boot cd for converter to usb drive?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hell guys.

I tried to convert our 300 GB file server this last weekend and it failed it 95% got to love it.

but I originally wanted to convert it to usb and and then trasfer it to datastore..

my question is this: does the usb boot converter allow to usb? because on the installed version of the converter it did not give me an option to convert to usb drive??? help guys!
icon_redface.gificon_thumright.gif

Comments

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    hell guys.

I tried to convert our 300 GB file server this last weekend and it failed it 95% got to love it.

but I originally wanted to convert it to usb and and then trasfer it to datastore..

my question is this: does the usb boot converter allow to usb? because on the installed version of the converter it did not give me an option to convert to usb drive??? help guys!
    icon_redface.gificon_thumright.gif

What was the error? Also, why not just use the Standalone converter and point it to vCenter?
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did that the 1st time and it failed at 95 percent saying Reconfiguration Error. I just want to try it cold to usb it might work better and faster that way. does the boot option converter have save to usb drive?
    itdaddy wrote: »
    I did that the 1st time and it failed at 95 percent saying Reconfiguration Error. I just want to try it cold to usb it might work better and faster that way. does the boot option converter have save to usb drive?

Have you tried a Cold Clone CD and point it to vCenter? Also, what OS?
    windows 2003 server and it is just a file and printer server. I converted it at nite time not used at all and it failed at 95 percent something to do with reconfiguration remark so I am thinking of doing it cold to a usb drive
    I think that will work better
    but does the boot disk for vm converter give that option or does the installed version give usb option? I never saw it in the installed version?
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The cold boot conversion from VMware does not give you the option to save to usb. It prompts you for network information then connects to your vCenter / standalone host. Given the fact the server booted to the disk as opposed to the OS the transfer should be faster, depending on your network of course.

Here is a recent walk through for the cold clone process.
    Terence Luk: VMware Converter P2V / Cold Clone Process
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    Also the transfer rate of USB 2.0 would be awful + conversion would probably take quite some time if it did work.

Try a Cold Clone, I've had good success with that with Dell and HP hardware.
    thanks guys I going to do the cold clone like you mention. I have hear many people say it is great. Going to do it for my file/print server 300GB
    and the mail server wish me luck. when I come back will report how it worked out. thanks guys....