Options

MCDST or 70-270?

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I already have an A+ certification, but I want to cover more on Windows XP.

Should I go for MCDST or 70-270?

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Both cover XP exclusively. MCDST is more of a helpdesk type cert, where as 270 is a bit more advanced dealing with domains and the such. Completing MCDST will greatlt prepare you for 270 also, but the reverse could also be said. Also, there are more questions on specific user programs within MCDST, such as IE, Outlook, and other Office apps.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    How much network troubleshooting is there for MCDST?

I want to be able to apply this in a large company office situation.
  • Options
    I didn't have many at all in my exams. Mostly software related issues and scenarios.
  • Options
    Does MCDST deals with indepth troubleshooting situations like the BSOD when Windows XP starts up?
  • Options
    I believe a had a couple of user reports BSOD, what should they do? But not the actual error codes.
  • Options
    dsa1971dsa1971 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RZetlin wrote:

I've been wondering the same myself. I'm getting ready to take the A+ exams and then want to get the Network+. After that I have been wondering whether to go for MCDST or 70-270. I've been leaning towards MCDST because I think it will help me with 70-270 and it might look a tad better than 70-270 alone. I just hope to get these out of the way before they start adding exams for Vista.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Not until Vista has been fully released. Dont worry same is true for win 2000 pro exam. m$ will have atleast 2 clients exams available.
    What next?
  • Options
    scooter6139scooter6139 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dsa1971 wrote:
    RZetlin wrote:

I've been wondering the same myself. I'm getting ready to take the A+ exams and then want to get the Network+. After that I have been wondering whether to go for MCDST or 70-270. I've been leaning towards MCDST because I think it will help me with 70-270 and it might look a tad better than 70-270 alone. quote]

personally, i'm aiming for A+, then Network+, then just MSP (70-270), then finish off MCDST (70-271/272), then MCSA (70-290/291)

i figure this is a good way to go for now, unless someone punches me in the head for making a mistake somewhere..... icon_rolleyes.gif