Do I need A+ certificate?

blackberriesblackberries Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have built my own PCs since 2003. I took 2 classes at local colleges, 1 hands on and 2nd just book studying.

while I am not the best person to know the TECHNICAL ASPECTS of things, I know how to build computers, install software, and trouble shoot them. Trying to get my first IT job but many are asking for A+ certificate. and I just KNOW that it will take me lots of studying because I am a visual person and find tests extremely hard and mind bending since I never get to have a HANDS ON experience.

what do you all think? do I really need an A+ certificate?

Comments

• MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have built my own PCs since 2003. I took 2 classes at local colleges, 1 hands on and 2nd just book studying.

while I am not the best person to know the TECHNICAL ASPECTS of things, I know how to build computers, install software, and trouble shoot them. Trying to get my first IT job but many are asking for A+ certificate. and I just KNOW that it will take me lots of studying because I am a visual person and find tests extremely hard and mind bending since I never get to have a HANDS ON experience.

what do you all think? do I really need an A+ certificate?

I'd say it depends on the type of job and the type of company and what they are looking for (unfortunately what some companies look for especially Councils are usually very unrealistic and blinkered)
    In the current economic situation a lot of employers (speaking from England's point of view) are looking at a lot more these days and want not just experience but some form of recognized qualification such as CompTIA, microsoft, cisco, ITIL etc. You may have to proove yourself not just in the real world but on paper also.

If you're trying to get your first IT job then good luck to you. I want you to succeed but it maybe difficult because not all employers maybe swayed by your own personal experience building computers(as a hobby) and your enthusiasm.

Doing the A+ should be a good experience though and when I did it i was glad I did not just for passing but for the structured and disciplined learning I got from it.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • blackberriesblackberries Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    I'd say it depends on the type of job and the type of company and what they are looking for (unfortunately what some companies look for especially Councils are usually very unrealistic and blinkered)
    In the current economic situation a lot of employers (speaking from England's point of view) are looking at a lot more these days and want not just experience but some form of recognized qualification such as CompTIA, microsoft, cisco, ITIL etc. You may have to proove yourself not just in the real world but on paper also.

If you're trying to get your first IT job then good luck to you. I want you to succeed but it maybe difficult because not all employers maybe swayed by your own personal experience building computers(as a hobby) and your enthusiasm.

Doing the A+ should be a good experience though and when I did it i was glad I did not just for passing but for the structured and disciplined learning I got from it.

So, how long does it take to study, learn, and pass all the tests for this A+ certificate? this is mainly a book course that you study on your own, and then regurgitate the knowledge on the test. correct?
  • JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you answered your own question when you mentioned looking for a job and many wanted a A+ certificate. If they want the cert and you want the job than yes, you need the cert.

I have built a lot of PCs as well, but there was still stuff I learned from the tests. So go into the experience with the attitude that there is still stuff to learn.
    WGU Progress
  • gbuc40gbuc40 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can understand where you are coming from. Just like you, I have been putting computers together, troubleshooting them, etc. for years.

I will tell you this. For me, it was very easy to study for. I learned a few things that I didn't know and the stuff I did I just skimmed over. Since you are into computers, it makes studying that much more enjoyable.

To you, I would recommend the Exam Cram (I believe 5th edition) book. I didn't read the entire thing but went over a couple of chapters and did the practice tests. The practice tests were very close to the actual exam.

You should go for it. It's a high passing an exam and getting a certification. I am now working towards 3 or 4 more and really enjoy it. Just embrace the material and you will do well.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The A+ cert doesn't promise anyone anything. The A+ cert will help keep your resume out of the trash can and get you more interviews. In the end it's how your interview goes that decides your employment.

There are a lot of HR personal that have only heard of the A+ cert and use that as a bench mark for a phone interview. Even if you are qualified for the job your resume won't get picked without it.

I noticed way more phone interviews and face to face interviews once I had mine, and my first job in IT required one. However, everyone's situation is different.

I used Mike Meyers all in one seventh edition and I thought the two exams were pretty mild. IMHO.

Good luck on your venture.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, how long does it take to study, learn, and pass all the tests for this A+ certificate? this is mainly a book course that you study on your own, and then regurgitate the knowledge on the test. correct?

The A+ is a multiple choice scenario/knowledge based exam. 100 questions/90 minutes. A lot of the questions are troubleshooting scenario based. To get a better idea check out proprofs or comptia's website for sample questions.
    It can be a mainly "book course" but you don't have to be limited to books. Professor messer does a verygood free video course on his website which covers all the a+ objectives.
    How long it takes is dependent on how much you put into studying and how quickly you can learn what is required. I took two months to study for it but to be honest I was probably ready earlier than that. It was my first proper exam in about 15 years so I was so worried about failing that i delayed taking it as i was concerned i was missing some information.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One of my employees at work said it best. A+ doesn't mean you know how to work on computers, it means you know what's inside them and what it does.

Like Gomper mentioned it helps keep your resume out of the trash can.

True story, I have a friend who has been a server adminstrator for 4 years or close to it. He graduated from a solid university with a IT degree, I forget the emphasis. Anyway he went directly into the role when he graduated and has been there ever since. He even picked up a book and banged out A+. I can't read minds, but I think he did it to mitigate against the risk of the HR department trashing his resume. He could of done MS server certs but he did A+.

Just something to think about
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Yeah, I also built computers and worked on them as a beginning. It's a fun hobby but there's so much more to learn than just putting hardware together. When I started studying on my spare time the A+ material, I learned a lot. My determination to get a job coupled with a connection landed me an internship to actually apply some troubleshooting on a company level. It's taken me about 8 months to study for the A+ and I'm ready to take the test in a couple weeks. I say take the test and build from there.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed