setup VHD labs, system images, share files etc. I've discusses questions on here. I am a sys admin and I work on Windows 7 at work 40 hours a week!

I've watched some youtube videos which are "OK". I've talked with my boss and some of my colleagues who are MCITPs. I have progressively made higher scores.

1st time: 646, 2nd: 610, 3rd: 628, 4th: 682

I am getting very frustrated and feeling hopeless. What can I do to PASS this thing? Any ideas?? Thanks

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    My best advice would be to take the server tests first, then come back to this one.

There appears to be a consensus that this client test depends upon technologies that you use on the server tests.

From reports on the forums, this is one of the "most-failed" tests.

Also, please edit your original post, it refers to an illegitimate brand. (i.e., something to give you the "real" cert tests)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm kinda worried now... This would be my next test after the CISSP...
    icon_cry.gif
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I passed this recently and I used the crappy MS Press book. But it's not an easy test it relies more on experience type questions to get you through. There is an awful lot asked which is simply not in the MS Press book and I would guess any other book. You need an educated guess or just know the answer from experience. I passed with 733 which was OK I guess given the number of people failing this exam.

EDIT - Be careful too, you can only take the same Microsoft test 5 times within any 12 months
  • DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I passed this recently and I used the crappy MS Press book. But it's not an easy test it relies more on experience type questions to get you through. There is an awful lot asked which is simply not in the MS Press book and I would guess any other book. You need an educated guess or just know the answer from experience. I passed with 733 which was OK I guess given the number of people failing this exam.

EDIT - Be careful too, you can only take the same Microsoft test 5 times within any 12 months

yeah i know. I'm getting frustrated, because i've studied SOO HARD for this and the past 2 times when i hit "end exam" I seriously thought I passed and it says "you did not pass this exam" just completely surprised me!

I'm just feeling defeated and hopeless.. I really dont know what to do
    What sort of questioins are asked? Do any of the practice exams give any insight as to how they might be phrased or what it contains?
    I remember one question that asked how to install an MSI file using a logon script. I had to pause and think for a little and don't remember anything like that in the book.

In any case, you would install an MSI file using group policy not a logon script. But you get my drift, they are experience or educated guess type questions.
    I remember a question similiar to that. Based on my studies, I think msiexec.exe needs to be added to the script to deploy the application.msi to run the logon script. Something like that. It's a little unclear to me.
    So it uses the functionality of other systems as a way to throw you off?
    I guess so. I would say they ask more technical questions that are not even in their own books. But if you have a bit of experience of server OSs it makes some of the questions easier to guestimate. I've heard other posts go on about powershell too, didn't get any questions myself but there's little to no powershell mentioned in the MS Press book.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember one question that asked how to install an MSI file using a logon script. I had to pause and think for a little and don't remember anything like that in the book.

In any case, you would install an MSI file using group policy not a logon script. But you get my drift, they are experience or educated guess type questions.

Be careful about breaking NDA by discussing exam questions.
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    If you have sat this exam 4 times, that should have given you a good insite into a majority of the questions in the pool I would have thought.

You have mentioned certain things you have seen in the exam, I would suppliment my study with books and labs on those subjects as well as focusing on the areas you didnt do so well on the score card. Dont focus on passing the exam, focus on knowing the technology inside out.

Maybe it might be worth trying to locate a MCT and pay them for a few days of study to go over whats required? I know I have done that in the past.

I think if I was in your situation, I would be looking at some of the server exams just to get a break from the Win7 stuff if its getting you down.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I'm scheduled to take this exam on June 12th and I feel totally unprepared for it. I've studied off on and on for 5 months but I haven't had the time to put into it as I would have like over the last couple weeks. Well, hopefully my work experience and the little bit of experience with prior MS exams will be enough combined with the studying for me to pass this thing. If not I'll have a better chance next time and I've only got a few weeks to use the free dreamspark voucher.
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    My suggestion is to read 686 book and hands on more. Also, try to read the questions carefully as it might trick you. I passed mine on the 3rd attempt.
    Actually I was quite vague about the exact question, DerekAustin gave the answer to the question which is far worse IMO.

I gave you an answer based on my opinion. I said "Based on my studies" and "I think".. I honestly do NOT know the answer to that question. This is a techexam forum. We are allowed to discuss our opinions about exams and give insight, as long as we are not violating NDA and protecting the integrity of the vendor's exams.
    I gave you an answer based on my opinion. I said "Based on my studies" and "I think".. I honestly do NOT know the answer to that question. This is a techexam forum. We are allowed to discuss our opinions about exams and give insight, as long as we are not violating NDA and protecting the integrity of the vendor's exams.
    Point taken... cool
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I know it's been stated before, but I would advise doing the following 2 things:

1) Buy either the Darril Gibson 685/686 book or the Don Poulton Cert Guide for 70-680 and read one of them. Both books are very good - and the Poulton book covers stuff that the MS Press book either did not cover, or it covers the material in more detail.

2) If you are working on a cert that requires Server 2008 tests - TAKE THE SERVER TESTS FIRST - and then come back to this exam.

In my opinion the problem with this exam is that it depends GREATLY on some knowledge of Server 2008 R2. If you try to study for this exam without some server knowledge you will have a very hard time passing.

My preparation has included creating about 100 pages of notes from my reading of the MS Press book. I would highly recommend taking detailed notes and then review them - and take as many practice questions as possible.

Good luck. Barring any roadblocks I plan on taking this exam Friday. I'll update this thread after my (hopeful) pass.
    I know it's been stated before, but I would advise doing the following 2 things:

1) Buy either the Darril Gibson 685/686 book or the Don Poulton Cert Guide for 70-680 and read one of them. Both books are very good - and the Poulton book covers stuff that the MS Press book either did not cover, or it covers the material in more detail.

2) If you are working on a cert that requires Server 2008 tests - TAKE THE SERVER TESTS FIRST - and then come back to this exam.

In my opinion the problem with this exam is that it depends GREATLY on some knowledge of Server 2008 R2. If you try to study for this exam without some server knowledge you will have a very hard time passing.

My preparation has included creating about 100 pages of notes from my reading of the MS Press book. I would highly recommend taking detailed notes and then review them - and take as many practice questions as possible.

Good luck. Barring any roadblocks I plan on taking this exam Friday. I'll update this thread after my (hopeful) pass.

Thanks for the Advice Todd. I appreciate it. However, I work with Server 2008 every day too! lol. I do this stuff for a living. However, I think I've got a good enough grasp on this stuff now, that I think my next retake I should come out victorious. :)
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel for you DerekAustin.. I've sat (and failed) the 682 exam 3x now, the first time was the only time I came close to passing the 680 portion, and I've already passsed the 640 and 642 server exams..

One more try on the upgrade exam before I flip 680 the bird and get the 685 by itself, all my work is currently requiring icon_redface.gif

good luck next time!
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later