Options

What kind of jobs can I get with a Bachelors of IT and Administrative management?

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
Hello everyone.

Just wanted to see what my options were if I got a Bachelors of Applied Science in Information Technology and administrative management? What jobs would be available to me? I know I would have to start out at the entry level positions. What area's can I go into as far as IT and management?

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Do you have any experience? If not, likely at the bottom like most people.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Armymanis wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Just wanted to see what my options were if I got a Bachelors of Applied Science in Information Technology and administrative management? What jobs would be available to me? I know I would have to start out at the entry level positions. What area's can I go into as far as IT and management?

IT? At the bottom. Helpdesk or NOC.
    Management? With no experience, not likely.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Do you have any experience? If not, likely at the bottom like most people.

2 months of IT experience so far.
  • Options
    2 months of IT experience so far.

Elaborate... helpdesk, desktop support, NOC, what? That tells us nothing.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    Elaborate... helpdesk, desktop support, NOC, what? That tells us nothing.

well by June 30th it will be 2 months PC Desktop Technician 1. It is a contract job so thats when it ends.
  • Options
    size15shoesize15shoe Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    With 2 mos. of IT experience, you probably will have to go to Helpdesk/Desktop support and gain experience there. Management is a VERY hard field of IT to crack into without experience and an MBA. If Management is your route of choice in IT, apply for some Help Desk Coordinator/Manager roles after a few years of Help Desk experience, and earn your MBA within that time. Some Management doors may open once you do that.
  • Options
    size15shoe wrote: »
    With 2 mos. of IT experience, you probably will have to go to Helpdesk/Desktop support and gain experience there. Management is a VERY hard field of IT to crack into without experience and an MBA. If Management is your route of choice in IT, apply for some Help Desk Coordinator/Manager roles after a few years of Help Desk experience, and earn your MBA within that time. Some Management doors may open once you do that.

Would I be able to get another management job that does not pertain to IT?
  • Options
    Would I be able to get another management job that does not pertain to IT?

With no experience, probably not.
  • Options
    With no experience, probably not.

As far as any kind of entry level job in anything. What kind of fields can I get into with this Bachelors degree? IT, Administrative assistant, or something else? I am not looking for the high extensive jobs, I just want to know what jobs I would be able to apply for that are entry level.
  • Options
    As far as any kind of entry level job in anything. What kind of fields can I get into with this Bachelors degree? IT, Administrative assistant, or something else? I am not looking for the high extensive jobs, I just want to know what jobs I would be able to apply for that are entry level.

Reread this post:

For entry level IT you're looking at the helpdesk or a NOC position. That's what you need to be looking at. Just because your degree says management does not mean you'll be a member of management. If you want to be an IT Manager then you need to start out in the helpdesk or the NOC and gain the experience required. After a couple of years or so and probably an MBA you can look to moving into management.
  • Options
    Reread this post:

For entry level IT you're looking at the helpdesk or a NOC position. That's what you need to be looking at. Just because your degree says management does not mean you'll be a member of management. If you want to be an IT Manager then you need to start out in the helpdesk or the NOC and gain the experience required. After a couple of years or so and probably an MBA you can look to moving into management.

Really an MBA? You must be joking. That's a lot of school. I love computers, but maybe I am wasting my time with IT. I want a job that I enjoy and make good money. Not looking to make 100k. Just a salary of 40k-50k would be good enough, once I get the experience.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    it all depends, you don't need a MBA to move into management it helps, but its not requirement.

Now onto what you want. If you want management you have to find jobs that will put you onto a leadership track. With that said you have to learn how to follow before you can lead.

I would look for the help desk type jobs you can work now while you work on your degree. Aspire to move to Team Lead, where you can lead the troops. Here you can learn the valuable communication skills that will be needed talking to internal and external people. A degree in management these days are pretty worthless in my eyes. I would focus on learning Psychology, writing, speaking, and negotiation, and leadership for the focus of the degree.

To add on what are you goals in management. To be a Leader or Manager? There is a difference between the 2.

I've lead as many as 13 people when I was in the navy and it was the biggest challenge, but the most rewarding work I've done. With that said many people aren't cut out for it, so make sure your not one of them.

Last thing to add Leaders are made they aren't born. A natural born leader is a crock of ish. If you accept the challenge, and work at it anyone can be good at it, until they hit "Peter Principle"
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    it all depends, you don't need a MBA to move into management it helps, but its not requirement.

Now onto what you want. If you want management you have to find jobs that will put you onto a leadership track. With that said you have to learn how to follow before you can lead.

I would look for the help desk type jobs you can work now while you work on your degree. Aspire to move to Team Lead, where you can lead the troops. Here you can learn the valuable communication skills that will be needed talking to internal and external people. A degree in management these days are pretty worthless in my eyes. I would focus on learning Psychology, writing, speaking, and negotiation, and leadership for the focus of the degree.

To add on what are you goals in management. To be a Leader or Manager? There is a difference between the 2.

I've lead as many as 13 people when I was in the navy and it was the biggest challenge, but the most rewarding work I've done. With that said many people aren't cut out for it, so make sure your not one of them.

Last thing to add Leaders are made they aren't born. A natural born leader is a crock of ish. If you accept the challenge, and work at it anyone can be good at it, until they hit "Peter Principle"

I really want to work up to be a manager of something. Whether it be in business or in IT. I think that the Information Technology and administrative management degree will help me along the way. Once I become a manager, I would then like to work my way into becoming a leader.

Not sure if being an eagle scout would help in me in my goals, but I am an eagle scout. I just don't include it on my resume because people these days don't think being an eagle scout is worth as much as it was 2 years ago.

Keep in mind, I am 21 and have high hopes and goals for the future. Not sure if I should put eagle scout on my resume or not. I was also in charge of a whole troop for 6 months while i was in boy scouts.
  • Options
    I really want to work up to be a manager of something. Whether it be in business or in IT. I think that the Information Technology and administrative management degree will help me along the way. Once I become a manager, I would then like to work my way into becoming a leader.

Not sure if being an eagle scout would help in me in my goals, but I am an eagle scout. I just don't include it on my resume because people these days don't think being an eagle scout is worth as much as it was 2 years ago.

Keep in mind, I am 21 and have high hopes and goals for the future. Not sure if I should put eagle scout on my resume or not. I was also in charge of a whole troop for 6 months while i was in boy scouts.

Honestly, at 21 you need to find an entry level job and then worry about being a manager in a few years. You can't run before you walk, and you can't walk before you crawl. Look for a helpdesk job or if you want to do networking then try and find one in a NOC. The NOC can be difficult to get into depending on the company, some companies prefer you to be on the helpdesk first. If you're having a hard time landing a job then I'd work on you're A+, Net+ and a Sec+. That seems to be the general consensus around here.

Those certs will help you get noticed. If systems is for you then look at the MCITP:SA or EA. If networking then look at CCNA.

As an example, my manager has his MBA, CCNP, CCDP, MCITP:SA, ITiL 3, and a host of other certs. I have a BS, CCNA and Sec+ and work in Tier II in a NOC supporting a worldwide network.
  • Options
    Honestly, at 21 you need to find an entry level job and then worry about being a manager in a few years. You can't run before you walk, and you can't walk before you crawl. Look for a helpdesk job or if you want to do networking then try and find one in a NOC. The NOC can be difficult to get into depending on the company, some companies prefer you to be on the helpdesk first. If you're having a hard time landing a job then I'd work on you're A+, Net+ and a Sec+. That seems to be the general consensus around here.

Those certs will help you get noticed. If systems is for you then look at the MCITP:SA or EA. If networking then look at CCNA.

As an example, my manager has his MBA, CCNP, CCDP, MCITP:SA, ITiL 3, and a host of other certs. I have a BS, CCNA and Sec+ and work in Tier II in a NOC supporting a worldwide network.

Currently I have my A+ certification, which I got June 2010. I also am on a 2 month contract job as a Desktop Technician 1. That ends at the end of this month. I will also be getting my AA in Technical support in December. Then transferring to CWU (Central Washington University) to get my bachelors.
  • Options

Eagle scout wont really mean much, unless you're gunning for a job that has a requirement for "eagle scout experience". I didn't mean that in a facetious manner. When it comes to resumes, always put relevant and pertinent job info on there.

As far as your goals for Management, an MBA or Master's really cannot hurt at all. Some managers vying for positions have MBA's, Masters and 10+years of Management experience+certs (PMP, Six Sigma, ITIL, ect). If you really want to become a Manager, understand that experience is key. There are a million and one ways to get to a specific job in IT; some IT Managers dont have a "tech" degree (i.e. Comp. Science, MIS, CIS, ect) at all.

Your first stint will be at Help Desk more than likely. Id look into some Jr. Business/Systems Analyst jobs if possible as well, if you're REALLY trying to stay away from the help desk side. You may be able to go from Jr Analyst, to Analyst, to Sr./Lead Analyst (for about 7 or so total years, give or take), then move on to Management from there. Like I said, there are a million ways to get it done in IT, just find the path thats right for you, stick to it and things should fall into place.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Eagle scout wont really mean much, unless you're gunning for a job that has a requirement for "eagle scout experience". I didn't mean that in a facetious manner. When it comes to resumes, always put relevant and pertinent job info on there.

As far as your goals for Management, an MBA or Master's really cannot hurt at all. Some managers vying for positions have MBA's, Masters and 10+years of Management experience+certs (PMP, Six Sigma, ITIL, ect). If you really want to become a Manager, understand that experience is key. There are a million and one ways to get to a specific job in IT; some IT Managers dont have a "tech" degree (i.e. Comp. Science, MIS, CIS, ect) at all.

Your first stint will be at Help Desk more than likely. Id look into some Jr. Business/Systems Analyst jobs if possible as well, if you're REALLY trying to stay away from the help desk side. You may be able to go from Jr Analyst, to Analyst, to Sr./Lead Analyst (for about 7 or so total years, give or take), then move on to Management from there. Like I said, there are a million ways to get it done in IT, just find the path thats right for you, stick to it and things should fall into place.

Good Luck!

I've been working since I was 16 and kind of need a break for awhile. Took a year off, but I kind of want to finish my AA, and then finish my Bachelors and then by the time I am 23 or 24 when i finish my bachelors, I will get an entry level job into my field. That is kind of the feeling I am having.
  • Options
    I've been working since I was 16 and kind of need a break for awhile. Took a year off, but I kind of want to finish my AA, and then finish my Bachelors and then by the time I am 23 or 24 when i finish my bachelors, I will get an entry level job into my field. That is kind of the feeling I am having.

A really good idea is to finish getting the CompTIA trifecta (A+, N+, Sec+) and finish your degree while you're working. A lot of people started the IT game later on in age (myself included) so you actually have a leg-up in that aspect. Finish your AA, get your BS and by the time you finish, you should have a good 2-3 years in a Help Desk type role.

From there, a Systems Analyst may not be out of reach for you. Apply to those type jobs. Look for a Sr. Analyst/Lead role after a few years of Systems Analyst work. Tackle as many projects as allowed, get relevant certs/degree and you will be in a position to become a manager. It takes time; like the above poster mentioned, you have to crawl before you walk.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340

The only way I can see you getting into management is Enterprise Rent-A-Car does management internships and hire people with degrees into a management training program.

Other then options like that....you will need extensive experience to be manager, or rather gifted to make a "Lead" role in short term. Personally, if I were you id not stop working full time for school....id try to continue to gain experience while in school if you can.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You're ahead of the game at least. I didn't get into IT until 25, just starting to work on my degree now at 29. Did some certs when I was 28 and also working on more now along with school. Even with about 3.5 years experience and certs I just got into a jack of all trades type role doing more than just lower level help desk stuff. I would have moved quicker, but that whole bad economy thing kinda put the damper on a lot of us.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    If you want true leadership experience then join the military.
  • Options
    descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently I have my A+ certification, which I got June 2010. I also am on a 2 month contract job as a Desktop Technician 1. That ends at the end of this month. I will also be getting my AA in Technical support in December. Then transferring to CWU (Central Washington University) to get my bachelors.

I actually just graduated from Central last August with an ITAM degree specializing in network administration. I also had six years of Air Force experience before heading back to get my bachelors. I don't, however, have any IT experience besides my required internship at the Kittitas County Courthouse IS department working with routers for 2 1/2 months. I actually applied at a ton of helpdesk type jobs over in the Seattle area and Portland, OR area and I didn't even get to the interview point.

I'm currently working as a tech support agent at a local debt collection software company in Cle Elum, WA. Not doing me any good for experience in the IT field, I know. But I needed a job after I graduated. I only have A+ cert currently; but am going to start studying for CCNA soon. Then I'll be applying for helpdesk type jobs again; hopefully more successful this time.
  • Options
    I actually just graduated from Central last August with an ITAM degree specializing in network administration. I also had six years of Air Force experience before heading back to get my bachelors. I don't, however, have any IT experience besides my required internship at the Kittitas County Courthouse IS department working with routers for 2 1/2 months. I actually applied at a ton of helpdesk type jobs over in the Seattle area and Portland, OR area and I didn't even get to the interview point.

I'm currently working as a tech support agent at a local debt collection software company in Cle Elum, WA. Not doing me any good for experience in the IT field, I know. But I needed a job after I graduated. I only have A+ cert currently; but am going to start studying for CCNA soon. Then I'll be applying for helpdesk type jobs again; hopefully more successful this time.

coolio. ive got my A+ already. just concentrating on school.