ITIL v3 Foundation - Self Study

gbuc40gbuc40 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

First, I'd like to say thank you for all of the great information here. I have been reading through quite a few posts and did not see my question answered so I'd like to ask it.

I'm self-studying for the ITIL v3-F exam. I have been reading this book.

Any feedback on this book? I got the book really cheap and is the only reason I chose this one.

So far, I find this book/subject to be extremely boring. I also feel like much of the information is not as complicated as they are making it sound. I've been studying for a couple of days and want to take it around June 13.

Side note. I just graduated and want to get a few certifications before I find a real job. I went through the cisco networking academy and I am very comfortable with the Cisco IOS, however, I still would like to take the Network+ after ITIL to give me a solid networking foundation. Then I will go after my CCNA.

I really enjoy this site. Thanks to all those who contribute!

Comments

• NadzNadz Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gbuc40 wrote: »
    Hello all.

First, I'd like to say thank you for all of the great information here. I have been reading through quite a few posts and did not see my question answered so I'd like to ask it.

I'm self-studying for the ITIL v3-F exam. I have been reading this book.

Any feedback on this book? I got the book really cheap and is the only reason I chose this one.

So far, I find this book/subject to be extremely boring. I also feel like much of the information is not as complicated as they are making it sound. I've been studying for a couple of days and want to take it around June 13.

Side note. I just graduated and want to get a few certifications before I find a real job. I went through the cisco networking academy and I am very comfortable with the Cisco IOS, however, I still would like to take the Network+ after ITIL to give me a solid networking foundation. Then I will go after my CCNA.

I really enjoy this site. Thanks to all those who contribute!

Hi gbuc40,

I haven't read that book so actually can't say much about the book. But that book is published by 'Art of Service' who are one of the leading online (and other modes) training providers for ITIL. Again, I haven't used them or their products but I have read some threads in which other people who have, seem to be happy with their training stuff. So I would say they would be alright. The reviews on Amazon seem quite positive as well.

The best way to find out how good or bad the book is to attempt some mock exams and find out how you do. That probably in itself would be a good 'test' of the book and how good it is working for you. You don't really have to read the whole book and attempt the complete exam. There are some sites which provide 'chapter or topic' based mock tests.

One if them is the Data jar one at ITIL Version 3 certification: eight sources of free ITIL V3 Foundation practice exams, and some ITIL Version 2 sources too! | The IT Skeptic.

And not to discourage or anything, but it is advisable and more beneficial for people who have some experience in the area rather than freshers. It is easier to understand if you have some experience as well. This is also probably the reason you find the subject extremely boring.

But if you still want to do it, do so by all means. It will still probably help you, if not anything atleast to stand out amongst other freshers. But do note the knowledge gained will mostly be theorotical and may not makes a lot of sense. True value will be realised only when its complimented with some practical knowledge.

This is just my view.

Good Luck with your career.

Nadz
  • gbuc40gbuc40 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I believe I landed a job (2 actually), and I brought up ITILv3-F and the manager was telling me that he wanted his entire network team to be certified in that area if the budget permits.

I really appreciate your input!