I Was Warned

barquerabarquera Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I was warned that I would gain weight while pursuing my CCNA, CCNP, CCIE. Well, turns out it was true. I have gained about 15 pounds.
I'm 1 year 7 months into my Cisco studies. So far I have obtained my CCNA and just completed a CCNA Security class. I will take the CCNA Security exam this month. In August I will start a class for CCNP Route. I hope to have my CCNP by next Summer. With that in mind it doesnt look like I will be losing the Gut any time soon.

Just thought I would share the weight gain story just in case anyone needed a good laugh. :D

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Heh, one of those unforeseen consequences of studying for a major test, (the same can happen in grad school or even undergrad college, to tell the truth.) Come to think of it, perhaps a gym membership would be a good present to yourself during your studies, and hitting up the weights or even just doing some swimming/cycling/workout classes might be just the thing to help you blow off some steam and stay sane during those marathon sessions of lab-work?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'm actually having the opposite experience, and I've lost quite alot of weight.

Of course, last years unfavorable physical results had alot to do with that.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Years and years of studying and no exercise have meant I am back to my heaviest weight since 2007.

However, I have made quite substantial lifestyle changes - I now go swimming 5+ times a week, and will be attending the gym 2-3 days a week also :)
  • barquerabarquera Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually lose weight when I go on my 3 or 4 day study/cram binges. But this is only because I drink a Red Bull which reduces my appetite for the entire day. The Red Bull helps me to stay focused for long periods of time. Once I'm back to pacing my studies then the weight just piles on again. It also doesn't help that I get off work at midnight and when I get home I RAID the refrigerator.
  • barquerabarquera Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Between my son, my Fiancé, Work and Cisco studies I just can't find the time to stay in shape.
    I'm keeping my eye on the prize though (The CCIE).
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm actually having the opposite experience, and I've lost quite alot of weight.

Of course, last years unfavorable physical results had alot to do with that.

Same here. Over the past year I have increased my level of discipline. It doesn't take that much time to exercise each day, and it increases your energy level, self-confidence, and arguably it can help you focus better.

Work to live, don't live to work :D
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ehnde wrote: »
    Same here. Over the past year I have increased my level of discipline. It doesn't take that much time to exercise each day, and it increases your energy level, self-confidence, and arguably it can help you focus better.

Work to live, don't live to work :D

Yup. I try and walk three miles a day, sometimes that doesn't happen (weather is the usual culprit, but sometimes I'm just running behind). Switched all my grains to whole grain, upped my water intake, switched to diet soda for the caffeine fix, made my snack foods healthy things like fruit, and yogurt, and the only thing the doc yells at me about now is the smoking.

Downside is that I had to replace damn near my entire wardrobe.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yup. I try and walk three miles a day, sometimes that doesn't happen (weather is the usual culprit, but sometimes I'm just running behind). Switched all my grains to whole grain, upped my water intake, switched to diet soda for the caffeine fix, made my snack foods healthy things like fruit, and yogurt, and the only thing the doc yells at me about now is the smoking.

Downside is that I had to replace damn near my entire wardrobe.
    \

I have gained 15-20 lb too studying for the CISA exam which is Saturday. Hopefully after that I can get it back down.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I must be the only one who has an inverse effect.

I used to work on a farm. I was doing hard physical labour for 8-10 hours a day straight. I was 155lbs.

Now I do nothing except sit around staring at a computer or reading a book or driving. I eat junk and steak and I can't run from here to the door.

I weigh 145lbs. I have low blood pressure, hypoglycemia and no cholestrol.

I believe I am conclusive evidence that vegetables and gyms make you fat - how many skinny people do you see going to the gym or eating healthy? None! They're all like me!
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah it's all the chocolate and crap that I eat that helped me put on 1/2 lbs a month or so for the last 4 years - due to me being inactive.

Just got back from my 20 lengths at the pool today. That makes for 98 lengths this week :)
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Guess I'm the first to say I've never had either effect..

I watch my intake and listen to my body. If I'm sitting around all day, normally just a little bit of food will make me full. If I'm doing physical labor all day, then I'm starving and pack away the food. Full to me is just feeling comfortable, not feeling like I have a ton of food in my system.

However, I have seen an increase in gut when drinking more soda a day then switching to diet to try and cancel the calories out. The diet soda hasn't worked and my pants are getting a bit tight. I don't believe the whole 0 calories thing anymore. It must make you hold water or something.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did gain alot of weight over the years studying for certs. I have since shrank back down closer to my original size via watching my diet and working out regularly. I actually study better since the change.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I notice that I gain weight if I do not exercise enough, because I like eating every day.

So, I just convince myself that if I'm going to keep eating, then I need to keep exercising. It's a "balance" thing.

Also, I have basically quit drinking soda, and don't buy loaves of bread anymore. If you ever need any incentive to quit drinking soda, here is my story: I used to work at a company that made beverage dispensers, so you basically could have unlimited free Coke soda and juice products all day long at work. It may seem cool, but too much of anything makes you realize it's not that special.

Also, if you ever see the piping they had to replace in the lab because the Coke acid ate through the pipes ... just imagine what that's doing to your insides!

Since basically cutting out soda and loaf bread (along with regular exercise, of course), I've managed to lose nearly 40 pounds since November of last year. I've lost 4 inches off the waist size of my pants, and am on pace to be hitting the next 2-inch margin within the next couple weeks.

I just got to a certain point, and I felt that I "snapped" and realized I needed to wake up, and "handle my business". In my case, I finally "woke up" when I'm beyond 30. Much kudos to those who "get a clue" earlier in life.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    heh, this is very true. I gained about 15 lbs during the length of my studies. Now I'm trying to get back into shape. Good luck with your studies!
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Yep, I've gained about 15lbs over the past 6 months or so as well. I just dusted off my running shoes last week so I can sign up for a couple of 5k races this summer. Signing up for an organized run always gives me more motivation to get out there and put in the miles.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Perhaps, Cisco should require a cardiac stress test, before allowing us to take the Lab exam. :)icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ConradJ wrote: »
    I weigh 145lbs. I have low blood pressure, hypoglycemia and no cholestrol.

Doubtful. :)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
    Here is a wild suggestion: try chia fresca. Chia seeds (2 teaspoons) in a glass of water with a bit of lime juice and a little honey or sugar. Chia seeds are extremely healthy help stave off hunger for long periods of time. Chia seeds have been reported to give people a natural kind of energy (not the jittery kind like you get from coffee).

Chia seeds hold up to something like 6x their weight in water. I'm using them to help extend my runs (I'm stuck on 12 miles right now).

Check out the reviews on amazon.com here Amazon.com: Chia Seeds 2 Pounds: Health & Personal Care

One glass of chia fresca a day. Give it two weeks and see what happens.

CHA CHA CHA CHIA! bowing.gif
    Tomorrow my 2lb bag of chia seeds arrives. Guess I'll let you know in a couple of weeks icon_lol.gif

Sorry, didn't mean to bring this thread off-topic, but it is hard to find the time to exercise and might be easier to alter your diet than it is to get into exercise.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    ehnde wrote: »
    Tomorrow my 2lb bag of chia seeds arrives. Guess I'll let you know in a couple of weeks icon_lol.gif

Sorry, didn't mean to bring this thread off-topic, but it is hard to find the time to exercise and might be easier to alter your diet than it is to get into exercise.

Diet is definitely the key. You can do all the exercise you want, if you eat sh*t, you'll find it hard to keep the fat off.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Doubtful. :)

Well, no issues with high cholesterol I should say! I had to have a health check to emigrate to Canada. The doctor said at age 21 my health was that of a 13 year old. Slightly disconcerting, but considering my dad had a heart attack at 33 and had blood pressure of 210/160 at age 58 and was still alive, I will never complain!
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    After 2 weeks do you look like Chia Pet?

I hope not. I get enough haircuts as it is!:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

2 weeks from this day a year ago, I weighed 168lbs. I just got a girlfriend, and as of 5 months ago I got back into the IT workforce. I am now almost 223... talk about excessive weight gain. :p
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
    Probably all that good food over at Cisco.....icon_wink.gif

ITdude wrote: »
    Probably all that good food over at Cisco.....icon_wink.gif

The 5 kitchens in the cafeteria is pretty legit I will say. But considering I work from home mostly now, I would say it's more or less all food my girl makes me... and maybe the beer....

Though I just moved and there's some pretty awesome hiking trails along Williams park I hit up daily. Fat be gone!
    Currently Reading:
    Cool. Is that the park on 16th and William?

New, girlfriend? icon_smile.gif

Lot's of green tea helps too!

ITdude wrote: »
    Cool. Is that the park on 16th and William?

New, girlfriend? icon_smile.gif

Lot's of green tea helps too!

Sure is, I live about 4 blocks away from it. Well not new girlfriend, I meant that in past context, as in she was new a year ago. haha.
    Currently Reading:
    Ah, okay, I thought you said that the girlfriend had exited......

Since starting out on the great cert journey about 5.5 years ago I've added 50lbs icon_redface.gif. I was never amazingly fit before but whatever energy I have left now after work tends to get spent on books. I picked up a kinect for my Xbox recently with a dedicated fitness app. and a UFC fighting game to try and get a little blood flowing.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?