Will I ever pass another MS Exam?

jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
I took 70-294 this morning after growing tired of the sheer frustration of 70-293. I came up short here too with a 626. Way better than I've done on my 70-293 attempts. If you would've asked me 6 months ago, I would've said I felt way more confident with a network infrastructure exam than an AD infrastructure.

I really thought I had this one. When I clicked submit, I was expecting it to be in the low 700s, but a pass nonetheless. I had around 8-10 sims, and only one really had me second guessing myself. The others seemed easy and straight forward.

I'm really starting to doubt I can do this. I've got a ton of experience across the board, but unfortunately, not enough of it is with Windows server at an enterprise level doing AD. My previous job, we were a Novell (ugh) shop running eDirectory with a few Windows member servers. My current job, I'm an admin at a 24x7 coloc data center, but again, most of out customers are using Windows as a member server. The handful that do have domain environments, we don't manage their AD.

I think this and 70-293 are pretty much impossible without a LOT of "real world" experience. I lab stuff up and down, but I feel like I'm not labbing the *right stuff*.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• Cthu1huCthu1hu Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't get discouraged friend. You can do it. I got all the way through MCSA without ever dropping an exam, than dropped the 293 than the 294 and so on. I understand how you feel, trust me I've been there. An MCSE is a well earned cert in my opinion, its not an easy route at all. Get more than one book and defnitely get your study material from different sources. Learn all you can and you'll get it. You'll be there before you know it!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first and only exam I have ever failed was the 294. The higher up on the ladder you get, the harder they get and the lower the scores go. Eventually they can fall below that 700 mark and you have to take a step back and refocus your energy. Your goal isn't to pass certs, but to gain knowledge that you can then apply into the real world. Last year I was on a very tight time scale. I'm young and have lots I want to achieve. That lead me to take exams before I was 100% ready because I had "already been working for 4 weeks".

I'm still on a pretty tight time scale, but there is no shame in backing a test back or needing to take it again. As long as you keep working towards your goals, one day they will be yours.

Keep your head up and good luck on your next exam.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    jmritenour wrote: »
    I took 70-294 this morning after growing tired of the sheer frustration of 70-293. I came up short here too with a 626. Way better than I've done on my 70-293 attempts. If you would've asked me 6 months ago, I would've said I felt way more confident with a network infrastructure exam than an AD infrastructure.

I really thought I had this one. When I clicked submit, I was expecting it to be in the low 700s, but a pass nonetheless. I had around 8-10 sims, and only one really had me second guessing myself. The others seemed easy and straight forward.

I'm really starting to doubt I can do this. I've got a ton of experience across the board, but unfortunately, not enough of it is with Windows server at an enterprise level doing AD. My previous job, we were a Novell (ugh) shop running eDirectory with a few Windows member servers. My current job, I'm an admin at a 24x7 coloc data center, but again, most of out customers are using Windows as a member server. The handful that do have domain environments, we don't manage their AD.

I think this and 70-293 are pretty much impossible without a LOT of "real world" experience. I lab stuff up and down, but I feel like I'm not labbing the *right stuff*.

I feel that test preparation requires three aspects:

1. theory
    2. hands-on
    3. test practice

Figure out which one of those three you lack at, and focus on it.

If your materials are under-preparing you to understand the questions, then you need to consider different materials.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like you're getting burned out. Happened to me in 2008. I decided to take a break and work on Comptia exams. Studied like hell for the 291 and passed two and a half years after my last attempt.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good on ya for sticking to the task, taking that test 4 times is an achievement in itself, in terms of perseverance and time spent. Do you want to change it up a bit, maybe do a Server 2008 cert and then go back? You probably are burnt out from these hardcore exams.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    I had around 8-10 sims, and only one really had me second guessing myself.
    Was the topic Global Catalog? I stumbled all over myself with a sim about that and I know that topic pretty well.
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I failed this one myself, I took my time and just kept going over the material and finally passed it. When you fail it you see what areas you did poorly in and you are also now familiar with the test. Keep at it, you can do iticon_thumright.gif
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know this may sound strange but I attribute my passing my mcse to the windows nt and 2000 materials I used. You can snag cbts and books and Q&a for pennies since it's older.
    -Daniel
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to learn your own learning abilities.

When you read a chapter in an MS book, are you confident you know it?

When you lab a chapter in an MS book, does it stick more?

When you discuss in a group environment about a chapter in an MS book, does it stick more?

You need to understand where you best learn when you read a chapter. After you have followed those methods, then you should glance over the topics in the book and be able to tell yourself the content/material/purpose without even reading the chapter.

I think it's really important that at the end of your learning experience, you are able to just about tell a non-technical person, most things about the book/material.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just wanted to ask, to what dergee are you labbing? Describe your lab to us?
    -Daniel
  • kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't get discouraged friend. You can do it. I got all the way through MCSA without ever dropping an exam, than dropped the 293 than the 294 and so on.

Snap! I pased 4 exams fine to get to mcse just over a year in. Then hit 293/294 and failed them both once before failing 297. MCSE is alot harder but It can be done. Just keep studying.

What material are you using?

Kamikaze_worm
    IT Desktop Support Technician
    Comptia Exams passed - A+
    Microsoft Exams Passed - 270, 290, 291, 620, 293, 294
    Qualifications - MCP, MCTS, MCSA
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mishra wrote: »
    I think it's really important that at the end of your learning experience, you are able to just about tell a non-technical person, most things about the book/material.

One of the best learning methods is teaching. I've heard this from countless teachers/professors and have experienced it a few times myself. It just forces you to look at the material differently and gets it back on your mind.
    Decide what to be and go be it.