How important is the company when you are looking for jobs?

Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
Maybe the hiring managers around here can chip in on this too:

I was thinking about this today as I was contacted by a recruiter for a very large pharmaceutical company. How much does a big name company help towards a future job? Does putting down a big company on your resume make you stick out on future job searches or is it strictly your your job roles that are important. Obviously, getting jobs at MS/Cisco/Google or other tech companies will help but I'm wondering about non-tech companies.

Trying to decide if I should follow up on this job as is it's a step back role wise but a pretty big bump in pay.

Comments

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Repo Man wrote: »
    Maybe the hiring managers around here can chip in on this too:

I was thinking about this today as I was contacted by a recruiter for a very large pharmaceutical company. How much does a big name company help towards a future job? Does putting down a big company on your resume make you stick out on future job searches or is it strictly your your job roles that are important. Obviously, getting jobs at MS/Cisco/Google or other tech companies will help but I'm wondering about non-tech companies.

Trying to decide if I should follow up on this job as is it's a step back role wise but a pretty big bump in pay.
    I've worked for several big companies, including Intel and AT&T. In my extensive experience, its crap shoot. Some people were very impressed, some couldn't care less.
    It's nice to have, but if this is all I bring to the table, I have bigger problems to worry about...
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    It is meaningful in the hiring process if you are applying with another company in the same industry/a competitor because it shows you aren't walking into the great unknown if you take a job with them and that you have an idea of what you are getting into. Otherwise, it's Yay or Meh.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    To add on to what Waffles said... it can be important even outside of the industry. A lot of Fortune 1000 companies want you to have experience working for other Fortune 1000 companies before they will even look at you for a mid to senior level position.

It can also help with smaller companies, if the big company on your resume is a very recognizable name.

Sounds like a tough choice. I'm in a similar situation. I'd really like to move forward in my career, but am currently in the 2nd round of interviews for a job that will mean a pay increase, and adding another Fortune 100 to my resume, but a small step backwards as far as career progression goes.
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Well for me it made a HUGE difference. As a network engineer at Cisco, I also do side work from craigslist. Before I had a lot of experience, but no big companies to my name. I would get a couple clients a month to do some work.

now when I post online looking for clients. I get somewhere between 10-15 calls a week, probably 30+ if you count the recruiters. So for me it has made a huge difference.

But then again, I'm also working for one of the largest networking equipment manufacturers. So you would probably experience the same if your with Microsoft / Cisco / Juniper / HP / etc. I think in my case I get called for the simple fact that people think "Oh hes a network engineer at Cisco? He must really know Cisco stuff"... 1/4 of those calls are clients looking for Cisco IP phone setup in their office... too bad I don't know VOIP
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Working for a well known or reputable company matters when apply for most any job. IT is no different. My background and working for 5 different hotels in the IT field has helped to get me this job at the current luxury resort I am working in now without ever having to give my resume to the IT department. =D
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's a big consideration to me; working for a multi-national known around the world sure beats the smallfry around the local town. Personally I consider the size of the company/infrastructure to be most important and also the industry to a lesser degree.

But yeah, I'm a name dropper so I want big listings on my CV. Not that I have any.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    it depends on your career-path and plans. I declined an offer from Motorola some years back even though they offered me 70% more salary at that time. Why did I decline the offer ? because the responsibilities were very limited and I knew I wouldn't be learning anything ! I stayed in my smaller company, and learned what I wanted to learn, and I make more money now.

It depends on what you want to do, if a multi-national company gives you what you want in terms of experience/career-developement, then sure a good name won't hurt, but if it doesn't then stick to what you want.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    It's definitely true in the legal realm, but then again if you have legal experience most any law firm will want to pick you up especially if you have experience in one that's global. I'm finding that out right now.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    it depends on your career-path and plans. I declined an offer from Motorola some years back even though they offered me 70% more salary at that time. Why did I decline the offer ? because the responsibilities where very limited and I knew I won't be learning anything ! I stayed in my smaller company, and learned what I wanted to learn, and I make more money now.

It depends on what you want to do, if a multi-national company gives you what you want in terms of experience/career-developement, then sure a good name won't hurt, but if it doesn't then stick to what you want.
    Great minds think alike lol!

Unfortunately, I did the opposite, and loss out on learning more technology, though for less money. If I had taken the job with "the small fry", I would have had my hands on many things, and be making much more now...

The big names on my resume have sometimes been helpful, but most of the tech managers that interviewed me were more interested in what I bring to the table now, not who's name I drop...
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Working for a large, well known company is a plus for sure, but I would never sacrifice gaining relevant experience, higher-end skills, a better job title, and part of my paycheck just to get the "big name" on my resume.

My $0.02...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Well my current company just offered me a 30+% raise so I'll be staying. icon_cheers.gif